The Voice of the Theater sound...is it what we prefer over the sound of 'live' music??

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I quoted what Morricab stated in his post...and then he has the temerity to call me a Troll for quoting his post and questioning his illogic....States MODERN horns from the dawn of stereo, LOL. IME, There is plenty of information available and NECESSARY for the reproduction to sound realistic below 40Hz. Much less available above 20khz.

So, you are saying that a speaker has to go down to 20hz to sound realistic?? Since most horns don't go that low then , they too can't sound realistic? If that is not what you are saying then what, exactly are you saying?? This is now WAY off your OP.

I consider modern to be technology still used regularly today and largely still implemented the same way.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
So, you are saying that a speaker has to go down to 20hz to sound realistic?? Since most horns don't go that low then , they too can't sound realistic? If that is not what you are saying then what, exactly are you saying?? This is now WAY off your OP.

I consider modern to be technology still used regularly today and largely still implemented the same way.

Are you just trolling now Davey??

You got it right the first time! Look at every single thread he's involved in and you'll see the pattern.

We both know that 20hz advertised by many companies simply isn't true, there's physics and their cabinets simply don't have the volume to create a true 20hz note which is way different from a 20 cycle test tone in room measurement.

david

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

You already know what I am saying,but i seriously doubt you are willing to accept it.

Now who's trolling?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I liked a JBL Everest model I heard in NYC once with tubes and vinyl. I did not like an Altec that was completely incoherent. It made a solo violin sound like the strings and fingers were three feet in front of me but the lower registers and wooden body were fifteen feet apart, completely separate from the rest. Very weird experience. The owner came to my system and heard the same recording: Starker/Bach cello suites. He just sat there for two sides, saying nothing and then proclaimed, "So that is what it is supposed to sound like." That was with my old mini monitors.

I have little experience with horns and few dealers around here carry them, so it requires a bit of effort to seek them out, hear them, and learn enough to decide. At least that is my experience. I am open about the typology and would like to learn more. I believe in their potential but wonder about their extension. There has been little discussion about how high and low they go. I've seen super tweeters and cone subs with some models but then I wonder about integration.

Do horn owners not hear a lack of extension, if they do, does it not matter to them? Do horn owners listen to a more limited selection of music. I notice that Tang's videos are all small scale jazz with vocal. How about Holst's Planets on horns or a string quartet? Or Rock? What music do ddk and Jeffrey listen to?

And what about solid state electronics and digital sources? Horn guys tend to prefer tubes and vinyl. Why is that?

Just curious. I've been accused of not getting out enough and hearing alternatives. Perhaps they are right.

Hi Peter, I am going to be using all digital crossovers with a nearly full range horn system.

This is a bit unusual since it's not "horns for the sake of being horns" but instead for the controlled directivity pattern of the large midrange/treble horn. They have zero horn sound whatsoever and the measured response is essentially "perfect". The huge dynamic range they are capable is a nice benefit.

At the same time I do plan to use lower power amps, I have no preference between tubes or solid state. The best amps I've ever heard are FirstWatt SIT-1 so that is what I am more than likely going with for the mid/treble horn unless I hear a better SET amp which would have to be custom built to reach that level.

FWIW the best midrange I have heard on a speaker is my ESL57, and the horn system I am transitioning to captures that '57 presence perfectly.

I am about 3/4 classical listener with a strong preference for the titans of classical- Sviatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels, Vladimir Horowitz, David Oistrakh, Grigory Sokolov and so on. So basically every genre of classical ranging from baroque to post romantic. Currently heavily into Roberto Szidon playing Scriabin.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter... The JBL Everest... At least the k2 66000, the m2 series, are all crap. DIY made by JBL drivers can be excellent. There are many Altecs, many can be bad. You need to listen to many horns, and yes, you won't like many.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Peter... The JBL Everest... At least the k2 66000, the m2 series, are all crap. DIY made by JBL drivers can be excellent. There are many Altecs, many can be bad. You need to listen to many horns, and yes, you won't like many.

+1

I have heard many many horns..and none are to my taste. The basic design element is not really going to change, IOW, a horn is a horn. Sounds simplistic, but I can always hear their failings...to others, YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+1

I have heard many many horns..and none are to my taste. The basic design element is not really going to change, IOW, a horn is a horn. Sounds simplistic, but I can always hear their failings...to others, YMMV.

Yes but when we say we like horns we are referring to the few good ones, which, admittedly, are rare, or expensive due to exclusivity, or both. They are unbeatable by rest of hifi. Fact, not imo

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yes but when we say we like horns we are referring to the few good ones, which, admittedly, are rare, or expensive due to exclusivity, or both. They are unbeatable by rest of hifi. Fact, not imo

Your facts may not be other people's facts...something to perhaps ponder? The 'fact' that you are referring to, is a 'preference'. I'm not sure why you and others cannot see that:(

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Your facts may not be other people's facts...something to perhaps ponder? The 'fact' that you are referring to, is a 'preference'. I'm not sure why you and others cannot see that:(

Preference happens after we have the same data points. If both of as have heard Lyra and koetsu, and if I prefer Lyra and you prefer koetsu despite agreeing on the sonic attributes of both, that is a preference. If one has not heard both carts, there is no preference to discuss

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I think we can often vastly underestimate the actual dynamics of real instruments - I have never heard a system get anywhere near it.

Completely agree. No system can every reproduce a small band let alone an orchestra. All we can hope to achieve is a facsimile of the actual instruments and event. And that can be a lot of fun. :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well, I for one was enamored with with the Altec A7 / Ampex electronics 3 channel sound as experienced at the local cinemas and in San Francisco when I was a kid. The sound was dynamic and clear as a bell. My first visit to a Peninsula audio store was a treat as he had a JBL Paragon and Klipschorns to listen to. My first set of speakers were a pair of JBL L55 and later would purchase a pair of L200’s. I still have both after close to 45 years plus.
I always wanted a set of horns and now I’m building a hybrid 4 way with all digital processing and about 10k to 14k worth of SS power which is mostly for the bass and sub frequencies. The horns will use about 200 watts each.
I expect the sound will be exceptional .... not a horn loaded bottom end, but at least the mid range and up to 20k hz will be horn loaded. I am the odd man out as in my world, I can make SS amps sing like birds...
Thanks Davey....this thread brought back a lot of good memories

Btw I believe a Klean digital rig can approach the sound of 35mm film. FWIW

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Preference happens after we have the same data points. If both of as have heard Lyra and koetsu, and if I prefer Lyra and you prefer koetsu despite agreeing on the sonic attributes of both, that is a preference. If one has not heard both carts, there is no preference to discuss

Yes, except I am responding to your generic post about horns..and that they are, at least in your opinion,"unbeatable by rest of hi fi" which is an all-encompassing statement. Then you state "Fact, not IMO"---whose fact is that, yours? Please re-read what i posted above..it still applies.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You already know what I am saying,but i seriously doubt you are willing to accept it.

Now who's trolling?

Ohhh, you mean your Swiss cheese of a hypothesis??

Besides, if the best sound some guys ever heard was an Altec theater system and they want that at home, how do you know they aren't right? Did you hear that system to judge?

YOUR bias is stamped large on this thread.

Please list the SOTA horn systems you have heard within the last few years...

Horns are not all created equal anymore than box or planar speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Besides, if the best sound some guys ever heard was an Altec theater system and they want that at home, how do you know they aren't right? Did you hear that system to judge?

Actually, more unequal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Rob,

Still using the JBL subs but the front wall is finished now,(...)
david

Can you decode this part of the sentence for beginners? :)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I asked him this question three times when he was hard-trolling the "Horn appreciation thread" with random anti-horn posts. He absolutely refused to answer the question. He was asked to leave the Horn appreciation thread so he decided to start his own thread about why he think we like horns.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I asked him this question three times when he was hard-trolling the "Horn appreciation thread" with random anti-horn posts. He absolutely refused to answer the question. He was asked to leave the Horn appreciation thread so he decided to start his own thread about why he think we like horns.

Where is this thread?

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
“Not all horns are created equal.” How true! I hated horns with a passion, for decades, until I heard a system that used a Western Electric 713b compression driver in a WE 32A horn. That setup sounds simply wonderful and there are no “horn” colorations at all. That experience led me on a 10 year journey through various horn systems to my present speakers which use a YL Acoustic (Yoshimura Labs) driver and horn for the midrange and a vintage Jensen 15” woofer in a large open baffle with a Electro-Voice T350 horn tweeter on top. The crossover components and the internal wiring were all selected after many trials. The result is some of the most realistic sound I have ever heard.

Suggesting a VOTT is the standard for judging all horns is preposterous. The VOTT is the poster child for what gave horns a bad reputation in the first place.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing