Now she can rest without pain. Goodbye Aretha! :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Played MSFL Best of tonite.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Grew up with her on KYA and KFRC AM radio when I was a kid....one of the best. R.I.P Aretha

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
About 3 weeks ago, I played "Amazing Grace" for my daughter and son-in-law. This was from her famous live album at the Community Missionary Baptist Church in Watts, CA recorded in 1972. My kids have certainly heard of Aretha but never heard this version of the song which was recorded when she was 29 and at the height of her powers (and 10 years before my daughter was born!). It could be argued it is one of the greatest recordings of the human voice ever made, and pretty hard to listen to without tears welling up in your eyes. Aretha just takes it to a different level and defines greatness for Gospel singing. If this doesn't move you, check your pulse because you are probably dead.

Today is a very sad day indeed, but oh what a joyous legacy to behold.

aretha.jpg

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
She was much more than just a singer. I think our youth (of all races, religion and politics) and everyone for that matter could learn a lot from her life with her many struggles and what it takes to persevere. I am no Obama fan BUT I definitely agreed with his tribute to this great performer several years back.

Being 65, I can say she represents only one of a handful of performers that truly had an impact on both my appreciation of music as well as social and political issues.

Like others have said, may she RIP.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
About 3 weeks ago, I played "Amazing Grace" for my daughter and son-in-law. This was from her famous live album at the Community Missionary Baptist Church in Watts, CA recorded in 1972. My kids have certainly heard of Aretha but never heard this version of the song which was recorded when she was 29 and at the height of her powers (and 10 years before my daughter was born!). It could be argued it is one of the greatest recordings of the human voice ever made, and pretty hard to listen to without tears welling up in your eyes. Aretha just takes it to a different level and defines greatness for Gospel singing. If this doesn't move you, check your pulse because you are probably dead.

Today is a very sad day indeed, but oh what a joyous legacy to behold.

View attachment 43341

Nearly sixteen years ago my wife and I marched, or should I say, swaggered down the aisle to "Old Landmark" having moments earlier officially become husband and wife. For many reasons it was one of the best moments of my life, and it felt like Aretha and the Southern California Community Choir were ushering us into eternal bliss. Our marriage has not quite been that heavenly (it's been much more, er... down-to-Earth), but I'd like to think her angelic voice has perhaps seen us have more than a few divine moments over the years.

As much as I respect her right to own her own self-image, I hope the documentary made eventually sees the light of day.

Best,

853guy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing