The 1st SGM Server EVO Edition in Hong Kong

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I do not use DSP but I can say 1.6 is much more transparent than 1.5

wespruett

Mar 2, 2019
I understand that there have already been several SGM EVO Edition Servers in N America (such as Mike's).
However there is only one of it in Hong Kong, arriving at the Volent Audio on 17th Aug.
It belongs to a customer who has sent his SGMS2015 to Netherlands for upgrade a few weeks ago.
I went there to have a listen at once today!

The back of the SGM EVO Edition. There is a copper back plate inlay with two slots to allow installation of two PCIe cards on the motherboard :
View attachment 43366

Otherwise the chassis is the same of that of SGMS2015.
According to Ben Lau of Volent Audio, most of the innards have been upgraded/replaced.
View attachment 43367

Volent Audio is the dealer of The Memory Player too.
I took this opportunity to do a shootout between the SGMS EVO (top left), SGMS2015 (bottom left) and The Memory Player MP-64-16 (right).
Other components were Totaldac Six, Bespoke preamp, Westminister Lab mono poweramps & Volent VL3.5 speakers :
View attachment 43368

I was quite surprised by the degree of improvement of EVO edition over 2015 edition!
All aspects of sonics are much much improved, particularly the quietness and solidity & density of images.
The SGMS2015 seems to be rather digital when compared to the EVO.

In the past, the cheaper The Memory Player MP-64-16 was on par with SGMS2015 in general , with several aspects such as musicality and continuosness of sound ...etc bettered the latter.
However it paled when facing the EVO.
I brought my son who is a rookie headphoner to the shootout. He commented : how come the black computer sounded so soft and veiled when compared to the top silver colour computer?

Can the top model of The Memory Player (MP-64-32) take revenge and better the SGM SVO? I hope so.

I then asked Ben what the EVO upgrade cost was.
It's unbelievably low!
IMHO the EVO Upgrade is a steal! It's nearly a must for all SGMS2015 owners. :D

How does the SGM Evo compare to the Innuous Statement? Which is the winner? Thanks!

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I have been testing Roon 1.6 this evening. I too notice a more then subtle increase in overall sound quality. Roon DSP has advanced significantly, it has become pretty transparent. Differences between RAAT outputs are smaller then before. Up sampling quality is much improved, it's actually useable now!

Totally agree.....

Cheers.....

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
How does the SGM Evo compare to the Innuous Statement? Which is the winner? Thanks!

Post # 184 in the Taiko SGM Extreme thread posted by CKK in Hong Kong

I compared Innuos Statement vs SGM2015 vs SGM EVO vd SGM Extreme in Hong Kong.

IMHO : Statement = SGM2015 < EVO << Extreme.
However it's difficult to grade the diff in percentage.

Volent Server comparison.jpg

All three servers are very good at their price points

Reactions: Taiko Audio

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Innuos uses Linux. SGM uses Window.
Both have been heavily trimmed/tweaked.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing