FIRE IN THE HOLE(Coffee Pot)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A couple of weeks ago I walked into the Kitchen, I observed the coffee pot to be engulfed in flames. It took me a moment to process this. It was in the afternoon when the morning coffee was already consumed and the automatic shutoff was already activated. I know this because it beeps when this occurs. A shout to tp my brother in law and I attempted to smother the fire. We own a fire extinguisher, but things seem to escape memory in the heat of panic. The kitchen towels merely burst into flames. My brother in law tried to dowse it with water to no avail. I dashed for the linen closet and grabbed a thick large tile. This quickly smothered the flame. Minimal damage was done because my sister had placed a metal plate between the coffee pot and counter. If I had not been home it was sure that a serious fire would have ensued.

In this age of product liability suits, it would seem problems of this nature were a thing of the past. Apparently not.

Be safe.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A couple of weeks ago I walked into the Kitchen, I observed the coffee pot to be engulfed in flames. It took me a moment to process this. It was in the afternoon when the morning coffee was already a consumed and the automatic shutoff was already activated. I know this because it beeps when this occurs. A shout to tp my brother in law and I attempted to smother the fire. We own a fire extinguisher, but things same to escape memory in the heat of panic. The kitchen towels merely burst into flames. My brother in law tried to dose it with water was to np avail. I dashed for the linen closet and grabbed a thick large tile. This quickly smothered the flame. Minimal damage was done because my sister had placed a metal plate between the coffee pot and counter. If I had not been hom it was sure that a serious fore would have ensued.

In this age of product liability suits, it would seem problems of this nature were a thing of the past. Apparently not.

Be safe.
wow Greg

you got away very lucky I would say.

any idea re the cause. How old was the unit

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good for you! A year ago, we were all half asleep; my son wakes up, wants water, gets water... and then 5 minutes later, the smoke alarms go off. 2ft thick smoke in the ceiling, fire in the stove. He had accidentally pushed one of the knobs on the front, the electric element lit up, and the cloth sitting on top of it caught fire. Pain, had to vacuum the electrostatic panels (I know, audiophiles with problems). The interesting thing about it all was my wife's reaction; she did not get out, help out, or call anyone... she went hiding in the basement, and we couldn't find her. Panic is a real problem.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
wow Greg

you got away very lucky I would say.

any idea re the cause. How old was the unit

The coffee pot was a thrift store purchase. ? years old. It was raining and the surge protector was removed to make more cabinet space. It was recommended that small appliances be unplugged when not in use. That seems like a harsh remedy given tdays technology.
IMO age should not matter. Certain equipment should be "fail-safe." They should be designed to become inoperable before becoming dangerous.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Good for you! A year ago, we were all half asleep; my son wakes up, wants water, gets water... and then 5 minutes later, the smoke alarms go off. 2ft thick smoke in the ceiling, fire in the stove. He had accidentally pushed one of the knobs on the front, the electric element lit up, and the cloth sitting on top of it caught fire. Pain, had to vacuum the electrostatic panels (I know, audiophiles with problems). The interesting thing about it all was my wife's reaction; she did not get out, help out, or call anyone... she went hiding in the basement, and we couldn't find her. Panic is a real problem.

God speed to you also.

Anecdotally most people are killed by smoke inhalation rather than incineration. I used to get lawyer reports. A lot of people have smoke alarms tat are not properly maintained, placed or simply don't work.
A fire escape plan is a good idea especially for children. Call 911 immediately. Take my word for it, they prefer false alarms to the alternative.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow that's scary. And to think we are all worried about leaving on valve amps, when it's the coffee pots. Do you feel lucky today?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Scary. Crockpot catches fire.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Glad it all worked out! we keep rope ladders in our kids rooms just in case these things happen.

Dave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing