Iconic Album for Jimi Hendrix

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There exist at least an credible argument that Jimi Hendrix is the greatest Rock guitarist of all time. IMO it is a foregone conclusion. A more vexing question is does Hendrix have an all time great album?
Such Albums as:
Marvin Gaye :WHATS GOING ON?
PINK FLOYD: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
MLES DAVIS: KIND OF BLUE

DSOM has sold 45 million copies. It is difficult to contemplate these albums not being present in any serious collectors rack. All of these artist have a significant body of work worthy of its own praise. But these albums transcend their genre. They are appreciated by those who are not a particular fan of the genre or artist. Maybe it's just me but I never saw a claim that there is one album by Hendrix that is a must have. Perhaps this is because all the recordings are outstanding. But then such claim could be advanced on behalf of those the recording artist listed above.I think that album should be Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys recording live at the Filmore East 1972.My brother introduced this recording during his non combat tour of duty in the Army during the Vietnam war. He played it every morning while preparing for work. I have listened to it every since. Particular haunting was the the cut "Machine gun." A musical recreation of a "fire fight." I am listening to it as I write this.
I nomate this album as one of the best of all time.

I'll elaborate on why I think so. My more controversial point is that it as better album than DSOM.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
There exist at least an credible argument that Jimi Hendrix is the greatest Rock guitarist of all time. IMO it is a foregone conclusion. A more vexing question is does Hendrix have an all time great album?
Such Albums as:
Marvin Gaye :WHATS GOING ON?
PINK FLOYD: DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
MLES DAVIS: KIND OF BLUE

DSOM has sold 45 million copies. It is difficult to contemplate these albums not being present in any serious collectors rack. All of these artist have a significant body of work worthy of its own praise. But these albums transcend their genre. They are appreciated by those who are not a particular fan of the genre or artist. Maybe it's just me but I never saw a claim that there is one album by Hendrix that is a must have. Perhaps this is because all the recordings are outstanding. But then such claim could be advanced on behalf of those the recording artist listed above.I think that album should be Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys recording live at the Filmore East 1972.My brother introduced this recording during his non combat tour of duty in the Army during the Vietnam war. He played it every morning while preparing for work. I have listened to it every since. Particular haunting was the the cut "Machine gun." A musical recreation of a "fire fight." I am listening to it as I write this.
I nomate this album as one of the best of all time.

I'll elaborate on why I think so. My more controversial point is that it as better album than DSOM.

Jimi's pinnacle version of Machine Gun is from the third show on 01 January 1970, and will always be associated with the Vietnam war. Many other post Vietnam veterans mention that song also as to the one they listened to while serving. That song from the third show is what made Miles Davis change his perspective and embrace Jimi as an pioneer. Too bad they never got together as planned to record together. "The Pink Floyd" was on tour with Hendrix in early 1967. They were one of the supporting bands. I think BOG just gathered momentum from the start as there was no no Hendrix material available. If you had asked any black person around that time period about ever listening to Jimi Hendrix, Band of Gypsys is always the first album mentioned.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Jimi is widely considered in the music world as a pure genius...with good reason. Not only was he a phenom on the guitar, and not just playing rock, but also other genres as well, but he could do what so few others have ever been able to do...he could compose and sing as well. This combo is almost unheard of.
All of his work is superb...and I wouldn’t want to choose any of it that sits above another...
BOG is a superb work, but unlike all of his contemporaries, Jimi really didn’t have anything that he played that wasn’t at the top, imo.
I own some of his earliest work, primarily blues based, to me they are pieces that simply show how enormous his talent was..
Many times I and other pro musicians have asked what he would have achieved if he had lived until an old age...The answer would have been something more than extraordinary.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There was a clear racist line of demarcation between Rock and Roll and Rhythm and Blues. I credit Chuck Berry as the inventor of Rock an Roll. As I am "any black person" I did not know Jimi was Black. My brother played a bootleg cassette on a small cassette player. I only learned he was Black when I sought out my own copy. Rumor has it that Jimi benefited from the British invasion. They refused to ignore him just because he was Black.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jimi is widely considered in the music world as a pure genius...with good reason. Not only was he a phenom on the guitar, and not just playing rock, but also other genres as well, but he could do what so few others have ever been able to do...he could compose and sing as well. This combo is almost unheard of.
All of his work is superb...and I wouldn’t want to choose any of it that sits above another...{Emphasis supplied}
BOG is a superb work, but unlike all of his contemporaries, Jimi really didn’t have anything that he played that wasn’t at the top, imo.
I own some of his earliest work, primarily blues based, to me they are pieces that simply show how enormous his talent was..
Many times I and other pro musicians have asked what he would have achieved if he had lived until an old age...The answer would have been something more than extraordinary.

It is difficult to argue with this. He rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, Voodoo Child, Foxy Lady, Candles in the Sand...all are quite extraordinary. One could make a similar argument that Marvin Gayes's body of work is equally outstanding. It just something about "What's Going On" that stands out.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Machine Gun

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Greg, as you probably know, Jimi had to go to the UK to be able to continue with his pursuit of music. I have a friend who knew him before that, when he was in NewYork. My friend told me that Jimi was on the verge of living on the streets in NY! Told me an interesting story, apparently Jimi wore the pants that he did...with the tassels, because they didn’t show the dirt and stains as he couldn’t afford to get them cleaned while in NY. Sad, but I suspect true.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sad yes.But suffering produces great art and artists.:cool:I was not aware Jimi was forced into exile(an ex-patriot as it were). Many Historically Black Colleges banned Jazz form their Music department. (not to mention rock and Roll)
I have argued before that Jimi was lucky to be free of a recording contract for so long. It allowed him the freedom to develop his style and released him from the pressure to have a top forty hit.
It is ironic that has clothes became as important, to many of those who emulated him, as his music. You are aware that many young musicians dressed up exactly like him, complete with hair. Stevie Ray Vaughn for example.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sad yes.But suffering produces great art and artists.:cool:I was not aware Jimi was forced into exile(an ex-patriot as it were). Many Historically Black Colleges banned Jazz form their Music department. (not to mention rock and Roll)
I have argued before that Jimi was lucky to be free of a recording contract for so long. It allowed him the freedom to develop his style and released him from the pressure to have a top forty hit.
It is ironic that has clothes became as important, to many of those who emulated him, as his music. You are aware that many young musicians dressed up exactly like him, complete with hair. Stevie Ray Vaughn for example.

Yes, I am aware of that. SRV is to me...and most guitar players, right behind Jimi in his skill level. Another phenom that was with us for far too short a time.
While I think that many people emulated Jimi’s style of dress, I’m not so sure that many knew of the reason behind it...and the sad reason for it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I can think of at least one Black person who did not shun Jimi Hendrix-Buddy Miles his drummer.
1970-anonymous-for-foto-archief-photogram-buddy-miles-portrait.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Whoa, take a deep breath. Racism is real. Remember the freedom of Black people is guaranteed by constitutional amendment. Desegregation came in 1964 and was declared to be implemented with all deliberate speed.

Let us get to a less controversial point is DSOM a better album than BOG or is it a glorified sound effects record? I by no means want to detract from Pink Floyd's excellent body of work.

In my opinion yes, it is an overall better album.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Honestly I never got into Hendrix. I have many of his albums and have a very hard time sitting through a whole album, with the exception of the Blues album, love that one. IMO DSOTM is a vastly superior album to any one of his. That is the joy of music, we get to pick what we like and do not like based on our personal preferences. I respect his abilities, contributions to music and everything he stands for and wish he were still here so iI could see him perform live.
That is my thoughts and opinions on the original post.
The rest of the crap that went on between the first post and this post is mostly deplorable.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You are absolutely wrong. Racism is a one way street. Slavery was absolutely based on race as white people were exempt. Do you just make this stuff up?

Ia agree this is was a turbulent time. DCOM was less political BOG but the cut "Money" had political overtones. I think one album may be slightly inferior to the other but both are outstanding. Which begs the question why has BOG not enjoyed similar sales figures? It could be something as simple as white people are bigger fans of Rock and Roll and constitute aa larger fan base.

Two words: Intellectual Accessibility

David mentioned "DSOM as more accessible with a more universal appeal"
He's 100% correct. There are no two ways to cut it.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Mike, Jimi Hendrix was better live.
Pink Floyd is best both in studio and live.

Why? Jimi was all about rawness (raw), in the moment.

Agreed.

I also believe that most early hard rock recording lack bass. People think Led Zepplin created Heavy Metal. I believe Led Zepplin's first album is the first time proper electric bass and a kick drum were recorded on a rock album.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well what's the quote,, Better is the enemy of Good. I don't think anyone here needs to be reacquainted with DSOM. Maybe it was just me. I was initially impressed by the sound effects of money being thrown in the coffers; a heartbeat; and clock alarms. I have owned several copies and many at the same time. I have heard many top sellers or all time greats that have left me scratching my head as to what the fuss is all about. I am still waiting for a refund from Celein Dion. I really enjoy DSOM as a musical piece. Audiophile records go DSOM is not the best music. Before Harr Pearson died he named BOG as one of the super discs. It was the digitally remastered version.
I admit to not knowing enough about Rock and Roll. but good music is like the Tour de France. Even- non bike riders get it. Over the next week or so I'll be listening to DSOM.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Well what's the quote,, Better is the enemy of Good. I don't think anyone here needs to be reacquainted with DSOM. Maybe it was just me. I was initially impressed by the sound effects of money being thrown in the coffers; a heartbeat; and clock alarms. I have owned several copies and many at the same time. I have heard many top sellers or all time greats that have left me scratching my head as to what the fuss is all about. I am still waiting for a refund from Celein Dion. I really enjoy DSOM as a musical piece. Audiophile records go DSOM is not the best music. Before Harr Pearson died he named BOG as one of the super discs. It was the digitally remastered version.
I admit to not knowing enough about Rock and Roll. but good music is like the Tour de France. Even- non bike riders get it. Over the next week or so I'll be listening to DSOM.

DS is a great album, but I find Animals has held up the best of all Pink Floyd albums. Waters played the first side of Animals when I saw him at the LA Forum last year. Amazing performance.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
DS is a great album, but I find Animals has held up the best of all Pink Floyd albums. Waters played the first side of Animals when I saw him at the LA Forum last year. Amazing performance.

I have been to probably 50 concerts at The Forum and have only heard it sound good three times, Roger waters Radio Kaos (right after KMET went off the air), Pink Floyd and Rush. I hated going there for concerts.

Not a fan of his latest album, but RW never dissapoints live.

Been to some amazing shows on the Sunset Strip in the late 70's through the early 2000's. I also liked The Strand in Redondo Beach R.I.P..

And this place https://www.laweekly.com/music/what-happened-to-the-reseda-country-club-2407238

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have been asked to open this thread which I am going to do as I thought it was a terrific topic that sadly got derailed by racial comments and arguments.

So please can we all stick to the OP and leave racial connotations out of any further posts

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Will do.
I have come across an article pointing out the Eagles Greatest hits LP has surpassed Michael Jacksons' Thriller album as best selling LP of all time. Maybe baby boomers are felling nostalgic. I can provide a link if desired."
I located two Best of Jimi Hendrix" albums. They seem to performed by other artist. Given that there is no reason to purchase entire albums anymore, I thought perhaps we create the WBF greatest hits album for Jimi Hendrix. Downloads of singles are readily available, I hope.
I took the liberty of selecting an iconic picture for the album cover. The one with Jimi burning his guitar. PG rated. 33621556-jpg.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing