Miyajima Madake and Koetsu platinum-based

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Playing with the thought of owning one of the above.
Planning to use a Thales Simplicity II tonearm and a Pass XP-25 phono.
Looking for the best “musical” (not necessarily neutral or “as-recorded”) reproduction of classical instruments (piano in particular). I already have a DS Audio W2 on a second arm, which gives me the best dynamic and neutral sound - looking for something a bit different in sound.

Would love to hear your thought/experiences, and if any if you had a chance for a head-to-head comparison (or any kind of comparison).

Thanks!

P.S.
By Koetsu platinum-based - I mean Rosewood-platinum, Urushi-platinum and stone-bodied-platinum.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I've owned 4 variants of the Koestus--most from the early 80's era--Long bodied Onyxs etc and have had the Madake up till this year ( in Kuzma 4point)

Observations allowing for the time frame and memory:) the Madake has similar traits to the Stone bodied K's--whereas I'd say the Rosewoods are less Full "bodied" in presentation

still detailed but the comparison with the K stones more pronounced. I cannot comment on the lastest K's as I have not evaluated any of them at length

But I'd go so far as to say the Madake and Koestus share sparingly similar Sonics--I'm big fan of the Jan Allaerts in the same way.

To diversify you may need to possibly go more the detail and etched path of say the upper scale Lyras.

Good Luck,

BruceD

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Thanks Bruce!
So your observations will place the Madake at the level of the Koetsu stone-bodies, while the Rosewoods are a tad below them both soundwise, right?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks Bruce!
So your observations will place the Madake at the level of the Koetsu stone-bodies, while the Rosewoods are a tad below them both soundwise, right?

Correct -- though purely in my view(or ears!)

BD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree the sound is similar but never heard a koetsu sound good without an FR tonearm. I think you have the Ikeda, and have heard madake sound better on an Ikeda. But the same guy had a SPU that sounded better than the madake with the Ikeda

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I agree the sound is similar but never heard a koetsu sound good without an FR tonearm. I think you have the Ikeda, and have heard madake sound better on an Ikeda. But the same guy had a SPU that sounded better than the madake with the Ikeda
Thanks Kedar!
I did use to own the Ikeda, but couldn’t set it up to reach the low distortion levels I managed to reach with my other tonearms (Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven 10.5 (sold) and the SME V-12), due to the fact that I listen mostly to classical music (piano music in particular) this was very noticeable.
How does the Madake sound on non-FR/Ikeda tonearms?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing