Amp recommendations for SF Guarneri Evolution

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello, and thank you for discuss in thread.
Unfortunately I can not access Momentum, but here what I read in the description of the Classic Stereo:
"Its core technologies are heavily based on the design of D'Agostino's acclaimed Momentum amplifiers."
Do you think this is true? Or just a marketing move? Any opinions are appreciated.

Sure. But I heard complaints about the unstable work of Vitus.
In addition, I think that the sound of Vitus is dark. I'm looking for an amplifier with a clear and "refreshing" sound. I will be grateful for any recommendations.

Cheers.

Try Berning quadratures then

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
SS amplifiers usually make small inefficient speakers sound small ... The Evolution has a balance similar to the Amator Futura, tilted down in the treble - very different from the current Guarneri's. IMHO it must be matched by a detailed and lively sound - my first choice would be an old Jadis Defi-7 with the JPL preamplfier or a Jadis DA88 with KT150's. What is your usual source?

Yesterday I was looking at a mint pair of Evolution's that are available as part-exchange at a shop - they are really hard to resist!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello Davey!

Really thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.

Totally agree with you when you say that the best solution for an amplifier is monoblocks.
About Bully Sounds: you listened to the BSC, and you did not like the sound of these amplifiers? I never listened to them, but I believe in experience of Bret Dagostino.
On the forums, I found opinions that the BSC sound like Krell. Interestingly, is it true?

Classic Stereo and Rowland 8T still in my list.
Classic Stereo is the first. I hope that at the end of August I will be able to hear it in my system.
I also have a offer for the set Rowland - 8Ti-HC and Synergi pre. Btw, what about this set in general and especially preamp?
And, I would be very grateful for any opinions on the Gryphon Encore amplifier.

Cheers.

Like I said before, I wouldn't pair GE's with anything that is going to give you a sterile ss sound. Some of the Krell's fit that bill...so do the BSC's when I heard them, albeit not with G's.
The Rowland 8Ti-HC is now going on in age, as such, I would be prepared to have Jeff work on it and bring it up to full capacity IF you decide to go that route. Truly an awesome ss amp, but then as you may
know, I am biased as that is basically the ss amp that i utilize for my GH's. ( Although one that Jeff has modded for me). Nonetheless, a superb amp with G's. As to the Synergi preamp, that i have no experience with.
Unfortunately, Jeff's preamps ( IME) are not as special as some of his amps, IMHO.

Personally, IF funds allowed, I would spring for a pair of the new 725s mono blocks from Jeff and a different preamp...can we say CAT!

David David

Aug 9, 2018
IMHO it must be matched by a detailed and lively sound - my first choice would be an old Jadis Defi-7 with the JPL preamplfier or a Jadis DA88 with KT150's.

Hello microstrip, and thanks for your feedback.

About some Jadis... Yes, I'll try to look at these amplifiers, but I'm still really looking forward to the Classic Stereo.
A difficult situation. But the audition will show.

The Evolution has a balance similar to the Amator Futura, tilted down in the treble - very different from the current Guarneri's.

You are absolutely right about this. Although, it seems to me that Futura is more tilted down in the treble, than Evo.

What is your usual source?

At present, my source is Chord CD One.
But I plan to replace it. I do not want to say that this is a bad device, I just want to go to a higher league.
I am considering dCS Puccini or Gryphon Mikado, and I would be grateful for the opinions on these sources.

Yesterday I was looking at a mint pair of Evolution's that are available as part-exchange at a shop - they are really hard to resist!

Really cool story. I readily believe. Guarneri magic is works at 100%. Besides, I think that this applies to all versions of these awesome speakers.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
David David, all G's are very good, BUT if you can get your hands on a pair of GH's...well I think you would never sell them. IMHO, they are the very best stand mount in the world. Amazing after all these years, that I can still say that! Franco hit one out of the park when he designed the GH's, IMO.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
David David, all G's are very good, BUT if you can get your hands on a pair of GH's...well I think you would never sell them. IMHO, they are the very best stand mount in the world. Amazing after all these years, that I can still say that! Franco hit one out of the park when he designed the GH's, IMO.

I always pay my respects to all the GH talents. They are great speakers. Just outstanding. Quality build and finish, and of course sound. True G.
But I got a pair of my Evo recently, and now I'm busy with the installation and fine-tuning. Evo responds to the slightest changes in the system. Amazing speakers also. In addition, I was looking for speakers with a universal sound (included bass). I listen to very different styles of music. The opinions of most reviewers boil down to the fact that the most universally sounding among all Guarneri is GE.
I followed this path. And it was not a mistake. I like the way they can sound at a low volume keeping fullrange and all the details, and at a up volume become large-scale sounding, clear and dynamic. But none of us can look into the future, that would know what will happen next.
I really appreciate your experience and I respect your system. GH is a grandfather, it's roots. GE is a grandson.
Guarneri Tradition has become even more universally sound, but they have lost the magic and special smoothness of sounding IMHO. Other story.
I'm happy with GE.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I always pay my respects to all the GH talents. They are great speakers. Just outstanding. Quality build and finish, and of course sound. True G.
But I got a pair of my Evo recently, and now I'm busy with the installation and fine-tuning. Evo responds to the slightest changes in the system. Amazing speakers also. In addition, I was looking for speakers with a universal sound (included bass). I listen to very different styles of music. The opinions of most reviewers boil down to the fact that the most universally sounding among all Guarneri is GE.
I followed this path. And it was not a mistake. I like the way they can sound at a low volume keeping fullrange and all the details, and at a up volume become large-scale sounding, clear and dynamic. But none of us can look into the future, that would know what will happen next.
I really appreciate your experience and I respect your system. GH is a grandfather, it's roots. GE is a grandson.
Guarneri Tradition has become even more universally sound, but they have lost the magic and special smoothness of sounding IMHO. Other story.
I'm happy with GE.

David David, if you are happy with the sound you are getting from the GE's...that is what it is all about. No need to think of changing then. Congrats and keep on listening and enjoying.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
David David, if you are happy with the sound you are getting from the GE's...that is what it is all about. No need to think of changing then. Congrats and keep on listening and enjoying.

Thank you Davey. I want to replace CDP, but not the speakers :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thank you Davey. I want to replace CDP, but not the speakers :)

Lots of good CDP's. Budget will be the driving factor, as always. One thing that I believe, digital is advancing and changing so fast and in so many ways, that to really spend the BIG $$ may not be that wise. A set up, like the Bryston gear or even the Schiit gear may be a better way to go than opening the credit card to major distress and buying what is today's SOTA, but in all likelihood tomorrow's has been. While the argument that many of the top performing and priced gear is future proof due to the ability to change modules, I'm NOT buying this...too many variables in future digital that cannot be addressed with a module change.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm happy with GE.

No, it was not a mistake. I owned two (or may be three) pairs of Guarneri Homage, all bought used for temporary or secondary use - they were hard to resist when cheap and mint! Great speaker, without any doubt. But when I recently listened to the Homage and the Evolution side by side I had to recognize I preferred the Evolution - much better integrated treble and larger scale.

There is however a particular aspect that should be referred - the Homage has more benign impedance curve and a bit higher (~1dB) efficiency. If you are using your speakers with a low power tube amplifier that can not supply current, it can be preferred to the Evolution. As always, IMHO , YMMV!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Micro, GE does have a slightly better ability in the lowest frequencies. GH needs to have bass augmentation to sound full range. However, i think that GH has a more extended treble, a purer treble and a more resolved midrange. You can add the subwoofer to the GH, but you cannot change the mid range and tweeter of the GE.
I suspect that it has been many years since you heard the GH. With the kind of ancillary gear available today, IMHO, it is the G to own...if you can find one! Not that the GE is at all bad, as I think it is superior to the GM and the new Tradition. IMHO.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Hello friends.
My Classic Stereo finally come to dealer.
In stock now.
But I, thinking about others variants also.

Jeff Rowland 8Ti-HC - what about this one?
And Rowland 8Ti-HC vs. D'Agostino Classic Stereo, any opinions for this versus?

Cheers.

ninomau

Apr 9, 2015
Milan, Italy
Hello, that's my first post, greetings to all.
I live in Milan, Italy, and drive my GE with a Spectral DMC30 SC - DMA 200S set. The sound is rich and fast, and I am fully satisfied.
Cheers, Nino

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Well...I am a new member as well :)
I have had a pair of original SF Guarneri Homages for many years.
They have been and continue to be secondary system speakers for all this time.
I have used many amplifiers and sources with them.
While it is far from "what's best" I am now streaming Tidal and playing off a NAS through a Sonos Connect amp!
Used with a small Rel sub, I have to say the sound is very satisfying for entertaining and casual listening and no rack is necessary...

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well...I am a new member as well :)
I have had a pair of original SF Guarneri Homages for many years.
They have been and continue to be secondary system speakers for all this time.
I have used many amplifiers and sources with them.
While it is far from "what's best" I am now streaming Tidal and playing off a NAS through a Sonos Connect amp!
Used with a small Rel sub, I have to say the sound is very satisfying for entertaining and casual listening and no rack is necessary...

What are you using for your main system? Ever thought of swapping in the GH's to that system?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
To pair with the SF Guarneri Evolution i'd suggest the Wells Audio Innamorata Signature @$15kUS (which is currently undergoing a cosmetic makeover and will be renamed Innamorata Level II to match the preamp).

Last edited:

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hi Davey, my response was a little tongue in cheek as the OP was (a few months ago) looking to use his GE's in his main system so he might want for a more immersive listening experience than in my situation. In my experience with the GH's, a stout tube integrated by the likes of Jadis or Unison for example fit the bill nicely. Of course these are still compact solutions that I had used in the context of a second system.

Wishing not to derail this thread, I have listed my main system under my profile. I'm not sure it will show up underneath here but if it doesn't it is accessible but as always...subject to change!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ken, have you tried swapping your Tidals for the GH’s. I think you might be surprised at the upswing in SQ, particularly if you were to integrate a sub with the GH’s. BTW, nice system.

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Davey, I have not moved the GH's to my current main system but having owned them for about 14 years I've got a pretty good idea of what they can and cannot do. One of the main things about them is they are very forgiving and can make pleasing sounds whether powered by Quad II amps, a Krell 300R receiver or a Sonos Connect amp all of which I've used. Of course like all good speakers they will respond accordingly when partnered with better gear. However they are nowhere as resolute, transparent or as fast as my Tidals or for that matter the SF Extremas of yore. So as always it boils down to sonic preferences. Have you heard Tidals in your system or at shows?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ken,, I have heard Tidals on a few occasions, ( not at shows, but at a local A’philes home and at a dealership ) while some of their line make nice music, that doesn’t change the fact that imho you are really underestimating the GH’s.
What you are running the GH’s with now, will result in exactly the impressions that you have, which is why i suggested moving them to your better system. If you have never done that, and I am pretty sure you have not, then you won’t know what you are missing.
GH’s have bested Magico Mini’s and Q1’s in my system, if you think those speakers are slow and not that transparent, I guess you have never heard what the Magico’s can bring.
As to the difference between Extrema’s and GH’s, IME, having AB’ed the two, the Extremas bring more punch and reach to the bottom end than the GH’s, but that’s all they do, in all other areas...speed, transparency, resolution, purity etc,. It’s the GH’s...all the way. Add a decent sub( or two ) to the GH mix, and the Extremas no longer have their bottom end advantage. As they say, game over.
Only concern I would have for you if you swap in and dial in the subs/GH mix, would be where to store the Tidals!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing