The importance of Resolution

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Blinking heck, Ked. That's the best thing you've ever written!:)

Must be quite something then given historical standards

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I agree with the last para. When I am looking at a component X, if someone says Y is better than X, I simply go and listen to Y. I don't really care for the poster's why... Yes, if I l listen to Y, I might be able to relate to his why's better.

Hey Bonzo,

Absolutely. Their "why" might be wrong for the right reasons or right for the wrong ones, i.e. they conflate one variable for another ('detail' for upper-mid hardness, or 'dynamics' for lack of dynamic range and vice versa). Any definition is only as useful as the insight of the individual offering it (1). And even then, that observation tells me less about the system in question than it does the preferences and blah blah blah

853guy

(1) Duration of exposure is not the same as expertise. Indeed, it’s completely possible to work at something for a long time and remain incompetent.

Expertise is not the same as insight. Indeed, it’s complete possible to be highly competent, yet suffer from domain-dependent blindness.

I will take insight from someone who has no experience over ignorance from someone who is considered an expert every time. Experience and expertise (i.e. status) should never be conflated with robust thinking. They are never ever the same.

Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
FWIW, if you hear or read me say that something is musical in the absolute or more musical in relative comparison then I am stating that for whatever reason, that system sounds closer to what I perceive real/live music to sound like. This is a wholistic analysis and not due to any one or even 10 traits a system exhibits. IMO musical = more real. It can be colored, lacking detail or have other detectable issues and still sound realistic or more real than another system that has arguably more resolution...although I would argue this is more likely superficial resolution...aka detail.

Hey morricab,

Agree. Conflation of variables (as I mention above to Bonzo) is one of the single greatest problems apropos subjectivised preferential pursuits. I would include evaluation of all art forms of which recorded music reproduced via an electro-mechanical mechanism is obviously one, to be problematic in this regard. We are never reading the review. We are always reading the reviewer.

Best,

853guy

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Can someone be so kind to give me idea on sound difference in striking triangle on its interior vs exterior?

Kind regards,
Tang

The harmonics are different depending on where on the triangle you strike it and how hard you strike it. Striking one on a corner versus on the middle of a section yields a more obvious difference.

May I suggest you sneak into an orchestra's rehearsal and sit with the percussion section. You need more exposure to classical music anyway. :). Or you could buy a 'professional' triangle and try it. more :)

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
Can someone be so kind to give me idea on sound difference in striking triangle on its interior vs exterior?

Kind regards,
Tang

I can't give any technical explanation about the triangle, only this one during a horn-audio-sit-in session (CD Dum & Track Disc - Sheffield Lab) with a friend percusionist.
He heard (blindly & not knowing the CD) with surprise how the stroking & tapping of the stick on the cymbal on the bottom or the top happened .....
An unheard view/sound, subtle .... (dixit my friend)
Karel

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In the last few years, I've heard some fascinating systems, all with very high resolution, but often night and day when it comes to musicality and enjoyment.

I've heard Cessaro Liszts uber horns sound compelling (despite a highly flawed room) on DD tt and Class AB SS amps, and ironically pretty uninvolving on belt drive tt and Class A tubes, doubly ironic since the latter was in a vastly better room, seemingly more resolution and details, but just anodyne and bloodless.

I've heard Apogee Divas, restored by Rich, the main man in the US, in a room to die for, superb rig incl Kuzma tt, Kondo and Spectral, power setup and acoustics at the bleeding edge. Detail in abundance, I could literally tell how many feet the hi-hat was to the bass player. And a purely intellectual exercise in HiFi box ticking, all sizzle and no steak.

I then head Apogee Duettas in a much less optimised space, detail and resolution of an order less, w more colourstions, and yet these Apogees were fully engaging.

I've also heard an uber neutral system w no apparent signature, superficially similar to the failed Divas demo, but the end result was hypnotically engaging. Here the careful attention to component matching, room and power produced an invisible fingerprint, this allowing musicality unfettered.

And last, but absolutely not least, the single most musical component ever, the Denman Exponential Horn.
25' long, 6' x 5' horn mouth, in a brutal conference type space, it had no business sounding good, let alone cosmically awe inspiring.
We're talking detail at a quantum level, raindrops in a storm each of which had a personality, bullets in gunfire which could be picked out of the air, voice that sounded like from on high.
But nothing below 30Hz or above 6kHz. No Magico type uber resolution. Just a sound hard wired to one's pleasure centres.

And yet the most limited in many ways was the most realistic sounding to you...curious don't you think?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you for both explanation and suggestion. Striking cymbals in different places I can hear the differences. My asking was about striking inside vs outside the triangle; not striking one in the middle and one near the corner nor hard vs softer strike.
When there is a chance I will strike it myself to hear :D.

Kind regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, well this is the rub.
Those Denmans were uber resolving, all off 0.4W into a highly modded WE field coil driver, fully saturating a 40m x 30m x 15m space made out of partitions in the middle of a museum.

So none of that third violinist sneezing rubbish or drummers throne squeaking malarkey that uber resolution fiends crave.

No, this was resolution at a subatomic level where the whole was truly the sum of its parts.

My GF had to literally drag me home after I fell under the greatest spell any audio has cast on me.

This horn worked on so many levels, I felt like a toddler discovering the power of music for the first time.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks guys, now that I have some credit in the account, excuse me while I elsewhere post something annoying.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Al M. said:
Thanks guys, now that I have some credit in the account, excuse me while I elsewhere post something annoying.

Hehe.

Given the nature of forums and, especially, forums dealing with human perception and preference, it’s usually not long before the point one strongly agrees with is followed by another point from the same person one strongly disagrees with. Often it’s the next post, if not the next sentence.

853guy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well 853, i TOTALLY disagree w that.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Well 853, i TOTALLY disagree w that.

Bah-DUM-Pssssssshhhhhhhh.

853guy

P.S. Could you tell I was using a maple stick with a nylon tip, and hitting the bow of the cymbal close to the stick's taper? If not, my posts probably could do with more resolution.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
853, at the weekend I heard Rush YYZ for the umpteenth time since 1981, and thought I knew it backwards.
This time I was fully aware of NPeart's ride cymbal technique as never before, switching from bell to shank and back again.
Now I heard similar things re Bill Brufords drumkit on the Apogee/Kuzma/Spectral/Kondo setup, but it wasn't half as musical as this Aqua/SGM/tubes/AG Duos sound.
Both are really resolute and detailed. Only one was forensic and uninvolving, only one was immersive and holistic. And both presentations were a product of uber resolution.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
When writing the 'what does it sound like' portion of an equipment review I steadfastly avoid use of the word "musical." Its most generous definition is that of a personal judgement about the degree to which a component or system's sound resembles live music. On its own it has low communcation value for describing what you hear to someone else and inevitably more words are necessary to explain what it means. The word is heavly overused in general discussion. When someone uses it I generally take it to mean: "I like it."

Thus, any squabbling about the relative mutual exclusivity or mutual compatibility of "musical" and "resolution" is a path to nowhere.

"Resolution" typically needs a definition, additional words that cash out what you're saying when you use it. Frequently it is used to discuss the amount of detail in reproduced sound. "On system A I could not tell that Marriner introduced an organ into the orchestration, but system B made it obvious. System B had greater resolution." "The system had such resolution I could hear that the percussionist was striking the triangle on its interior, each side in turn." When looking for "resolution" in his glossary, Holt tells us to see "definition" which tells us to see "focus." "I could tell that cartridge was highly resolving because performers positions did not shift about and their outlines and separation were crisp and obvious." If you want to talk about High Resolution, tell us what you mean.

[Sidebar: Do you want to hear more detail from your stereo than you'd hear at a live event?]

Imo, more effective communication happens when such examples are used. Describe what you hear. That's not to say a summing-up or generalized characterization should not be done, but such becomes much more intelligible with examples of what it means. Communicating about sound can be hard. Forum level discussions tend to be quick and passing with a lot of shorthand tossed about.

What sonic characteristics are important to me? On a small level, I find myself prioritizing toward what a score tells a musician, and then some: Timing, Dynamics and Tonality; these are, if you will, the infrastructure for Pitch and Timbre and attributes such as Resolution. On a large level: Transparency or the minimzation any 'mechanicalness', hearing the equipment - I like gear that doesn't make me think about it; Context - a sense of musicians in a space making music - partly what "presence" conveys; lastly, what I'll call Emotional Engagement - I want to be able to lose myself in the sound of a system that allows me to slip out of it and into the reality of the performance.

Thanks for the (as always) engaging thoughts Tim, I love the challenge on the question over using musical as part of gear description. I would be one who often distinguishes the capacity of some systems to engage musically and agree that the term itself is hard to define.

As an abstract the definition is, as you say, vague but I believe the actual experience of a system that is playing and musically engaging is something that is quite often mutually recognised in a shared listening. So maybe we know what the experience feels like but just not what actually defines it.

So all the criteria or qualities you discuss deeper into the post like timing, tonality presence, dynamics etc are all qualities that can build on replaying the expressiveness of the performance.

I’ve always related the idea that a setup is musically engaging with the notion that the expressiveness of the performance is conveyed in a way much as it might be if heard live.

For whatever reason some systems can deliver much detail yet somehow still fail to engage you in the music. This falls into the perception that the system is presenting in a manner that leads you to listen in a detached or analytical way.

Like many abstract concepts it presents a challenge to being boxed in and analysed, but surely this is in the nature of subjectivity and higher order concepts.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Like Tango, l am curios about how a triangle sounds different depending on whether it is struck on the inside or outside of the middle part of one of its three sides. This was given as an example of resolution.

Actually it was an example of giving an example to explain what someone might mean by "resolution." The point being that the term "resolution" by itself is, well, insufficently resolved, and warrants further explication or example(s) in order to better communicate what is meant to someone else. :) And, fwiw, that use of the triangle strike as an example did not mention where on the inside it was struck.

But to try to speak to your curiousity rather than the way it is broached: "how a triangle sounds different depending on whether it is struck on the inside or outside..." I am neither physicist nor perscussionist, though I'm somewhat familiar with the playing of and listening to percussion instruments. I believe how a triangle (or other piece of metal) will sound depends on where on the instrument and how hard it is struck. (If you disbelieve that statement then the example may be moot as a useful example for you.) There is a technique where the instrument is struck on its interior sides in rapid succession. Side one, two, three then repeat and do it quickly. The sound can be different than striking the outside quickly and successively in the same spot. In the former approach - the dinner bell strike as it were - the interior side struck has time to resonate longer before being struck again. The motion of the musician in making the strike, possibly circular on the interior, whether glancing or direct can be a factor. Whether a given person hears it or a given system resolves it is a different matter.

If someone made that statement about hearing the reproduction of a triangle, would you accept it as an example of resolution whether you knew its truth-value or not?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
853, at the weekend I heard Rush YYZ for the umpteenth time since 1981, and thought I knew it backwards.
This time I was fully aware of NPeart's ride cymbal technique as never before, switching from bell to shank and back again.
Now I heard similar things re Bill Brufords drumkit on the Apogee/Kuzma/Spectral/Kondo setup, but it wasn't half as musical as this Aqua/SGM/tubes/AG Duos sound.
Both are really resolute and detailed. Only one was forensic and uninvolving, only one was immersive and holistic. And both presentations were a product of uber resolution.

Hey Spirit,

Right. But there’s often two processes at work there. One may be increased resolution in the mechanism, the other may be increased perception/understanding on the part of the individual.

My own comprehension of the difference between a guitarist playing an upstroke versus a downstoke on heavy distorted riffs only became clearer when I picked up guitar and started playing the riffs myself. It was my own perception via the process of becoming a practitioner - learning the how as distinct from the what - that offered greater insight into what I heard, not greater ‘insight’ provided by the system. The resolution of the system was irrelevant. One can only hear what one can perceive.

Consequently, it’s possible to increase system resolution through set-up and gear changes, while remaining ignorant of what’s being heard and why. A highly resolving system is no more an indication of the owner’s insight, than a garage full of supercars is an indication of their driving ability. In fact, sometimes, there's an inverse correlation.

Best,

853guy

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks for the (as always) engaging thoughts Tim, I love the challenge on the question over using musical as part of gear description. I would be one who often distinguishes the capacity of some systems to engage musically and agree that the term itself is hard to define.

As an abstract the definition is, as you say, vague but I believe the actual experience of a system that is playing and musically engaging is something that is quite often mutually recognised in a shared listening. So maybe we know what the experience feels like but just not what actually defines it.

So all the criteria or qualities you discuss deeper into the post like timing, tonality presence, dynamics etc are all qualities that can build on replaying the expressiveness of the performance.

I’ve always related the idea that a setup is musically engaging with the notion that the expressiveness of the performance is conveyed in a way much as it might be if heard live.

For whatever reason some systems can deliver much detail yet somehow still fail to engage you in the music. This falls into the perception that the system is presenting in a manner that leads you to listen in a detached or analytical way.

Like many abstract concepts it presents a challenge to being boxed in and analysed, but surely this is in the nature of subjectivity and higher order concepts.

Thanks Tao. I'm inclined to agree, at least somewhat. I believe that in large we all hear similarly and for those of us familiar in the tradition of Western composers share many of the same expectations about such things as the completion or release at the end of musical phrases. We do have different preferences among ourselves though it is not surprising that some of those preferences can be shared, both for live music and reproduction. I don't think it is uncommon for one person to say "that system is musical" and some other listener nods in agreement. The common experience can be a far better communicator than reading about it. But here we are in audio forums talking about our preferences and priorities.

The audiophile vocabulary, our guild-speak, is pretty limiting. Then again that is often what is expected in reviews. (Does it have slam?) And forum posts tend to be written quickly, with less time spent in expository writing and often too much time with hyperbole - in order to make a point and get on to the next one. Thinking more about it, my point was (probably) that examples of what we hear - efforts at describing what we hear while listening - tend to say more than the shorthand words we like to use. The shorthand has its uses to congeal the listening experiences. Sometimes we don't have the time or patience to work through listening descriptions of music we don't know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing