Walker turntable

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think Audiocrack has a SOTA TT from Walker?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
His upgrades where getting a little weird. Crystals in the air supply, and on the cartridge.To much voodoo !
The original is a good TT, it’s basically an improved Maplenoll Signature, i like mine:)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I remember a dedicated Walker Audio listening session at RMAF few years back--Lloyd played a varied selection on the TT.

After it was over the we all looked around the room all was silent-the presenter asked if there was any suggestions?--

everyone got up and left.

I felt sorry for Mr. Walker--the mood was sombre leaving a non plussed feeling of the presentation--no life nor energy.

Sad indeed for it appeared a fine and crafted product.

BruceD

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
His upgrades where getting a little weird. Crystals in the air supply, and on the cartridge.To much voodoo !
The original is a good TT, it’s basically an improved Maplenoll Signature, i like mine:)

I'd love to see more pics of your system. You should start a page....

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I'd love to see more pics of your system. You should start a page....
I will do it soon, have to take some decent current pictures first.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Italy never arrived one
I was looking it 10 years ago and price was good around 25.000/28.000 usd
And with good changing rate euro/usd at 1,40
Now I saw 80/90.000 usd
All became crazy

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
maybe increasing the price by a magnitude of 5 over the years has its effects...

I remember seeing it at the 1999 Stereophile show for $14,998

Now its 110k.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lagonda, was yours set up by Walker?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Lagonda, was yours set up by Walker?
I have the Maplenoll Signature, the table that Walker revamped/improved when he built his table. I think he was selling Maplenolls when the company went under. There are some Maplenolls out there that have been modded by Walker. It has a linear air arm that was built/improved by the Imminent Technologies founder. The arm later became the ET 1 arm. It’s a nice table, that can be easily improved, but not a Walker.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Lloyd's tables have one many awards and some as of fairly recent, so not sure why they're no longer considered SOTA? Also as for the cost increase, has the product stayed the same over time? And is the market accepting such a price in increase? If so, there you go.

I personally agree with his choice in speakers. ;-)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Lloyd's tables have one many awards and some as of fairly recent, so not sure why they're no longer considered SOTA? Also as for the cost increase, has the product stayed the same over time? And is the market accepting such a price in increase? If so, there you go.

I personally agree with his choice in speakers. ;-)

In the conversation of $100K+ turntables such as the AS2000, the AF1 and its iterations, now the Vyger, there just seems little mention of the $100K Walker. Is it because it is no longer new or buzz worthy? Does it sound just as good as the others? I'm simply curious. Belt drive, linear arm, massive plinth and platter. Air isolation. It seems to have many of the designs principles of these others that are considered SOTA.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
I don't know which iteration of the Walker that Albert Porter had, but I've heard that his Technics SP10 MK2 bested it, which prompted his switch to his current MK3.

I've listened to the MK3 in his system many times, but never the Walker, unfortunately.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't know where Walker is now, but that was the best turntable I ever heard. That was at the 2010 RMAF. Walker had just beaten cancer. He was chatty and played requests for me. I regret not being able to snap one up whenaI lot of his supporters switched to the Technics SP 10. I had heard the Continuim but had not heard a lot of the major contenders.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't know where Walker is now, but that was the best turntable I ever heard. That was at the 2010 RMAF. Walker had just beaten cancer. He was chatty and played requests for me. I regret not being able to snap one up whenaI lot of his supporters switched to the Technics SP 10. I had heard the Continuim but had not heard a lot of the major contenders.

I think I was at that same show. There were two Walker tables set up with TAD speakers in different rooms. Great sound. I spoke to Lloyd and indeed he had just beaten his battle with cancer. He offered me one of his turntables at 40% off because of the show, but he hadn't mentioned that the price also had just gone up from about $60K to $95K. I might have considered it at 40% off of 60K. That was disappointing. He got great sound at that show. I preferred the smaller TAD CR-1 with Balbao? electronics to the larger TAD Reference speaker in those rooms. Lloyd was very friendly and let people play their LPs. It was a lot of fun.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I hate to shoot form the hip,but some of the the guys on Audiogon had jumped in early. Walker came to their house and set the tables up himself. I think you get get one for $25k used. I think he was puihng a dedicated cartridge called the Black Diamond.
Yes I was impressed with the TAD speaker also. It just appeared Pioneer never really pushed them. Not to mention tthe stiff competition from Alon, Magico, VonSweikert and of course Wilson Audio. My apology if I left out your favorite.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is interesting that Walker utilized both air suspension plus mass for his design. TechDAS does the same, but other high mass designs rely on mass alone. These are all belt drive. It is a very different approach to the DD and idler. The Walker is a true integrated system with arm and phono and cable. I don't see then coming up on the used market very often, and I wonder if Albert Porter's switch affected sales because he was quite vocal on Audiogon, as were the people invited to his Tuesday evening listening sessions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the integrated rack also as part of the whole "system".

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Black Diamond looks a LOT better in person which is a shame because pictures make them look very..... err....steampunk. I would go all black. Not a fan of the busy looking brass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing