EVS modified Oppo 205 player

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I have been modifying the Oppo players since they first arrived on the scene (and modding CD players since they first arrived on the scene in the mid 80s). The 205 is actually the first Oppo I can listen to stock and not want to turn it right off.....pretty darn good after it burns in. The DAC, power supplies and clocking are the best Oppo has ever done. My reference was either a modified LKS DAC or the modified Oppo Sonica DAC driven by a modded Oppo 103D (with $1200 worth of mods) and using my custom digital cable and highly modified IFI Spdif IPurifier (with my own power supply). The stock 205 actually did a couple of things better than this really good combo. Now with mods the 205 is clearly in another league than either modified DAC playing CDs. Really, really great sound. Fortunately, I was able to get one from Oppo and will be enjoying this modded player for years. There are more 205s coming from Oppo and several friends and customers are going to receive them and have them modded. They are in for a treat. This thing is seriously good.

You can read a description of the mods and look at all the pics on my site: http://www.tweakaudio.com. I will be modding the 205 probably till the end of the year and then fade out as I am coming out with an amp in about one month that will take most of my time.....amp is based on the new Icepower "IceEdge" module (600 watts into 8 ohms and 1200 into 4). If you have any questions about the modded unit please ask and, no doubt, you will see some comments here from owners of this modded marvel. It is too bad that Oppo is discontinuing this player as there is really nothing like it (incredible modified 2 channel sound, headphone amp, multichannel playback, DSD512 DAC, and super 4K Video performance).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing