DB Protractor DBP-10

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a question about the DBP-10. The instructions have you use the white card with the -15/15 degree scale and points A and B in conjunction with the clear card. However, the back of the white card also has points A and B with the grids.

Is the purpose of using the clear card and the scale to help one figure out how much to adjust the cartridge for each iteration? If so, do you get just as good an alignment using the back of the white card?

I guess I am wondering if I can just use the grids with points A and B.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have a question about the DBP-10. The instructions have you use the white card with the -15/15 degree scale and points A and B in conjunction with the clear card. However, the back of the white card also has points A and B with the grids.

Is the purpose of using the clear card and the scale to help one figure out how much to adjust the cartridge for each iteration? If so, do you get just as good an alignment using the back of the white card?

Just use the grid with point A and B. I don’t use that other card

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just use the grid with point A and B. I don’t use that other card

Same here. Only use the one with null point A and B. Sound great as is.

Tang

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've found that you only have to use the clear card if you have a slotted headshell and a fixed tonearm mounting. With the SME sliding base, you just use the one card.

DDK is the expert on this device, I'm assuming that he trained his American Sound clients Christian and Tang to use the one card.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I've found that you only have to use the clear card if you have a slotted headshell and a fixed tonearm mounting. With the SME sliding base, you just use the one card.

Even with a slotted head shell I don't see the need for the other card. The SME sliding base is the equivalent of a slotted head shell. The geometry should be the same.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The clear gauge is for measuring distortion, you can use it to check your setup with the SME or any other arm some of which don't give you any means for proper alignment or the it's geometry requires some compromise. For alignment setup you just need the white card with the graph and A & B null points.

david

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks David and everyone for your helpful comments.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO the DBP-10 is meant to be used when you need to rotate the cartridge. What are the exact A and B distances from the center of the spindle? You should use it only if they are the same as in the SME protractor or want to use an alternative geometry.

Theoretically we could use only the A point to align a SME - if A is correct B should also be in the proper alignment. Older SME protractors had a single point. In a real world with small errors we can play to split errors between A and B! :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
IMHO the DBP-10 is meant to be used when you need to rotate the cartridge. What are the exact A and B distances from the center of the spindle? You should use it only if they are the same as in the SME protractor or want to use an alternative geometry.

Theoretically we could use only the A point to align a SME - if A is correct B should also be in the proper alignment. Older SME protractors had a single point. In a real world with small errors we can play to split errors between A and B! :)

I didn’t think that the DB protractor was only for SME arms.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I didn’t think that the DB protractor was only for SME arms.

But probably it was designed for a defined tonearm length according to a defined alignment. It seems to me the DB-10 is a tool designed to help the user, not a calibrator.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
But probably it was designed for a defined tonearm length according to a defined alignment. It seems to me the DB-10 is a tool designed to help the user, not a calibrator.

I am using it to align a cartridge on my vintage Denon DP-59L. I had been using the MFSL Geo disc. I think this should do a better job.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

No, it's a Baerwald (what you want for the SME) protractor for any length arm of course you can use it for Stevenson or Loefgren too just add the null points on the graph with a marker. You have another gauge to help you setup tonearms that fall outside any of these standard parameters too. The DB-10 is just a better easier to use tool than many of the other protractors I used in the past.

david

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Even with a slotted head shell I don't see the need for the other card. The SME sliding base is the equivalent of a slotted head shell. The geometry should be the same.

Not so. With a slotted headshell, any re-positioning of the cartridge results in a change in effective length and thus offset angle. Just moving the arm in a sliding base only changes overhang and P2S distance. Effective length remains the same.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Not so. With a slotted headshell, any re-positioning of the cartridge results in a change in effective length and thus offset angle. Just moving the arm in a sliding base only changes overhang and P2S distance. Effective length remains the same.

Thanks for the clarification and correction.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, it's a Baerwald (what you want for the SME) protractor for any length arm of course you can use it for Stevenson or Loefgren too just add the null points on the graph with a marker. You have another gauge to help you setup tonearms that fall outside any of these standard parameters too. The DB-10 is just a better easier to use tool than many of the other protractors I used in the past.

david

Thanks - I knew that the 3012-R is Baerwald - but some other SME's have the Stevenson alignment. It was in this sense I was telling that, using the points supplied it was not a reference. In fact the Baerwald points are not independent of tonearm length - but the differences from a 9" to a 12" arm are negligible , just around .2mm.

But my main point, just aimed at users of SME 3012R, not people using other tonearms or wanting to use slotted headshells, was why getting all this DB-10 system if we will not need it for a SME 3012-R? Isn't the SME protractor more than enough?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks - I knew that the 3012-R is Baerwald - but some other SME's have the Stevenson alignment. It was in this sense I was telling that, using the points supplied it was not a reference. In fact the Baerwald points are not independent of tonearm length - but the differences from a 9" to a 12" arm are negligible , just around .2mm.

But my main point, just aimed at users of SME 3012R, not people using other tonearms or wanting to use slotted headshells, was why getting all this DB-10 system if we will not need it for a SME 3012-R? Isn't the SME protractor more than enough?

The protractor is often missing and isn't as easy as the DB Systems one to read. It's about the quality of the tool :)!

Of course you can use it with many other tonearms too and has tools similar to the one you used to figure out if you have the correct overhang for your arm+cart combination.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The protractor is often missing and isn't as easy as the DB Systems one to read. It's about the quality of the tool :)!

15 pounds including shipping will bring us a band new one with the SME logo! And, in this subjective hobby, my myopic eyes prefer the SME sharp and clear regular lines to those of the DB-10 ... :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
15 pounds including shipping will bring us a band new one with the SME logo! And, in this subjective hobby, my myopic eyes prefer the SME sharp and clear regular lines to those of the DB-10 ... :)

Whatever floats your boat but don't knock it before you try :)!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing