• Color 5 Rio Gold

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
The Rocky Mountain Audio Festival world premier of our newest flagship the ULTRA 9s is quickly approaching and we're deciding which high-gloss finish to present them in.

For fun, we're having a competition between some of our most popular custom finishes to find out which color you prefer and why. Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below, we'd like to hear your feedback.
1. ULTRA 9 Brilliant Blue.jpg
2. ULTRA 9 Cardinal Red.jpg
3. ULTRA 9 Ibis White.jpg
4. ULTRA 9 Platinum Graphite.jpg
5. ULTRA 9 Rio Gold.jpg

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Black :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Great for home not too great for shows. Black is just too difficult to photograph :(

White for the show with nice silver amps :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Great for home not too great for shows. Black is just too difficult to photograph :(

I'm not surprised to see the Cardinal Red in the lead lol
20161026_120910.jpg

This one is the Silver Lining
20160113_202143.jpg

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Rio Gold sounds compelling but my guess is that the rendition shown appears more silver than gold. If in reality they appear a bit more gold than tan tainted, that might just be fabulous.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It is very sexy. In bright light there is an almost orange metallic glow, in dim light it transforms to a deep Bordeaux. I think it would work very well with the 9s which look smaller than they are. I thought it might be much for the U11s and hence Brilliant Blue :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Rio Gold sounds compelling but my guess is that the rendition shown appears more silver than gold. If in reality they appear a bit more gold than tan tainted, that might just be fabulous.

Yep! I voted for Rio because she dances on the sand LOL

gallery_recon-car-carlist-land-rover-range-rover-vogue-autobiography-5.0-wagon-malaysia_7250762_.jpg

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I wanted to post a picture of the VR-55's in the Cardinal Red because they actually show the depth of the glass finish. I also think the Rio Gold would look fantastic!

IMG-20180817-WA0000.jpg
I would be happy with this color

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these colors. It's a beautiful product and it's a matter of one's choice and desire.

My Gobel Aeon Fine, arriving soon, will be silver and everywhere there is "while lacquer" I chose "Ferrari Red". If the whole speaker was one color I would possibly have chosen something different, don't know, but I know I didn't want it all black, not sure why. I have a green ceiling in my home and just put up 8x4 feet of Art Novion Komodo W Absorber panels in red on the front wall with a Poltrona Frau "Ferrari Red Leather" Willy listening chair with black ASC tube traps in the corners.

Yes I had some "discussions" with the wife, who left shaking her head as we are soon to be moving on to a smaller place in the next couple of years, likely a condo, but as of right now, the color scheme (at least to me) fits and I am loving it so far.

It's nice to see these high end manufacturers paying attention to looks, compared to the "old days" as, to me, it does enhance the enjoyment factor (even though I listen mostly when you can't seen any of this stuff). Even my stark big block of aluminum CH Precision M1 has a certain elegance to it, that big block metal amplifiers of the past lacked.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My knee-jerk reaction is red. I choose blue because it is unusual. Sound first? Right.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My knee-jerk reaction is red. I choose blue because it is unusual. Sound first? Right.

LOL

I remember a friend from another forum being criticized for valuing looks. He retorted "Why your wife ugly? I choose good woman who also beautiful." LOL.

I really get along with South Americans. :D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The most beautiful looking and sounding speaker wasthe ML CLS1. It was at least 70%transparent.:eek:

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these colors. It's a beautiful product and it's a matter of one's choice and desire.

My Gobel Aeon Fine, arriving soon, will be silver and everywhere there is "while lacquer" I chose "Ferrari Red". If the whole speaker was one color I would possibly have chosen something different, don't know, but I know I didn't want it all black, not sure why. I have a green ceiling in my home and just put up 8x4 feet of Art Novion Komodo W Absorber panels in red on the front wall with a Poltrona Frau "Ferrari Red Leather" Willy listening chair with black ASC tube traps in the corners.

Yes I had some "discussions" with the wife, who left shaking her head as we are soon to be moving on to a smaller place in the next couple of years, likely a condo, but as of right now, the color scheme (at least to me) fits and I am loving it so far.

It's nice to see these high end manufacturers paying attention to looks, compared to the "old days" as, to me, it does enhance the enjoyment factor (even though I listen mostly when you can't seen any of this stuff). Even my stark big block of aluminum CH Precision M1 has a certain elegance to it, that big block metal amplifiers of the past lacked.

We value peoples opinions very much. I would love to see pics of your room and set up. Congrats on the big chunk of metal M1 lol. I can't wait to hear those on my visit to the Philippines.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like you're headed for a statistical tie Leif LOL

Well, this might not help you with your show color choice but at least you know the Ultra 9s look great in any color LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That is awe inspiring.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing