Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSI Audio AVAA C20 Active Bass Absorber

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    All fair enough, Matts!

Thank you very much for posting here. We are delighted to see you!
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Vintage Audio Nothing racks, Herzan TS-140/Taiko Tana for Io, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes

Dear CKKeung, likewise it's great to hear from another HK-based audiophile. Thanks for your post and photos - wow, that looks more like a wizard's cave (than a dedicated listening room)! Reading the instruction manual for the AVAAs, they specifically advise against stacking them, as well as placing multiple units in close vicinity to each other, because of potential negative feedback consequences, as well as they physics of standing waves which are best dealt with multiple corners and locations in a distributed layout. Why then is your friend going against recommendations? Has he had the chance to experiment with multiple configurations? Also, it appears that the room size/volume is insufficient to accommodate high amplitudes of deep bass produced by the four 18" drivers which in turn result in gigantic amounts of pressure, especially at boundaries where velocity go to zero. Why are subwoofers even necessary, when the horn speaker system (presumably) already has its own bass units? I very much doubt that even twenty AVAAs can neutralize the incredible (and excessive) amounts of standing waves. BTW the local dealer of the AVAAs have submitted their unit(s) for review by an audiophile magazine and currently can't do a demo. I'm highly interested in buying at least two AVAAs for my room, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a chance to check them out.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadDiffusor View Post
    Dear CKKeung, likewise it's great to hear from another HK-based audiophile. Thanks for your post and photos - wow, that looks more like a wizard's cave (than a dedicated listening room)!
    Reading the instruction manual for the AVAAs, they specifically advise against stacking them, as well as placing multiple units in close vicinity to each other, because of potential negative feedback consequences, as well as they physics of standing waves which are best dealt with multiple corners and locations in a distributed layout. Why then is your friend going against recommendations? Has he had the chance to experiment with multiple configurations?
    Also, it appears that the room size/volume is insufficient to accommodate high amplitudes of deep bass produced by the four 18" drivers which in turn result in gigantic amounts of pressure, especially at boundaries where velocity go to zero. Why are subwoofers even necessary, when the horn speaker system (presumably) already has its own bass units? I very much doubt that even twenty AVAAs can neutralize the incredible (and excessive) amounts of standing waves.
    BTW the local dealer of the AVAAs have submitted their unit(s) for review by an audiophile magazine and currently can't do a demo. I'm highly interested in buying at least two AVAAs for my room, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a chance to check them out.
    Hello QuadDiffusor,

Why my friend installed such a huge horn with gigantic subwoofers inside a relatively "small room"?
    I guess he had trusted the local dealer and that those horn+subwoofer was a set.
    He did mention to me that he regretted to have bought them and it took him huge amount of energy and time and further investment to make it to the current reasonably listenable state.
    The obvious lesson to learn is : don't be too ambitious.

The AVAA local dealer is in fact his friend and both of their offices are nearby.
    Using 4 AVAAs seemed to be agreed by the local dealer.
    You may ask the dealer why 4 are needed and why they are in stacked placement.

I think your plan of using 2 AVAAs at the front corners is a very good starting point.
    Please update WBF members on the improvement they bring about.
    Many thanks!
    Bespoke Audio Silver TVC passive preamp, Bent Audio AVC-1 full-balanced autoformer passive preamp, MC2 S1400 monoblocks, Magico S5 speaker, CAS with MSB Platinum IV Plus dac, MSB UMT Plus & Signature Transport Powerbase, PLiXiR and Furman isolation transformers.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    My plan is to try two AVAAs as well in the front wall corners. Stacked AVAAs would be a perfect fit for those locations, w side wall junctions being 47" high.

Have to concur that room looks overkill on subs provision.
    We all know that Tang has taken his Cessaro Gamma BassHorns out completely on Dave's advice.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I've seen an AVAA review which specifically recommends a solution of one unit in one corner, and two stacked in another.

Hi Spiritofmusic - I’d appreciate the URL link to the review mentioning the recommendation for stacking the AVAAs - thank you!

The local Hong Kong dealer has finally informed me that the AVAAs are available for audition. I’m going to hop over sometime this week. Stay tuned ! 😉

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123