Speakers after Vandersteen 7

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I look at the dimensions and do wonder...the top of the Sub9 and the bottom of the 7 appear to be a potential match. Both are 20" deep and the bottom of the 7 is 14" across and the bottom of the sub is 17" across...but tapers as it rises.

Additionally, the Sub 7 net weight per speaker is 'only' 170lbs. The Sub-9 cabinet should be able to hold that...i have to imagine spread over 4 footers, that is 42.5 lbs per footer which is not bad.

Again, as you rightfully say, whether it was designed to be setup this way or not is another matter...but aesthetically it certainly looks doable.

You would know a lot more about Vandersteens...so i suspect you are right. But sure would be fun to enable space-constrained owners to be able to stack.

I believe the idea is also to distribute the low frequency, not only to add, as the dual powered (13 inch?) woofers dig deep enough on the 7.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Perhaps this is not the place with lots of Vandy users. But if you know any ex-Vandersteen 7 users, would love to hear what they have moved to. Thanks!

I honestly don’t know anyone that purchased the Vandersteen 7 Mk2 that has moved on from them. I’m sure there is someone out there but I don’t know them. I’ve been to numerous audio shows and high-end dealers and I haven’t listened to any speakers that I preferred over them. And when you factor in their adjustability, they’re tough to beat in a less than perfect listening room.

I’ve heard lots of different amps on the Model 7 Mk2, including Aesthetix, ARC, Ayre, D’Agostino, Pass, Soulution and VTL, and my favorite amps remain the Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks by a substantial margin. There is an unmistakable synergy there that enables these amps to step out of the way and let the listener focus on the music.

I’ve had a long private audition of the Sub Nine Subwoofers and I am considering purchasing them because I felt they delivered a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Not only did the bass become more robust, there was greater delineation of vocals and instruments with performers stepping forward a bit. Placing the Model 7 Mk2 on top of the Sub Nines, in my opinion, defeats the entire purpose of having separate subwoofers, which can be optimally placed in the listening room independent of the loudspeakers.

Ken

Last edited:

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I honestly don’t know anyone that purchased the Vandersteen 7 Mk2 that has moved on from them. I’m sure there is someone out there but I don’t know them. I’ve been to numerous audio shows and high-end dealers and I haven’t listened to any speakers that I preferred over them. And when you factor in their adjustability, they’re tough to beat in a less than perfect listening room.

I’ve heard lots of different amps on the Model 7 Mk2, including Aesthetix, ARC, Ayre, D’Agostino, Pass, Soulution and VTL, and my favorite amps remain the Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks by a substantial margin. There is an unmistakable synergy there that enables these amps to step out of the way and let the listener focus on the music.

I’ve had a long private audition of the Sub Nine Subwoofers and I am considering purchasing them because I felt they delivered a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Not only did the bass become more robust, there was greater delineation of vocals and instruments with performers stepping forward a bit. Placing the Model 7 Mk2 on top of the Sub Nines, in my opinion, defeats the entire purpose of having separate subwoofers, which can be optimally placed in the listening room independent of the loudspeakers.

Ken

Good to see another long term user. The M7HPA is almost 60k a pair and only works with the 7s, so I have been reluctant to give it a try as 60k can get one many if not all interesting amp designs that work with all speakers. Interested to hear how the Agostino and M7HPA differ in your experience?

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Good to see another long term user. The M7HPA is almost 60k a pair and only works with the 7s, so I have been reluctant to give it a try as 60k can get one many if not all interesting amp designs that work with all speakers. Interested to hear how the Agostino and M7HPA differ in your experience?

In my opinion, on the Model 7 Mk2, the M7-HPA monoblocks sound more organic and denser in the midrange and treble with just the right amount of bloom. They also have substantially more weight in the lower midrange and bass.

Ken

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

If you don’t want to spend $60K on the M7-HPA but want stellar sounding amps for your Model 7’s, I would recommend the M5-HPA monoblocks. I heard them at Axpona this year and they knocked my socks off. Most of the M7-HPA’s performance at just a fraction of the price. Really impressive.

Ken

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you don’t want to spend $60K on the M7-HPA but want stellar sounding amps for your Model 7’s, I would recommend the M5-HPA monoblocks. I heard them at Axpona this year and they knocked my socks off. Most of the M7-HPA’s performance at just a fraction of the price. Really impressive.

Ken

I would be concerned about the M5-HPAs being underpowered for the M7s unless Richard said they were ok.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I would be concerned about the M5-HPAs being underpowered for the M7s unless Richard said they were ok.

Easy enough to call Richard and ask him, he takes calls. The M5-HPA's are 150 Watts RMS into 8 ohms and 300 Watts RMS into 4 ohms. The Vandersteen 7 Mk2 is 3.0 ohms nominal impedance and there is a hand off to the 400 watt subwoofer amplifiers, which drive the dual 12 inch subwoofers. The Vandy 7 Mk2’s recommended power handling capability is 40-300 watts into 8 ohms, so I am guessing that the M5-HPA will comfortably drive the Model 7 Mk2. However, the M7-HPA is double the power, so if you regularly play at high volume levels, it would probably be the best choice. The M5-HPA's MSRP is $15,000. Quite a deal in my opinion.

Ken

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I...I’ve had a long private audition of the Sub Nine Subwoofers and I am considering purchasing them because I felt they delivered a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Not only did the bass become more robust, there was greater delineation of vocals and instruments with performers stepping forward a bit. Placing the Model 7 Mk2 on top of the Sub Nines, in my opinion, defeats the entire purpose of having separate subwoofers, which can be optimally placed in the listening room independent of the loudspeakers.

Ken

Fair point on the placement of subs. Do let us know if you get them, and meanwhile thanks for posting about your experiences with them. Accords with feedback from others who have dialed-in subs and spent time with them and/or bought them.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Just ran into this thread.. I bought, this summer, Ken/Alpinist's V'steen 7.2s and M7s; apparently he is moving west and will have less room, and I was willing to fly 2500 miles to Newark, rent an SUV, retrieve the 7.2s and 'M7s, and drive them home.. Richard V. told me that to his knowledge, this was only the 4th pair of 7s ever sold by the original owner.

I'm VERY happy that I was pointed at Alpinist's ad and that I took advantage of it.. This 7.2/'M7 system is the best speaker system I've ever heard; I'm also glad that I don't qualify to upgrade the 7.2s to XTRMs, as the side-firing woofers of the Kentos are the best built-in woofers I've ever heard, and Richard told me they designed the XTRMs' side-firing woofers after hearing how much better the Kentos' woofers were over the 7.2s' woofers.. So this way I save something like 30kilobuck$.

I've been running a pair of 18"-driver Rythmik subwoofers with all my full-range speakers for a few years, at fairly low levels and with a 25Hz low-pass filter.. They make ALL those speakers sound better.

Again, TYVM, Ken.. Are you moved yet?

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I just got my original Model 7s upgraded to the XTRMs and they are a completely different speaker. The midrange is so clear and articulate while the bass is even tighter than it was. The side firing woofers affect the midrange as much as the bass given their decreased effect on the cabinet compared to the old subwoofer configuration. Richard has raised the level of this speaker to a new level.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing