Open Back Headphones

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I'm looking for 2017 or 2018 released, 500USD to 1,500USD, Open Back Headphones that are good for listening to both "Classic(mostly) and Rock Music(sometimes)".

I googled the web, and have a few questions:

How are Audeze and Sennheiser Open Back Headphones?

What are the pros and cons of Audeze and Sennheiser Open Back Headphones?

The Sennheiser HD660s, has anyone tried it yet? What do you think about the headphone? One problem about the Sennheiser HD660 Headphone is that it uses Hi-Res, and my iPhone and MacBook Pro do not support Hi-Res(and they are still using 3.5mm Jacks).

I've been waiting for the new releases of the Audeze Open Back Headphones, but the LCD2 is Closed Back Headphone.

What do you think? Any piece of advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You need a matching amp for whatever you get. All of those review well. I think the LCD's are rather appealing.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In this range, I really like the Audeze MX4 and the Grado PS500 for open back headphones. I would also look at the Hifiman Sundara headphones.

If you like a warmer sound, the LCD 2C from Audeze are excellent.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread...you might find this interesting reading if you haven't already seen it. Check out their comment on the Wall of Fame Focal Open-backed headphones for $1499 which is in your stated target range:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-open

"For the first time I can unreservedly recommend a $1000+ headphone. If you've cautiously made the headphone enthusiast approved treck from a Koss Porta Pro to the Sennheiser HD 600/650, and have found your carefully protected wallet stuck there without a sure fire step up, now you have it. Even if it's a financial stretch, the Focal Clear is worth the struggle for an end-game headphone. That's not a recommendation I make lightly.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-open#6xtjm8G5ECwR3ZQq.99"

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Check out the Music Direct website. Many choices included the ones mentionned. 60 day money back guarantee.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
If you like a warmer sound, the LCD 2C from Audeze are excellent.

I read some Audeze LCD 2 Classic(Open Back) reviews, and they say the LCD 2C is better with contemporary popular music. Is a rock and pop headphone.

Thanks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ambient sound is a euphemism for open back.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Should I try to get a Neutral Headphone? Since I listen to Classic(mostly) and Rock Music(sometimes).

Thanks.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I like the Sennheiser HD 800.
Some of the top audiophile labels like, https://www.soundliaison.com/ and http://www.2l.no/ use them for monitoring and mixing.
For a cheaper and maybe less analytical sound I like the Audio technica ath r 70x open back.
These albums where partly made with the Sennheisers;

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I was reading Sennheiser HD 820 reviews.

I do not understand the following parts...

1.Sennheiser doesn’t give these cans the mid-bass bump that practically everyone else employs, and instead promotes the upper mids to be more prominent. The treble is expertly handled, and the bass extends super deep, even if it is lean. The dynamic range of these headphones is ridiculous, and you’ll hear both the highest and lowest, most subterranean notes in any recording.

2.(Sennheiser HD 820)their elevated mids mostly neutralize any sense of added low-end punch.

Aren't those good for a headphone?

Thanks.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Just to throw another name into the mix, I'm really enjoying my HiFiMan Ananda and they are superior to the HiFiMan HEX V2, at about $300 less, that just failed on me.

The talk about a 8Khz bump is not apparent to me but they sure are clear, balanced and airy. The HEX sound thick and heavier by comparison.

They're very close to the much pricier HEK imo and don't need a dedicated headamp to get the best out of them. And very comfortable too.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The HD800 is still the best all around headphone. The HD800S model fixes a 6 kHz peak that was present in the venerable original HD800. Many of us have performed a simple modification to our original HD800 to do the same. But all headphones are an exercise for the listener in being able to overlook fairly significant tradeoffs. They are always "pick your poison". For a while I had a pair of Focal Utopia headphones, and for all they did well, still suffered from a few fatal flaws. Most notably a treble coloration from the Beryllium drivers. And this to me was unacceptable at $4K MSRP (I paid significantly less)... Bass is a weak point for almost all headphones, save for the Hifiman HE6, which then has other tradeoffs. I've gone round and round on the headphone merry-go-round and ended back basically where I started ... at the HD800. Overall, its definitely not perfect but its tradeoffs are the most reasonable. So instead of trying to find a truly better all around "can", I simply listen to speakers more often than not.

Reactions: APP

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Edliu,

MrSpeakers ETHER Flow

https://thepcenthusiast.com/mrspeakers-ether-flow-review/

(or the older "normal" model, as second hand, which I have) is worth considering.
It’s one of the few open headphones in the “still reasonably priced range” :rolleyes: (?!?!), that I use in addition to my Electrostatic STAX phones.
And they are very comfy to wear..!

Regards

Urs

BTW: the Senni 820 is closed back and suffers all those associated problems of a closed back – even though I admit it belongs to the better ones in this group.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was reading Sennheiser HD 820 reviews.

I do not understand the following parts...

1.Sennheiser doesn’t give these cans the mid-bass bump that practically everyone else employs, and instead promotes the upper mids to be more prominent. The treble is expertly handled, and the bass extends super deep, even if it is lean. The dynamic range of these headphones is ridiculous, and you’ll hear both the highest and lowest, most subterranean notes in any recording.

2.(Sennheiser HD 820)their elevated mids mostly neutralize any sense of added low-end punch.

Aren't those good for a headphone?

Thanks.
Depends on your point of view or preference. Headphones are notoriously week or absent of low bass for obvious reasons. This also happens in mini-monitors. Adding a rise in the frequency response in the low regions can give a sense of greater bass. It is of course not "neutral" or "flat."
If you are, for instance, a hard rocker that absence of bass can be a real downer. OTOH For other types of music it nay be annoying.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
For a while I had a pair of Focal Utopia headphones, and for all they did well, still suffered from a few fatal flaws. Most notably a treble coloration from the Beryllium drivers. And this to me was unacceptable at $4K MSRP (I paid significantly less)...

What do you think of the Utopia Headphone and the brand Focal? I googled, and it only said that Focal is a French brand.

Thanks.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Depends on your point of view or preference.

"I'm looking for 2017 or 2018 released, 500USD to 1,500USD, Open Back Headphones that are good for listening to both "Classic(mostly) and Rock Music(sometimes)"."

Are there any brands and models that you'd recommend?

Thanks.

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
What do you think of the Utopia Headphone and the brand Focal? I googled, and it only said that Focal is a French brand.

Thanks.

Edliu,

If you can get a Focal Utopia in your price range, go for it (New I think they are around 4000- Dollars / Euros or so:(:rolleyes:)

FOCAL is indeed a French speaker company, associated with NAIM and they enjoy a very good reputation over here in Europe.
The Utopia phones especially are also rated very highly...but so they should for this money... ;)

Very important for such phones : a dedicated top HP- amp ! (otherwise it may be a waste of money)

Regards

Urs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing