Different lengths speaker cables

GerardJ

Jul 25, 2017
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
I would like to use 2 sets of speaker cables for my TAD-E1 to drive them biwired. I am using now one set of 12 ft long. To cut costs I would like to buy a used second set SC.
Because 12 ft is not often offered second hand I wonder if using a set of 8ft or 10ft SC on one side and my 12 ft SC on the other side will have a negative influence on the sound quality.
I know theoretically (complex effect of impedance, induction, capacity....) you should best use same length for L and R, but has anyone tried it and heard a negative effect on SQ? How much difference in length will be still acceptable?
I hope anyone has a first hand experience on this.
Kind regards, Gerard

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
With most conventional, reasonable loudspeakers it should be good.However if the cable length differences have a ratio of 5 to 1 or more (like 25 feet and 5 feet) there might be small differences in their frequency responses.
None of this applies to special case speakers like Apogees.

biwiring is a total waste of time effort and money.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I suspect your hearing capabilities and room characteristics will differ from one side to another, so I wouldn’t worry about such a minor difference in length.

GerardJ

Jul 25, 2017
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Thanks for your replies!
Has anyone approach this not only theoretically but actually tried this experimentally in a good audio system and heard what it does to the SQ?
Regards

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have about 17' on one side and over 30' on the other because they go under the floor towards one side of the room where the equipment is. That said, TA said that in manufacturing...they adjusted for any small differences in measurements. Not sure what that means, but it was apparently a factor during production of the cables. Either way, no difference in sound.

GerardJ

Jul 25, 2017
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Thanks for your personal experiences! I will give it a try :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing