Iconic Album for Jimi Hendrix

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Brief Biography From Hendrix Official Site.

https://www.jimihendrix.com/biography/

"Widely recognized as one of the most creative and influential musicians of the 20th century, Jimi Hendrix pioneered the explosive possibilities of the electric guitar. Hendrix’s innovative style of combining fuzz, feedback and controlled distortion created a new musical form. Because he was unable to read or write music, it is nothing short of remarkable that Jimi Hendrix’s meteoric rise in the music took place in just four short years. His musical language continues to influence a host of modern musicians, from George Clinton to Miles Davis, and Steve Vai to Jonny Lang.'

"

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Lots of great stories about Jimi. The most famous one...and the one that I really like, is when Les Paul heard him for the first time...and stated that ‘now I know how God plays the guitar’!
In the guitar world, most people believe ( and I am certainly one of them) that IF Jimi had known how to read or write music, he wouldn’t have been able to do anything close to what he accomplished. The aspect of reading/writing would have kept him back... a controversial opinion, but one that I,and many other pros, believe to be the case.
Interestingly, SRV couldn’t read/write , nor can from what I know...Eric Clapton, or for that matter numerous great guitarists and other instrumentalists. Nonetheless, there aren’t too many studio musicians that cannot read/write, and there are many pro guitarist that can. Question is, how much does the skill of reading and/writing hold them back...?

BTW, I can’t remember exactly why Jimi played his Strat upside down, but I think it was something to do with changing the intonation and he preferred the intonation that way, correct me if I am wrong though.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Some nominations for wbf best of hendrix abum

Fire
Star Spangled Banner
Foxy Lady
Castles Made in Sand
Power to Love
Hey Joe
Voodoo Child

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Lots of great stories about Jimi. The most famous one...and the one that I really like, is when Les Paul heard him for the first time...and stated that ‘now I know how God plays the guitar’!
In the guitar world, most people believe ( and I am certainly one of them) that IF Jimi had known how to read or write music, he wouldn’t have been able to do anything close to what he accomplished. The aspect of reading/writing would have kept him back... a controversial opinion, but one that I,and many other pros, believe to be the case.
Interestingly, SRV couldn’t read/write , nor can from what I know...Eric Clapton, or for that matter numerous great guitarists and other instrumentalists. Nonetheless, there aren’t too many studio musicians that cannot read/write, and there are many pro guitarist that can. Question is, how much does the skill of reading and/writing hold them back...?

BTW, I can’t remember exactly why Jimi played his Strat upside down, but I think it was something to do with changing the intonation and he preferred the intonation that way, correct me if I am wrong though.

What I've read is that Jimi started playing his guitars upside down because he was left handed and didn't have a lot of money. After he achieved fame and fortune and was able to afford a left handed guitar, he like the way the wammy bar on the right handed guitars were oriented at the top of the guitar when he played it upsides down.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
He certainly turned Rock and Roll on it'; head.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas

You can also add Paul Mccartney to that list of not reading music. Yes, a right handed Strat has a different intonation than a left handed guitar. I have read that he liked the fact that he could control the tone and volume knobs with his hand without reaching down. Speaking of hands, I met his dad and brother Leon at the Hollywood Star dedication. His dad was small but had huge hands. I own a right handed 1966 body that was originally Sunburst and was repainted black, and swapped the Rosewood neck for a 1976 maple neck. Left handed also, with a Wah,wah, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face and the almighty Univibe all purchased from Guitar center in the early 70's.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You can also add Paul Mccartney to that list of not reading music. Yes, a right handed Strat has a different intonation than a left handed guitar. I have read that he liked the fact that he could control the tone and volume knobs with his hand without reaching down. Speaking of hands, I met his dad and brother Leon at the Hollywood Star dedication. His dad was small but had huge hands. I own a right handed 1966 body that was originally Sunburst and was repainted black, and swapped the Rosewood neck for a 1976 maple neck. Left handed also, with a Wah,wah, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face and the almighty Univibe all purchased from Guitar center in the early 70's.

Not only did Jimi’s father have huge hands, but Jimi himself had huge hands. Having huge hands is a plus in guitar playing ...and in some ways a minus...but I think it interesting that Jimi had huge hands; and looking at other great guitarists, many others do too. Steve Howe of YES...has some of the largest hands I have ever seen, his fingers are incredibly long.
Another interesting thing about Jimi, was that he had a tremendous relationship with Jim Marshall..of Marshall amps. Many believe that Marshall’s wouldn’t have gained their popularity without Jimi. Marshall recognized his genius at a very early stage.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Satisfaction
Wild Thing

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm going to repost this album as it might have disappeared lost in translation.
In my big Jimi's fan club music collection, it's a Must have double LP or double CD.

Everytime we talk Jimi it brings souvenirs and satisfying emotions, plus Janis and Jim.
They are a deep part for many of us of music evolution. ...Even if today classical Opera is my favorite music genre. For others (I included) it's Jazz...John Coltrane and Miles Davis and Cassandra Wilson, etc.; for some (I included) it's Blues...Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, etc., for some (I included) it's Classical orchestral and chorals, others (I included) it's Tango and Gipsy and Cuban...International music, .................

But Jimi was unique, a master guitar player of great virtuoso and high caliber...psychedelic Rock.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
[COLOR="At an early morning press conference at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, presented jointly by Sony and Acoustic Sounds, the latter company's Chad Kassem announced that of the 5000 stereo copies pressed of the company's new UHQR LP reissue of the Jimi Hendrix Experience's Axis: Bold as Love, only 1000 remain. (The 1500 mono copies pressed are already sold out.) Hand-pressed, one-at-a-time, on 200 gm clarity vinyl that has no incline, the $100/each stereo copies are housed in an expensive Teflon jacket, and come with lots of documentation. Copies can be ordered online from Acoustic Sounds. #00FFFF"][/COLOR]
Jimi Hendrix Experience Axis Bold as Love

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing