Do folks on WBF care about budget priced audio gear, tweaks, etc.?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Al M,

$3,500 for an arm is no lower end. Which end a product lie to depends on one’s perspective. My rich wife thinks my Bose Lifestyle is expensive. As I said before I do like expensive exclusive audio products and I have been trying many until I found ones that sound best to my ears. The 3012R is cheap comparing to other gears I own but I like the sound so I keep in my system that’s all there is to it. Not everything has to be super expensive for me. One things people with great opportunity like to do is to “been there and done that” to experience things in what they like, to make their dream real, to do whatever they are interest in even when it is extreme, and then they come back to earth.

I would also like to point out one thing. And This is not addressing to you Al M. I don’t see people with super expensive system like MikeL, AudioCrack, Steve, Christian, etc, go around saying 99% of systems at lower price point sound like crap. Somehow I hear more of the opposite. It almost sounds like if you own an expensive system but not super expensive one you are in a “cool” “sensible” “smart” system builder status who even have more golden ears than those who stupidly spend on much more expensive gears. Please, before going around saying 99% of systems regardless of price is crap, look at your own system first. Other but yourself might also say you are one of the 99% :). For me I just don’t go around saying other people’s systems, the 99%, sound like crap, because to those systems owners they are very proud of what they have and like how their systems sound. Who is it to judge when super experience audiophiles like ddk and MikeL and PeterA, etc, and famous audio designers even disagree to what they hear.

Kind regards,
Tang

Yes if a 20k system sounds better than a 200k system, the 20k owner is indeed better at set up, has better ears, or the 200k one lacks in those compartments. Same if one 200k system sucks compared to another 200k system

Alternative is the 20k owner is just a more sensible balanced audiophile personality than the 200k one

Why do you think the SME 3012r made so much waves? Heck, most people who are interested or buying it haven’t even been to your place, DDK’s, or Steve’s. They took the fact that because it went up against much costlier arms, showed either better ears, better research, better set up skills, or a combination of the three. Optimising value is always appreciated. Marty that day mentioned on another thread how the importance of value is being understated. For me this hobby is definitely more about getting more for less... And yes, Mike too is getting more for less. Am not defining what the cost of "less" should be... Just make the cost seem like a bargain relative to the sound. This hobby becomes much richer when we look at value (again, value does not imply cheap, but is certainly the opposite of wastage).

There is a third possibility, which is that the 200k owner likes buying gear more, but then he should simply state that he is a gear head and not doing this for sonic upgrades. That is fine too. And not pretend that he did this because despite not having done any research, obviously a 200k components/system should sound much better than the 20k one. While the people you mention above don't do this, there are people who do. And there are people who might not state it, but think to themselves, without so stating, that the 200k system is obviously better. I have often on this forum defended the gear hobby...i just don't get it when people pretend they do it for more musical realism instead of simply stating they want to try out stuff.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes if a 20k system sounds better than a 200k system, the 20k owner is indeed better at set up, has better ears, or the 200k one lacks in those compartments. Same if one 200k system sucks compared to another 200k system

Alternative is the 20k owner is just a more sensible balanced audiophile personality than the 200k one

Why do you think the SME 3012r made so much waves? Heck, most people who are interested or buying it haven’t even been to your place, DDK’s, or Steve’s. They took the fact that because it went up against much costlier arms, showed either better ears, better research, better set up skills, or a combination of the three. Optimising value is always appreciated. Marty that day mentioned on another thread how the importance of value is being understated. For me this hobby is definitely more about getting more for less... And yes, Mike too is getting more for less. Am not defining what the cost of "less" should be... Just make the cost seem like a bargain relative to the sound. This hobby becomes much richer when we look at value (again, value does not imply cheap, but is certainly the opposite of wastage).

There is a third possibility, which is that the 200k owner likes buying gear more, but then he should simply state that he is a gear head and not doing this for sonic upgrades. That is fine too. And not pretend that he did this because despite not having done any research, obviously a 200k components/system should sound much better than the 20k one. While the people you mention above don't do this, there are people who do. And there are people who might not state it, but think to themselves, without so stating, that the 200k system is obviously better. I have often on this forum defended the gear hobby...i just don't get it when people pretend they do it for more musical realism instead of simply stating they want to try out stuff.

I think you should think about this again, Ked.

It is not unreasonable for the most perfectly setup 200k system to still be worse than a 20k system. There's plenty of very expensive items that just aren't that good. Spending a lot of money on materials is no guarantee of design. You think people can set stuff up poorly? Imagine designing the gear and how poorly that can be done when you've got exponential variables compared to setup.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think you should think about this again, Ked.

It is not unreasonable for the most perfectly setup 200k system to still be worse than a 20k system. There's plenty of very expensive items that just aren't that good. Spending a lot of money on materials is no guarantee of design. You think people can set stuff up poorly? Imagine designing the gear and how poorly that can be done when you've got exponential variables compared to setup.

I agree...i am not saying it is only because of set up, possibly because the guy buying the 200k was clueless about gear as compared to the 20k guy. Happens all the time

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Why do you think the SME 3012r made so much waves? (...)

IMHO mostly because it complements fairly well a few turntables owned by WBF owners and their current preferences and moods, that ask for convenience ... Also because there is little accessible alternative concerning 12" tonearms. It looks as the proper tonearm in the proper place in the proper time, nothing else.

In my particular case I must refer value - I am not prepared to spend as much in the tonearm as is the turntable.

It is curious than non-owners seem much more fascinated by the 3012-R tonearm that users ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO mostly because it complements fairly well a few turntables owned by WBF owners and their current preferences and moods, that ask for convenience ... Also because there is little accessible alternative concerning 12" tonearms. It looks as the proper tonearm in the proper place in the proper time, nothing else.

In my particular case I must refer value - I am not prepared to spend as much in the tonearm as is the turntable.

It is curious than non-owners seem much more fascinated by the 3012-R tonearm that users ...

A short while ago, kuzma 4p was the rage, and I would expect similar arms... Used value is not much higher. No one would know if SME complements their TTs without trying. The big thing has been a vintage low priced arm has stood up too expensive arms... That is what has got people eager to try it (as well as some skeptical). There are a lot of usual suspects in 12 inch arms, and used prices given the rest of the gear are not much.

If tomorrow someone there come a few data points that fr64 or a newer arm like kuzma have beaten both costlier arms like SAT, and the SME, people will head there, as they as looking for value

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Why not, people bought the stromtank without trying it out

Sure, for $80k why not just trust the vendor or someone else’s word... no need to listen to it in your system.
Is that what you would do?
... if you ever get a system:rolleyes:

Did you actually look at the link I posted..
and that’s your post... seriously!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sure, for $80k why not just trust the vendor or someone else’s word... no need to listen to it in your system.
Is that what you would do?
... if you ever get a system:rolleyes:

Did you actually look at the link I posted..
and that’s your post... seriously!

Dude i was being sarcastic. Thought it was obvious

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

The 3012 was a very well known commodity it’s not some obscure tonearm that I came upon, I realize that a lot of people are either coming back to vinyl or just starting up but I’m surprised that folks here were totally unaware of its existence. It was admired for its beautiful and wonderful sound not because of price, it was among the costlier arms back in the day.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David
Have you heard the currently available EMT 997. I assume the 997 you are referring to is the original made back in the day with the diamond pattern connector?
I only have the original EMT tonearms but there shouldn't be any difference between them and the current models, they're built the same way with the same tooling and almost the exact materials.

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi David can you recommend a good SME mount adapter for my 997 so I can mount non EMT carts? I was told I need one. Thanks!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David can you recommend a good SME mount adapter for my 997 so I can mount non EMT carts? I was told I need one. Thanks!

Hi Jack,

997's geometry is set for 42mm most cartridges end up between 49mm to 52mm (this is the distance from the front of the arm's collet to the stylus) that's why you need one. I only used this type of adaptor with Ortofon tonearms but they should work with the 997 as well. Ortofon used to make one for the Japanese market but you can find similar ones on ebay like these;

https://www.ebay.com/i/253805580048?chn=ps

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SME-Base-f...m=222659328727&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
They are not under $5K, but the new Magico A3 is under $10K, which by Magico's standard, and from what I have read, makes them one heck of a value. Has anyone reading this heard them? They seem like a lot of speaker for the price and could well be the anchor for a very nice, low budget for WBF, high end system.

They may not be THE best, but perhaps they are one of the best speakers for under $10K.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing