Fall 2018 | Time for TV Shopping Soon?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

maddogswede

Sep 19, 2018
I just purchased a Sony 85 inch LED: XBR-85X850FLED 4K. I am suffering some buyers remorse. It is going in my home theater. I have not mounted it yet. My room is dark and I am worried that this may not be a great TV for us. I wanted a big screen because I am replacing a Sony projector with 90 inch screen but I also wanted to stay $4000.00 or under on price.

Has anyone seen reviews on the 85 inch F Series. It is different than the smaller screens I am told.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just purchased a Sony 85 inch LED: XBR-85X850FLED 4K. I am suffering some buyers remorse. It is going in my home theater. I have not mounted it yet. My room is dark and I am worried that this may not be a great TV for us. I wanted a big screen because I am replacing a Sony projector with 90 inch screen but I also wanted to stay $4000.00 or under on price.

Has anyone seen reviews on the 85 inch F Series. It is different than the smaller screens I am told.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850f

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Bob. Curiously, no Panasonic OLEDs are available in the US. These Panasonic FZ802 and FZ952 look very interesting nontheless

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's right; the Panasonic OLED TVs are available in the UK and in Canada (my favorite video store carry them), but not in the USA, unfortunately because they have great reviews...among the best.

If the sales of Panasonic TVs go well in Canada they might come back in the USA, but it's a very tough proposition still with this market...U.S. based Vizio, Korea and China-based TVs.
_____

"Things started going downhill for Panasonic's TV division when Plasma TV sales began to plummet as improvements in LCD TV technology, such as lower power consumption, LED Backlighting, fast screen refresh rates, and motion processing, as well as the introduction of 4K Ultra HD, resulted in an LCD TV sales explosion. Since Plasma was Panasonic's claim to fame and main focus in their TV marketing strategy, these developments did not bode well for their continuing sales outlook. As a result, Panasonic finally ended Plasma TV production in 2014.

Also, although LG and Samsung also featured Plasma TVs in their product lines as recently as 2014 (Samsung and LG both ended production in late 2014), they did not emphasize Plasma over LCD, so the impact resulting in the demise of Plasma TV tech did not have as big a financial impact.

In addition, with increased competition from LG, Samsung, and the aggressive entry of China-based TV makers, Panasonic was getting boxed into a corner as consumers failed to warm to Panasonic's own LCD TV product lines, even though the sets were definitely deserving of consideration."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last year LG OLED 4K model TVs (series 8) were rated best across the globe.
This year's series 9 follow that tradition, just as they also did with series 7 in 2017.

There are few reviews of the C9 model, and they are all rating it the top very best.

The 65" C8 model is a tremendous value right now ... @ only $1,849 ...
? https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/4k-tv-deal-get-the-lg-65-inch-oled-tv-at-its-lowest-price-ever
_____

20190506_213052.jpg

Looking above @ the top ten best you can see LG OLED TVs models from 2019, 2018 and 2017 dominating the field; ultimate (seven out of ten).
This is no Mickey mouse TV source either (rtings). It's among the best video review sources.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing