FS: John Coltrane - Soultrane, US first pressing, promo vinyl

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Hi all, selling some more of my most valuable and highly collectable vinyl. I listed a couple of UK first pressing Black Sabbath records here a while back and this is another record in super clean condition.

True first pressing with first label/address (Bergenfield NJ) on label. Heavy weight what feels like 180g vinyl, as many of those 50s pressings often were. NOT recycled vinyl that a lot of Prestige recordings used. In my opinion the solid state cut reissues sound fine, but this tube cut has the presence of fresh master tapes. My personal favorite Coltrane album on Prestige, and rightfully reissued so many times. And this record is mono, cut on a true mono cutting head by Rudy Van Gelder with RVG in the dead wax.

In doing a search for Walt De Silva California Record Distributor the only information I could find was this other promotional prestige LP of the famous Tommy Flanagan album:
https://www.popsike.com/TOMMY-FLANAGANOverseas-super-rare-orig-1958-LP-1st/200452974599.html
https://www.popsike.com/RARE-JAZZ-L...42-DG-RVG-203-S-PROMO-Clean/142138885816.html

Play graded on a stereo Soundsmith cartridge that is really revealing of surface noise (elliptical stylus) with no mono switch and is of course even quieter on a true mono cartridge like my friend's Miyajima.

Sound quality- the word that kept coming to my mind is how natural it sounds. Not remotely bright or harsh, but just with tremendous presence, for instance during the bass solo on the first track the ride cymbal is nice and soft, and not brittle and splashy like I’ve heard on every solid state cut.

Will be shipped in a box intended for a Mosaic box set with lots of padding on either end.

Jacket- VG there is a seam split along the top seam. Some general age wear along the back.
Vinyl is visually VG+, there are just the lightest hairlines from the original paper inner sleeve. I've cleaned it and it's in a rice paper inner sleeve. There are no spindle trails are marks on the label.

Play grade:
Side 1- incredibly quiet in the lead in groove and first few seconds of music which opens as a softer tracker.
Side 2- very low level surface noise in the lead in groove and first second seconds of the opening piano bit. Some low level surface noise in some of the quietest moments like the start of Theme For Ernie.
NO distortion. Like I said above it looks like this record was seldom if never played before I played it, as such there is no hashy, groove distortion type breakup on loud transients.

$590 including insured shipping in the US.

Pictures:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Make this $540 including shipping/Paypal fees within the US. Someone asked me about the VG+ grading on the vinyl, it's very conservative and pretty much as clean as it gets for vinyl pressed in the late 50s due to the paper inner sleeves leaving some very light hairlines.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing