Amp recommendations for SF Guarneri Evolution

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Hello.

I'm looking for amp for my SF GE.
This will be the SS-amplifier.
Speakers need a lot of control, lots of current.
I also want clarity over the full range, and especially resolution, clarity and pure in the treble.
It should be an amplifier not with a dark sound.

My list includes:
Gryphon Encore,
Gryphon Antileon (not Sig and not Evo),
Dan Dagostino Classic Stereo,
perhaps the integrated Gryphon Diablo,
Krell Solo 375 monos

Which of these will your recommend? Or maybe add your variant? My music is jazz, classic, techno, ambient, rock (not death and brutal metal), hip-hop, pop.

All recommendations are very much appreciated.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello.

I'm looking for amp for my SF GE.
This will be the SS-amplifier.
Speakers need a lot of control, lots of current.
I also want clarity over the full range, and especially resolution, clarity and pure in the treble.
It should be an amplifier not with a dark sound.

My list includes:
Gryphon Encore,
Gryphon Antileon (not Sig and not Evo),
Dan Dagostino Classic Stereo,
perhaps the integrated Gryphon Diablo,
Krell Solo 375 monos

Which of these will your recommend? Or maybe add your variant? My music is jazz, classic, techno, ambient, rock (not death and brutal metal), hip-hop, pop.

All recommendations are very much appreciated.

Well, having actually owned the SF Guarneri original...and then subsequently used the Antileon original with the SF Strads, i CAN say i loved the sound...power, control, bass, resolution tonal purity and deep color...but i can also say the original Antileon while wonderful is dark. While that does NOT mean the treble was not wonderful, detailed and organic (ie, not strident)...it DOES mean it was recessed in terms of presentation relative to mids and bass. All imho of course.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
If you are connecting with RCA's, check out the Wells Audio monoblocks and stereo amps. I like D'angostino and Wells best and I've been listening at shows for 15 years.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
David, I'm not sure I understand why you don't want a tube amp with your GE's, as all G's respond with great love to tubes, but so be it.
I have had great results with the Rowland amps...so a newer 725s would be on my list ( 825 or 925 if funds allow). The Dag you mentioned also sound very nice...and to that you could add one of the Sim audio amps...they have plenty of current and are great value for the money.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Well, having actually owned the SF Guarneri original...and then subsequently used the Antileon original with the SF Strads, i CAN say i loved the sound...power, control, bass, resolution tonal purity and deep color...but i can also say the original Antileon while wonderful is dark. While that does NOT mean the treble was not wonderful, detailed and organic (ie, not strident)...it DOES mean it was recessed in terms of presentation relative to mids and bass. All imho of course.

Thank you, I appreciate your experience.
I read a lot about it.

Did I understand correctly that Antileon has a little dark in the highs?

David David

Aug 9, 2018
If you are connecting with RCA's, check out the Wells Audio monoblocks and stereo amps. I like D'angostino and Wells best and I've been listening at shows for 15 years.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Thanks so much, I will looking to Wells Audio amps.

What can you say about the Classic Stereo from Dan?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I listen to much the same genres regularly. My Beatportpro shopping cart is almost never empty. My top choices are the Lamm M1.2 Reference (Hybrid) and the CH Precision M1 for SS. For tubes the KR VA200 delivers the goods in the top end with accompanying muscle for what I consider a steal. All of these are clear and extended and are exceptional when it comes to layering. Synth pads and arpeggios are holographic and bass lines are propulsive.

For less money I would consider the Constellation Taurus, also very clear, and for tubes the EAR Yoshino 509.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you, I appreciate your experience.
I read a lot about it.

Did I understand correctly that Antileon has a little dark in the highs?

Yes, I would say that the Antileon is dark in the highs...Antileon treble is detailed, analog, somewhat extended and never strident...just recessed (ie, my definition of dark).

David David

Aug 9, 2018
David, I'm not sure I understand why you don't want a tube amp with your GE's, as all G's respond with great love to tubes, but so be it.
I have had great results with the Rowland amps...so a newer 725s would be on my list ( 825 or 925 if funds allow). The Dag you mentioned also sound very nice...and to that you could add one of the Sim audio amps...they have plenty of current and are great value for the money.

Hello Dave.

The fact is that I like the fast sound.

Now I'm listening to my Evo with the integrated Ayre AX5 Twenty.
It's an interesting amplifier, very fast, and beautiful timbres. But I hears, that this AX-5 not enough to maximize realize the talents of the GE.
So I'm looking at a big and heavy power amplifier.

I know your system, and I saw your Jeff - I think that's a great variant.
But what do you think, Classic Stereo from Dan vs. Griffon Antileon and vs Jeff Rowland 8Ti - who of them has the best odds?

David David

Aug 9, 2018
I listen to much the same genres regularly. My Beatportpro shopping cart is almost never empty. My top choices are the Lamm M1.2 Reference (Hybrid) and the CH Precision M1 for SS. For tubes the KR VA200 delivers the goods in the top end with accompanying muscle for what I consider a steal. All of these are clear and extended and are exceptional when it comes to layering. Synth pads and arpeggios are holographic and bass lines are propulsive.

For less money I would consider the Constellation Taurus, also very clear, and for tubes the EAR Yoshino 509.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, these are good variants.
I was thinking about the Constellation, about Inspiration series, Stereo 1.0 model.
It's entry-level, I know, but it's good?
Thank you.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello Dave.

The fact is that I like the fast sound.

Now I'm listening to my Evo with the integrated Ayre AX5 Twenty.
It's an interesting amplifier, very fast, and beautiful timbres. But I hears, that this AX-5 not enough to maximize realize the talents of the GE.
So I'm looking at a big and heavy power amplifier.

I know your system, and I saw your Jeff - I think that's a great variant.
But what do you think, Classic Stereo from Dan vs. Griffon Antileon and vs Jeff Rowland 8Ti - who of them has the best odds?

David, I personally prefer the Rowland sound on G's. However, as I said, the Dag is very good and is a great match for the speaker. I have only heard the Antileon on one occasion, it did nothing for me.
I can hear what others find attractive with it, but I think on the GE's it wouldn't be a great match.
None of these amps are anywhere near as synergistic as a great pair of tube based ARC's or Jadis...IMHO.
Also, what to you is 'the fast sound'?? I'm not clear on what this term means.:confused:

Last edited:

David David

Aug 9, 2018
David, I personally prefer the Rowland sound on G's. However, as I said, the Dag is very good and is a great match for the speaker. I have only heard the Antileon on one occasion, it did nothing for me.
I can hear what others find attractive with it, but I think on the GE's it wouldn't be a great match.
None of these amps are anywhere near as synergistic as a great pair of tube based ARC's or Jadis...IMHO.
Also, what to you is 'the fast sound'?? I'm not clear on what this term means.:confused:

Thanks for your reply, Davey

Fast sound... I mean the excellent dynamics of signal growth. No delays.
I have not yet heard tube amplifiers, that would be super-dynamic.
In addition, I am convinced that the GE needs a lot of power and current.
I think that GE is the most difficult and the most capricious of the whole family of Guarneri. They are large, heavy, they have a floorstanding bass, but they also have low sensitivity and low impedance. Such a combination needs a good kick, and this should only make the SS-amplifier. IMHO.

I seriously thinking about Classic Stereo.
But I'm worried about the treble. I would like to hear more opinions on this matter, please?

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Yes, I would say that the Antileon is dark in the highs...Antileon treble is detailed, analog, somewhat extended and never strident...just recessed (ie, my definition of dark).

Understood. This is valuable information for me, I'm appreciate it.
And, any opinions about Classic Stereo please?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks for your reply, Davey

Fast sound... I mean the excellent dynamics of signal growth. No delays.
I have not yet heard tube amplifiers, that would be super-dynamic.
In addition, I am convinced that the GE needs a lot of power and current.
I think that GE is the most difficult and the most capricious of the whole family of Guarneri. They are large, heavy, they have a floorstanding bass, but they also have low sensitivity and low impedance. Such a combination needs a good kick, and this should only make the SS-amplifier. IMHO.

I seriously thinking about Classic Stereo.
But I'm worried about the treble. I would like to hear more opinions on this matter, please?

Excellent dynamics have to do with the up stream amplifier's transformer..and its quality. I don't think it has anything to do with tubes vs ss. For instance, one of the main reasons that I chose my Jadis amps to mate with the GH's is that they feature superb transformers. As such, i can get away with 45 watts/ch with these particular amps. Interesting enough, in some ways they portray dynamics slightly better than my 250watt/ch ss Rowland amp!! Certainly they have more than enough drive to power these speakers.
While the GE does need a great power source with current capability, that doesn't necessarily rule out tubes. If funds allow, maybe look into one of the more powerful Jadis or CAT amps...would drive your GE's with plenty of dynamics.
If you are still stuck on the ss idea, I would go with the Dag stereo amp or the Rowland model 725s mono block ( I prefer a mono block to a stereo amp...generally).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Understood. This is valuable information for me, I'm appreciate it.
And, any opinions about Classic Stereo please?

Hi David David...I have only heard the Antileon with SF. I have never heard the D'Agostino with it. I CAN say that SF Homage series definitely respond well to high quality current, but do not need massive muscle amps imho. I think the line below the Homage did when i heard it...massive Krells made a huge improvement over mid-powered tubes imho. But the Guarneris and Strads (not so much Amati)...sounded absolutely sublime with superb quality tubed amps imho. If you really wanted them to drive at scale, they benefited from high quality muscle...but in general the Guarneri is not about muscle...it is about air, refinement and a lithe touch to music that is, again, sublime.

I have to guess the D'Agostino would be superb with it...as would Bully Sounds if they are still being made.

David David

Aug 9, 2018
Hi David David...I have only heard the Antileon with SF. I have never heard the D'Agostino with it. I CAN say that SF Homage series definitely respond well to high quality current, but do not need massive muscle amps imho. I think the line below the Homage did when i heard it...massive Krells made a huge improvement over mid-powered tubes imho. But the Guarneris and Strads (not so much Amati)...sounded absolutely sublime with superb quality tubed amps imho. If you really wanted them to drive at scale, they benefited from high quality muscle...but in general the Guarneri is not about muscle...it is about air, refinement and a lithe touch to music that is, again, sublime.

I have to guess the D'Agostino would be superb with it...as would Bully Sounds if they are still being made.

Hello.

Oh, I think that I'm interested in amplifiers from BSC. Their top models.
I like the concept and design. I think that these are good amplifiers.
But, do they still made amplifiers? I have no information about it. I send email a month ago, but no answer.
If someone knows about this, then let me know please.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
David David, IMHO one thing that you do not want with GH's are sterile and dry sounding ss amps. G's of all persuasions will allow you to hear upstream issues with the driving amps...and will lay bare all of their warts.
BSC amps would NOT be on my short list with these speakers.YMMV. I presume you are not looking at the Dag's or the Rowlands anymore?

David David

Aug 9, 2018
David David, IMHO one thing that you do not want with GH's are sterile and dry sounding ss amps. G's of all persuasions will allow you to hear upstream issues with the driving amps...and will lay bare all of their warts.
BSC amps would NOT be on my short list with these speakers.YMMV. I presume you are not looking at the Dag's or the Rowlands anymore?

Hello Davey!

Really thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.

Totally agree with you when you say that the best solution for an amplifier is monoblocks.
About Bully Sounds: you listened to the BSC, and you did not like the sound of these amplifiers? I never listened to them, but I believe in experience of Bret Dagostino.
On the forums, I found opinions that the BSC sound like Krell. Interestingly, is it true?

Classic Stereo and Rowland 8T still in my list.
Classic Stereo is the first. I hope that at the end of August I will be able to hear it in my system.
I also have a offer for the set Rowland - 8Ti-HC and Synergi pre. Btw, what about this set in general and especially preamp?
And, I would be very grateful for any opinions on the Gryphon Encore amplifier.

Cheers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I like the Dags, but the momentums. Never heard the classic. Have you heard Vitus?

David David

Aug 9, 2018
I like the Dags, but the momentums. Never heard the classic.

Hello, and thank you for discuss in thread.
Unfortunately I can not access Momentum, but here what I read in the description of the Classic Stereo:
"Its core technologies are heavily based on the design of D'Agostino's acclaimed Momentum amplifiers."
Do you think this is true? Or just a marketing move? Any opinions are appreciated.

Have you heard Vitus?

Sure. But I heard complaints about the unstable work of Vitus.
In addition, I think that the sound of Vitus is dark. I'm looking for an amplifier with a clear and "refreshing" sound. I will be grateful for any recommendations.

Cheers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing