What artist do you like that you are (almost) embarrassed to admit?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Mine is Justin Timberlake - he's an amazing performer and has some really catchy tunes. I have a friend who does the ProTools sound for his tours and he's very much a perfectionist, but a good guy in person.

Some of his better tracks:

He also did the history of rap with Jimmy Fallon that is great:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Karen Carpenter.

Larry

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dr.Hook

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Abba and Plan 9(girl and guy guitarists group from LA?).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Karen Carpenter.

Larry

That is funny, to me, Larry because I am not remotely embarrassed that Karen Carpenter had one of my favorite voices of all time!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here’s mine, Stefani Germanotta, aka....Lady Gaga.

I don’t know why I should be embarrassed, as she has more talent in her little finger than just about anybody in the music world today...but that is IMO.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
That is funny, to me, Larry because I am not remotely embarrassed that Karen Carpenter had one of my favorite voices of all time!

+1...one of my favorite voices.

Any takers for Christina Aguilera?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
+1...one of my favorite voices.

Any takers for Christina Aguilera?

Me :) At least when she isn't trying too hard to be Etta James.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Barry Manilow, Lionel Richie. Love songs in high school, and then college. :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Barry Manilow . . .

My father worked for many years at Arista Records when Whitney Houston, Air Supply and Barry Manilow were soaring in popularity. I barely could stand Barry Manilow's nasaly, New "Yawk" voice, but between great song writers and some artistic guidance by Clive Davis (e.g., Mandy) I think some of the songs (if not his singing) are great.

Admitting to liking some Barry Manilow songs . . yep . . . that I'm embarrassed about.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As a music omnivore I am rarely embarrassed by any of my selections.
Headphones provide privacy.
My 5 year old nephew reminded of one when he came home singing one of those songs you just can't get out of you head. There is a name for them.("Earworms." Thank you Google.).
Biz Markie, Just a friend. He sounds more like a hound dog howling. He has a thing for a girl who claims her current boyfriend is just a friend. Despite having no musical ability he does a credible job of conveying his broken heart.
Another is ,Hey Mickey, Toni Basil. It is a fun song about a high school crush. Sounds like a marching band.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Barry Manilow and Barry White. I never criticized any artist who could help me get laid.(Layed? you know what I mean)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Barry Manilow and Barry White. I never criticized any artist who could help me get laid.(Layed? you know what I mean)

'I Write the Songs' makes me remember a particular year when I was in high school. And 'As Sure as I'm Standing Here' makes me remember a particular girl whom I saw in my neighborhood a lot. Even today her face instantly flashes across my mind when the first words of the song comes in via mp3 car stereo. :D It's all about memories...

Sad to say, no LPs of Manilow sound great, recording-wise. :(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Of course there was the whole era of the "falsetto voice" that permeated R&B and Bubble gum Rock.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Not embarrassed by it but most would not guess it....Madonna.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing