Less equipment - less forum threads = more music

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
All my kit has been in storage and boxes since my dedicated audio room has been built, and the most bizarre thing happened. I was reduced to downloads, my Apple Mac Pro, and some headphones I got from MAplin for £40.00.
I found that I connected too and enjoyed my music as much, if not, more than ever. I was obsessed over the various audiophile qualities that we go in search off, nor the kind of records that demonstrate and highlight the brilliance of whatever component I had.
I also found I was hardly o the forums arguing out this or that - I was too busy enjoying the music.
Has anyone else had a similar experience at any time?
My love for music developed over listening to cassette tapes, a personal stereo, and many a cheap old radio.
Are we missing the point with audio?
Is it a bit like not worrying about money because you have none?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's the same thing with any other hobby.

I had all my stereo equipment in storage for years; and I was fully enjoying what I was doing, including the music playing on the road. Some friends were asking me if I was missing my main audio gear; not one bit as I live in the moment and that moment was/is totally satisfying.

We're not missing a thing if what we're doing is our thing in the moment of passion, regardless.
If we worry about money we are lost.

That's how I think and live. The music is always in me, it's always playing and I'm dancing with it.
It's good for the kids, it's good for all of us.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For a year and a half I lived with headphones and my computer while my speakers were being built for me. I enjoyed music as I always do but the big rig remains the expression of my musical wishes. I like to feel the music not just hear it and only a big rig will do that for me. Just wait until your main system is back on line. ;)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
When I started finishing off my house renovations I packed away my dedicated system (the Maggies) as I worked on the room and just left out my second system (Harbeth 30.1s at that time) in the main living area as my daily music driver.

Then when the house went on the market I knocked it back to just some borrowed desktop genelecs and a nova integrated amp for an unobtrusive small setup which also did background music duties during open houses.

Then when sold I packed it all up and was just on iPhone and headphones for the months that followed and am only now about to get all the big boys toys back up and working in my new temporary living space.

To be honest I loved the music from any or all of these options as long as I could have some good music for that having music for survival part of me I was still OK.

But I’d visit mates houses with real systems during those nine months and that excitement of listening and (just as Jack says) feeling the music and it would all come flooding back. So much so I’ve even put in some upgrades and am on course to have my target three systems (20.7 Maggies for panels for the next dedicated listening space eventually, 40.2 Harbeths for open plan living space and horns with SET for the workroom tba)

It’s been good to ween off for a while and appreciate that I can still go back to the basics and love the music but the feeling of music resonating throughout your body is another level to experience. The fact that my body still likes to dance to that music is that other most base level buzz to both being in the music and then the music being in you.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I was supposed to do some testing of speaker toe in for my loudspeaker review thread, but I was too busy just enjoying music.

For me, listening to string quartets, for example, on my new system brings much more pleasure and involvement than hearing them reproduced on anything else in the past. The reproduction is just unbelievable, and I am less concerned about flaws than in the past, and less distracted by them.

So does my system bring me closer to the music and is that worth it? YES!

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
.We had lived in our previous home for 38 years in CA but moved to OK to be near kids/grandkids.
The Wilsons, components remained in crates/boxes for two years while we moved in and worked on the new home. During that period the music quality was way down the list of priorities and not missed BUT once we put it back in WOW. Once again I am more involved in the music. In short, I can be OK without the best system, for me, but not anywhere near as content with enjoyment as with it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I love music, for me an important part of the hobby is the audio part. I do not feel that audio takes my music time - if it was not for the equipment and forums I would probably have another activity or hobby, perhaps not listening much more time than currently.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Today I had another great music session on my system, with string quartets by Bartok and Beethoven, Red Lanta by Ian Garbarek and Art Lande, and Varese's high octane orchestral work Arcana (twice). It was a thrill ride! And a highly caffeinated one at that when the music asked for it, and the system without hesitation delivered.

There is just no way that a radio or YouTube over computer and headphones could ever give me such an exciting musical experience. Yes, having a great system is worth it! Not just for the sound, but for the music.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
When I started finishing off my house renovations I packed away my dedicated system (the Maggies) as I worked on the room and just left out my second system (Harbeth 30.1s at that time) in the main living area as my daily music driver.

Then when the house went on the market I knocked it back to just some borrowed desktop genelecs and a nova integrated amp for an unobtrusive small setup which also did background music duties during open houses.

Then when sold I packed it all up and was just on iPhone and headphones for the months that followed and am only now about to get all the big boys toys back up and working in my new temporary living space.

To be honest I loved the music from any or all of these options as long as I could have some good music for that having music for survival part of me I was still OK.

But I’d visit mates houses with real systems during those nine months and that excitement of listening and (just as Jack says) feeling the music and it would all come flooding back. So much so I’ve even put in some upgrades and am on course to have my target three systems (20.7 Maggies for panels for the next dedicated listening space eventually, 40.2 Harbeths for open plan living space and horns with SET for the workroom tba)

It’s been good to ween off for a while and appreciate that I can still go back to the basics and love the music but the feeling of music resonating throughout your body is another level to experience. The fact that my body still likes to dance to that music is that other most base level buzz to both being in the music and then the music being in you.

This kinda condenses much of my hopeful thoughts - ie I have been making the best of a bad situation so to speak.

What I have found is that it has helped me reconnect with music and not getting so neurotically obsessive - all said that will start again in my purpose built room ;)

The thread was not a challenge on my part but a genuine discussion for others who may have come away with similar thoughts...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing