Do folks on WBF care about budget priced audio gear, tweaks, etc.?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
While there’s the odd sign of unrestrained budget madness at times here but for the most part many here seem to value, embrace and celebrate gear that’s great generally and like many I also love good value so if it’s budget and it’s great all the better.

I have some inexpensive gear in the system and also some more expensive gear as well and the gear that I have that I appreciate the most can be from either end of that spectrum for once its playing the magic I tend to forget about most things including the cost.

I never see spending more as a plus but when I do (a bit like child birth) once the pain is gone you let that stuff go and move on to the reward. So budget good is always good and generally I take time with buying decisions and usually let sanity mostly prevail and only buy those things that I can continue to afford and unless gear makes me happy most every day I’ll rarely spend much on something at all.

A mate of mine jokes about factoring in bragging rights as a gear choice parameter but genuinely knowing that you own the most expensive system seems to provide more comfort when you are listening to your system rather than listening to your music. Music doesn’t really care about your budget.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Win, it was just humor, nothing else, simple human humor.
We care more about people than our gear, we care more about visiting the beautiful places and people of our planet than listening music in our listening rooms, we care more about being there in real life in front of the musicians than trying to replicate them in our rooms. ...No matter how much money we spend, no matter how much money we save, no matter what, we care about people, about musicians.
Music matters, but less than the players playing it, and less than the gear it's playing on.

All true Bob, but this is a thread discussion about gear.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
While there’s the odd sign of unrestrained budget madness at times here but for the most part many here seem to value, embrace and celebrate gear that’s great generally and like many I also love good value so if it’s budget and it’s great all the better.

I have some inexpensive gear in the system and also some more expensive gear as well and the gear that I have that I appreciate the most can be from either end of that spectrum for once its playing the magic I tend to forget about most things including the cost.

I never see spending more as a plus but when I do (a bit like child birth) once the pain is gone you let that stuff go and move on to the reward. So budget good is always good and generally I take time with buying decisions and usually let sanity mostly prevail and only buy those things that I can continue to afford and unless gear makes me happy most every day I’ll rarely spend much on something at all.

A mate of mine jokes about factoring in bragging rights as a gear choice parameter but genuinely knowing that you own the most expensive system seems to provide more comfort when you are listening to your system rather than listening to your music. Music doesn’t really care about your budget.

+1 ...That is also my philosophy. I love reading about the most expensive stuff, and I love value in audio gear too. It's amazing today the quality sound we can get for so little investment. It's a beautiful audio gear world we live in, from all classes and places.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I also love hearing and reading about the price no object stuff as well Bob. There are so many things I can’t afford that a few more like MSB selects, Kondo and Ch precision don’t make the things I have any less worthwhile or enjoyable. If I could afford them I would be ordering them in right now completely guilt free.

I’m going in for a swim in the blue, blue Pacific Ocean right now and that is absolutely priceless and admission is completely free so my spending on audio and music is now justified and balanced out... I am at peace with myself.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
There are a couple here that think the latest/greatest/most expensive gear is the best. They are chasing their tails. It may sound different, but not any "better".

Running a studio, I have to make good business decisions. Because I cater to the audiophile, I do have to have the best sounding, but as we have all learned, the best sounding is not the most $$$.

I use my 2nd and 3rd system to check masters on other equipment. Those systems are are less than $5k.

A friend of mine years ago made an album at A&M and he did just that, made copies on CD and played them in every conceivable way/device possible before he settled on the final mix. He even got a radio station to play a couple songs and drove around in his car and listened to them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I also love hearing and reading about the price no object stuff as well Bob. There are so many things I can’t afford that a few more like MSB selects, Kondo and Ch precision don’t make the things I have any less worthwhile or enjoyable. If I could afford them I would be ordering them in right now completely guilt free.

I’m going in for a swim in the blue, blue Pacific Ocean right now and that is absolutely priceless and admission is completely free so my spending on audio and music is now justified and balanced out... I am at peace with myself.

Are we blood related or is it just a Pacific Ocean thing.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
By definition “high end” means no generic, no cheap. I do have no interest in lower end. Good stuff normally don’t come cheap same as Tomahawk steak. I eat $1 noodle on street sidewalk regularly. But when talk high end audio I am not shy to say I like reading $100,0000+++ turntable :).

Kind regards,
Tang

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just curious. To clarify what I mean by budget, speaker systems, amps, preamps, int. amps, source gear under $5K; cables, cartridges, iso platforms, audio racks under $1K.

If so, how many folks have this gear in their main system?

Trying to determine forum consensus of what the "B" means in WBF. :cool:

Great question, and I am glad I have quite a few products under <=5K: my Berkeley; my transport (used); each one of the interconnects (heavily discounted); tuner; subwoofer; turntable; arm; cartridge; speed controller; reel-to-reel; cassette decks; Typhon; power distributors; all power cords combined. Excluded: amps, preamp, speaker cables, speakers, phono stage.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
By definition “high end” means no generic, no cheap. I do have no interest in lower end. Good stuff normally don’t come cheap same as Tomahawk steak. I eat $1 noodle on street sidewalk regularly. But when talk high end audio I am not shy to say I like reading $100,0000+++ turntable :).

Kind regards,
Tang

What about your SME 3012R arm? That's not really expensive. Is that "lower end"? I hope not, and it doesn't seem that way.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Just curious. To clarify what I mean by budget, speaker systems, amps, preamps, int. amps, source gear under $5K; cables, cartridges, iso platforms, audio racks under $1K.

I'll be totally honest from my years of experience on the forum and some people will think this is elitist - no.

Look at most of the threads with 100s of posts and they usually are about expensive gear.

The joke about this forum is the WB stands for biggest wallet :p

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I'll be totally honest from my years of experience on the forum and some people will think this is elitist - no.

Look at most of the threads with 100s of posts and they usually are about expensive gear.

The joke about this forum is the WB stands for biggest wallet :p

how many times have you listen to 'expensive gear' poorly set up in a lousy environment ? Myself, more times than I care to remember....... big egos, big money.......stupid is, stupid does .....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
how many times have you listen to 'expensive gear' poorly set up in a lousy environment ? Myself, more times than I care to remember....... big egos, big money.......stupid is, stupid does .....

+1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

99% of the time

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I get the Best that I can afford.
Wilson X1 speakers (demos), Prima Luna HP mono amps w/KT150s (replaced Arc Ref 210s), Berkeley Alpha DAC (old iteration), Krell Evo 202 preamp (demo), Equtech Q, source SONOS w/Emperical's SM,assorted cables/wires (some expensive, some not but great too).
I enjoy this forum in that the best is evaluated and mods discussed by the knowledgeable and experienced.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas

About the same amount of times I've heard reasonably priced gear sound bad. If the users experience and knowledge are shortcomings, the price of the gear won't matter.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
99% of the time

That is so unkind. It does not exceed 98 percent.

I think that what is misleading is that owners of expensive toys convey that jewelry is superior in sound by fiat assertion. The only way to disprove is by 'bank account matching' and buying similar stuff to get the merchant/fan kudos and champagne corks for a brief time.

Many pilgrims have stated to me that the cost is no object systems are surprisingly disappointing a good number of times.

When listening, though, I flatter myself that my hearing is 'French Menu' in that I am not just listening with some kind of cost comparator. I have no problem acknowledging when expensive systems sound great, and I have said so many times in the past. However, there are also many systems of more modest to moderate cost that also sound great, and I have also commented on those.

I do think that the providers of placebos and jewelry provide a service, though, if it is only psychologic and 'pride of ownership' for the massive, bursting wallets of some audiophiles. Without the stuff to spend on, some of them might actually go around the bend.

I also get a thrill from the insane, expensive and cutting edge edifice installations, especially if it ALSO sounds good, so in that sense they also provide a service to me, if only a fantasy service.

I was listening to Future Sounds of London last night on my Pleasanton big rig, and I was so captivated and hypnotically intoxicated with this trance stuff that I thought, if this were any better, they would have to carry me out of here in a straight jacket.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing