Do folks on WBF care about budget priced audio gear, tweaks, etc.?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Just curious. To clarify what I mean by budget, speaker systems, amps, preamps, int. amps, source gear under $5K; cables, cartridges, iso platforms, audio racks under $1K.

If so, how many folks have this gear in their main system?

Trying to determine forum consensus of what the "B" means in WBF. :cool:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I have gear in that price range in my systems and have interest in reading about it.

However, I look elsewhere for that information as WBF is oriented towards higher end gear.

No problem with that orientation, it is that way by design / intent.

Lots of other places to look for information on lower priced equipment although I have to admit I haven't been buying much audio gear of late.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Just curious. To clarify what I mean by budget, speaker systems, amps, preamps, int. amps, source gear under $5K; cables, cartridges, iso platforms, audio racks under $1K.

If so, how many folks have this gear in their main system?

Trying to determine forum consensus of what the "B" means in WBF. :cool:

In my system:
Simaudio Moon 260 DT CD transport, $ 1,800
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC $ 2,300
ZenWave Audio D4 cables, $ 975 (0.5 m between DAC and pre, other lengths more expensive)
Pass B1 buffered preamp (no gain), $ 1,000
Amp stand $ 800

However, I look elsewhere for that information as WBF is oriented towards higher end gear.

Make that "pricier gear". The above are very high end, even though probably not the very best (that would be WVBF ;)).. They are good enough to allow my amp (Octave RE 320 + Super Black Box, $ 13,000) and speaker system (Reference3A Reflector, $ 12,000, JL Audio Fathom 112v2 subs, 2 x $ 3,700) to shine.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I look @ here for what's best in everything in life, even the inexpensive stuff, the value for the buck stuff, the best of the best.

The "B" for me means price is no "oBject".

Yes I have audiophile interconnect for less than $200
Yes I have audio sources for less than $2,000
Yes I have music on CDs from between $15 and $45 a piece.
Yes I still have a vintage music collection of LPs.

What's Best is the Music that moves me Best. ...And it's vast like from an ocean to another.

* This, is usually the type of threads Caesar likes to start; just slightly on the higher caliber end of the equation.

I love expensive stuff; cars, hi-fi stereos, state-of-the-art turntables, the best jazz music, the best classical music, the best blues music, the best looking everything.
...Inside and out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Absolutely. I have really enjoyed reading from those who've spent time with:

OLD
- the old Celestion SL600 and the matching dipole 6000 sub system
- the old Forte 4 Class A 50-watt amp which was an absolute gem
- the Celestion SL6si which retailed for $600 back in its day
- the Apogee Stages which i nearly bought years ago demo for $1500 and would have been a steal then and today by almost any measure that matters to me
- The old Audioquest Emerald and Diamond Interconnnects from the '90s which were amazing and i still keep a couple of pairs of Emeralds for video/extra hook ups

NEW
- the new Funk Audio and Rhythmic Subs which are supposedly amazing
- The Sennheiser 650HD headphones
- Would LOVE to hear about 'mid-budget' amps for these 'phones...currently using a $250 Arcam rHead which is great but frankly seems to max out before the headphones do

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love the smell of a huge discount and massive depreciation on SOTA for sale. ;)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I think if the entire SME 3012R thread has taught us anything, its the B is What's Best stands for what sounds the best and not what's most expensive.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think if the entire SME 3012R thread has taught us anything, its the B is What's Best stands for what sounds the best and not what's most expensive.

This.

But I think we can fool ourselves at times by flashier stuff. However, a lot of stuff that sounds amazing does cost more - but not always as much as a nice car.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hey, Dudeabides, you trying to wreck the reps of the audio oligarchs or something?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes! Everyone wants to win "Best in Show" but "Best in Breed" is not bad either.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hey, Dudeabides, you trying to wreck the reps of the audio oligarchs or something?

Nope, my sense is that many forum members have upscale, pricey gear and that's fine with me because they are passionate about music listening and spend frequent quality, one on one time with their systems.

As I said, I'm just curious and not out to start a food fight. Lack of posts will be an indicator.

Most of my gear was store demos (I like full warranties) so i was able to pick up at what i consider budget / value pricing and most satisfy the price criteria I stated in my initial post except for my Shunyata wire and my recently purchased JA Pulsar speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Do we include £700 spent on Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm, that people who've previously owner 5x pricier Kuzma Airline and Airtangent have swapped for?
I still consider the Terminator close to the biggest bargain in the high end.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Does this count for someone to care?
https://www.businessinsider.com/trntbl-wireless-turntable-review-2018-3

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Bob,

I don't believe anyone here really cares about your example. This is What's Best Forum after all. Still, price in and of itself does not tell us what is best. Neither does the time of a product's issue, in my opinion.

One day, someone will start a thread with a general title that aims to address what is really best. I will probably go out on a suicidal limb when that happens. LOL

For now, I have had my say.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There are a couple here that think the latest/greatest/most expensive gear is the best. They are chasing their tails. It may sound different, but not any "better".

Running a studio, I have to make good business decisions. Because I cater to the audiophile, I do have to have the best sounding, but as we have all learned, the best sounding is not the most $$$.

I use my 2nd and 3rd system to check masters on other equipment. Those systems are are less than $5k.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
There are a couple here that think the latest/greatest/most expensive gear is the best. They are chasing their tails. It may sound different, but not any "better".

Running a studio, I have to make good business decisions. Because I cater to the audiophile, I do have to have the best sounding, but as we have all learned, the best sounding is not the most $$$.

I use my 2nd and 3rd system to check masters on other equipment. Those systems are are less than $5k.

Bingo.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,

I don't believe anyone here really cares about your example. This is What's Best Forum after all. Still, price in and of itself does not tell us what is best. Neither does the time of a product's issue, in my opinion.

One day, someone will start a thread with a general title that aims to address what is really best. I will probably go out on a suicidal limb when that happens. LOL

For now, I have had my say.

Win, it was just humor, nothing else, simple human humor.
We care more about people than our gear, we care more about visiting the beautiful places and people of our planet than listening music in our listening rooms, we care more about being there in real life in front of the musicians than trying to replicate them in our rooms. ...No matter how much money we spend, no matter how much money we save, no matter what, we care about people, about musicians.
Music matters, but less than the players playing it, and less than the gear it's playing on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing