ML 536 vs ML 53?

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
I'm currently running a pair of 536 amps with my 523 Preamp. My friend has a pair of No.53's which might be available for sale soon. I'm wondering how would these two compare in sound quality? The No.53's being reference level, but a couple years older in technology vs 536 with less power but newer technology.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I also have the 536's but am running the No52 Ref Pre. I demo'd the 53's,52, 523 and 536s and in my system it was a no brainer ... the 536's are the best amps Mark Levinson has ever made in my opinion. I liked the Ref Pre a tad bit better as it had better detail than the 523 and a more holgraphic soundstage. Had the opportunity to discuss with Todd E at Levinson this year and he too agreed that the 536s trumped everything they have done. Of course, we all hear differently so listening to them at home in your system is really the only way to know for sure. I will say that the Ref 52 Pre needed over 250 hours to sound its best. Interested to hear what you decide!

George

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
the 536's are the best amps Mark Levinson has ever made in my opinion.
Had the opportunity to discuss with Todd E at Levinson this year and he too agreed that the 536s trumped everything they have done.

Including the mighty No. 33 ? :confused:

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Including the mighty No. 33 ? :confused:

Yes ... even the awesome No 33 Reference. I will first have to say that the No 536s are definitely voiced differently than any of the Levinson gear of the past so it is completely possible that someone might like the voicing of the older amps better. They had a richness in the mids that was addicting. That said, the detail retrieval with the new amps is superior as is the holographic nature of the soundstage. The No33 Ref was a great amp in its day ... I had them. Heck ... depending on speakers you still may prefer them. That said, I have Wilson Sasha 2's and definitely prefer the No 536 to any of their other amps. I will say that between the No 33 Ref and the No 53 Ref I would prefer the sound of the No 33 Ref all day long but that is probably more of a preference as I found the No 53 Ref to not be musical at all especially in the upper mids and highs where honestly they just sound hard to me. (As well as some reviewers!) The No 53 Ref does though produce incredible bass though but once you get to that price range there are other amplifiers that will give you that bass plus the rest. Just my 2c and of course YMMV!

George

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thank you George

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
Wow, thanks for your insight!

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Wow, thanks for your insight!

I see we have similar taste in audio systems! I’ve got Sasha 2s with my Levinson No52 Pre and No536 amps. You have me on the digital front end though as I’m trying to decide between an EMM Labs DA2 Dac and an Esoteric K-01Xs ... incredible deals on both! Maybe someday I’ll get a reference digital stack. Congrats on an awesome system!

George

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing