1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Smashes Auction Record, Selling For $48.4 Million

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebecc...es-record-44-million-at-auction/#1807369ef74b

* Bonus: https://autoweek.com/article/auctions/1962-ferrari-250-gto-heading-auction
** Extra: https://autoweek.com/article/rumorm...errari-250-gto-most-expensive-car-world-again

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, nice thread.
I have been watching this car for a few months...it was widely publicized to become the new record holder at an auction.
Most interesting point, is that new it cost $18,000-... a huge sum for the day. Probably akin to $200,000 today.
Back then, a new Corvette was $4000.

Question becomes, with this particular Ferrari, is it ever going to be driven on the road, or track...again?
Or, is it simply going to basically rot in someone’s collection or museum..I suspect the latter.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Well, it was auctioned in your neighborhood, Monterey...same place where the Bugatti Divo was just revealed.

I don't think we truly know what was the most expensive car...like the link from that "Extra" above...$70 million (between 70 and 80).
Because some sales are private, same as in audio.

* It's easy to start a nice thread; we all love cars here. ...Electric, hybrids and ICE. You just can't go wrong with this topic here @ WBF...that'll be the day. :b

Davey, it's a collectible; my best guess is that it's going to end up in a private collection inside a mansion.
Perhaps in Saudi Arabia...Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Canada. ;-)

* A rockstar musician would probably drive it for fun. ...A very rich popstar, like Sir James Paul McCartney?
But that car as a today's investment, ten or twenty years from now, could perhaps fletch $100 million as a rock solid weight of gold?
Of course it's not like Tesla shares, or Apple shares, or Amazon, Google, but it's neither like Bitcoin. ...It's like a bottle of Coca-Cola.
_____

"Another 250 GTO was sold privately earlier this year for an alleged $80 million to the CEO of Weathertech. It's believed that the 250 GTO—the most valuable model of car in the world by far—may cross the $100 million threshold within the next few decades. We can only wait to find out if that'll be true."
_____

From what I know, there is not a single member here @ WBF who can pay that much for a car...around $50 million.
But what I don't know is if there is one or two registered members, or guests who keep a very low profile and who never posted, but could afford to pay that much for a car and have plenty of money left over...like plenty of it...billion.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Greg Whitten (seller of this car) lives in the Seattle area and often displays his considerable collection at Redmond Exotics. Greg is a friend of my friend (an audiophile and high end audio designer) who started Redmond Exotics, a 'Coffee and Cars' regular event Saturday mornings..........spring, summer and fall......weather permitting. I get a text notice on my phone each week to confirm it's going to happen.

as far as neighborhoods one might find cars like this, here in Bellevue (where I work) we have a Neighborhood with Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Paul Allen.....and guys like Greg Whitten. lots of private collections......we don't see them driven on the street much like other spots.....but they are here.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Greg Whitten (seller of this car) lives in the Seattle area and often displays his considerable collection at Redmond Exotics. Greg is a friend of my friend (an audiophile and high end audio designer) who started Redmond Exotics, a 'Coffee and Cars' regular event Saturday mornings..........spring, summer and fall......weather permitting. I get a text notice on my phone each week to confirm it's going to happen.

as far as neighborhoods one might find cars like this, here in Bellevue (where I work) we have a Neighborhood with Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Paul Allen.....and guys like Greg Whitten. lots of private collections......we don't see them driven on the street much like other spots.....but they are here.

too bad he never gave you a ride..maybe it's a one seater ?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
never seen the 250 GTO myself and I don't know Greg personally, I've seen him at the Redmond Exotics a few times. i have seen both his LaFerrari's at the Redmond Exotics event (see below).

View attachment 43550

..didn’t you say he was a friend of yours in your first post? :)

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing