The importance of Resolution

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I see a lot of parallels, in terms of resolution, between audio and video: You can have a a lot of video detail - like going from SD, to HD, UHD, etc - but the colors may be off; in audio, you may have a lot of detail as well but lack in timbral resolution as I mentioned earlier. You may also be lacking in dynamic contrast; and this relates to macro-dynamic resolution I mentioned before. Depth may not be sufficient (soundstage resolution), shadow definition may not be accurate (in audio, instrumental resolution may drop as the signal gets more complex or below a certain volume/noise threshold), or there may be brightness gradation issues in dark scenes (which I liken to micro-dynamic resolution and note decay in audio, still the result of system resolution).

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That’s a brilliant correlation Ack. A bit like it is easy for us to see when a photo of a person appears beautiful and natural as opposed to something that has had its saturation enhanced and pumped up in photoshop. The treated image can still look amazing but no longer looks natural.

So the way something is treated or coloured makes us look more at the image rather than look at the person and maybe just appreciating the expressions on their face which may well be a more meaningful thing for us to be looking at.

This is the beauty of when the music we play at home sounds natural rather than hyped or treated unnaturally, it lets us focus on the performance and the expressions of the music rather than listening to the quality of the sounds even though these of themselves can still be appreciated as well. This for me is what it means to hear a musical sounding system, where it is so natural and engaging that nothing distracts from the wholeness of the musical experience.

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Tao

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If one instrument is reproduced correctly, shouldn't they all be? That would be resolution.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I see a lot of parallels, in terms of resolution, between audio and video: You can have a a lot of video detail - like going from SD, to HD, UHD, etc - but the colors may be off; in audio, you may have a lot of detail as well but lack in timbral resolution as I mentioned earlier. You may also be lacking in dynamic contrast; and this relates to macro-dynamic resolution I mentioned before. Depth may not be sufficient (soundstage resolution), shadow definition may not be accurate (in audio, instrumental resolution may drop as the signal gets more complex or below a certain volume/noise threshold), or there may be brightness gradation issues in dark scenes (which I liken to micro-dynamic resolution and note decay in audio, still the result of system resolution).

Great post, Ack. I would add that distortion, whether it is saturated colors, or overly sharp pixels, like "heightened" detail in audio, can grab one's attention in the store or upon brief sessions, but over longer term viewing/listening, can cause fatique or just not sound/look natural. Where the analogy falls slightly short in my view is in the area of "presence" or that 3D holographic imaging or impression that the performer is in the room with us or we are there. In video, it always looks "flat" to me, though sometimes I am just lost in the movie so I don't notice.

I like the analogy of focusing a camera lens and increasing resolution in audio. There is a point at which everything snaps into place and almost looks/sounds real. And one can take it at a certain scale or zoom in for a closer look in both mediums, like focusing on a solo instrument versus an orchestra.

Anyway, when we mention photography and film/video, people seem to be able to relate to the concept or attribute of resolution.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If one instrument is reproduced correctly, shouldn't they all be?

Not necessarily - as I mentioned above, as the signal gets more complex, resolution may indeed drop, harshness kicks in, and it can all be a mess. As an example, my DAC can be a resolution champ, but up to a point, and when Mahler's 2nd gets oh so complex in the end, it falls on its face, like so many others - imagine, 120-strong chorus, an organ, plus full orchestra... except for the Vivaldi, the Spectral SDR-4000SV player and so many other true high-end DACs.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Where the analogy falls slightly short in my view is in the area of "presence" or that 3D holographic imaging or impression that the performer is in the room with us or we are there. In video, it always looks "flat" to me, though sometimes I am just lost in the movie so I don't notice.

With video, the you-are-there feeling can be there with higher refresh rates; some TVs do that really, really well.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Not necessarily - as I mentioned above, as the signal gets more complex, resolution may indeed drop, harshness kicks in, and it can all be a mess. As an example, my DAC can be a resolution champ, but up to a point, and when Mahler's 2nd gets oh so complex in the end, it falls on its face, like so many others - imagine, 120-strong chorus, an organ, plus full orchestra... except for the Vivaldi, the Spectral SDR-4000SV player and so many other true high-end DACs.

Hmmm...every system can achieve the necessary clarity....imho.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You and I have similar tastes. Jack de Johnette is my favorite American jazz drummer. My favorite European jazz drummer is Jon Christiansen (ECM), marvelous cymbal work that only the most dynamic systems can reproduce.

In regards to Copland, he appears on several albums with credits for cymbals and hi-hats only.

Yes I love Christensen as well as he appears on several of my favorite ECMs.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
If one instrument is reproduced correctly, shouldn't they all be? That would be resolution.

Many systems start to sound "confused" once complex music is played. Too much hash being generated starts to smear the whole thing together.

I had a Chinese preamp (Puresound L10) that had this issue until I swapped out the output transformers for some good quality Lundahls. Then it held together when things got busy. Seems the other trafos just were distorting too much and when signal got busy.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
With video, the you-are-there feeling can be there with higher refresh rates; some TVs do that really, really well.

Yes. Analogies may help with the notion of resolution in audio. And further helpful in our attempts to communicate with one another in describing sound.

Similar to what you're pointing out, is visual resolution based on the number of pixels available. Think about viewing a photo on a computer monitor and those monitors evolving from say 640x480 to 1280x1024 pixels. With more information can come increased image clarity. While obscured detail may be there to emerge or not, where, imo, the real improvement comes is in what I might call improvement in the density or depth of what is perceived. We might think of this in audio as relates to tonal density or depth, (not image depth) or perhaps harmonic saturation - more information about something already present (a tone), not something new or additionallly present (a previously unheard tone, though that could also happen.) To go back to video, it is something like more of the same information. Take the analogy of a tone to a color - a higher pixel density may cause the color to appear richer, more 'solid'. This is something of a thought experiment so bear with me. I don't know if analog sound can be perceived 'more analog' or 'less analog'; a notion worth exploring. (Trying to keep the combustion level low by not using the 'D' word.)

Or consider 'continuousness' - a term HP liked to use, and one I struggled with - I'm still not certain I grasp what he meant by it. Holt never takes it up. One possible meaning is 'flow.' And here the video analogy in terms of number of pixels and refresh rate may help. Lower pixel-count motion is 'less even', less continous, even with a higher refresh rate(?). More information of the same type in audio (higher resolution) - think for example of note decay, its length and tonal completeness - yields more continuous continuousness. (My pardon to the nominalists.) Could this be a form of 'resolution'? - but not in terms of detail, which seems the more commonly cited use of the term.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes. Analogies may help with the notion of resolution in audio. And further helpful in our attempts to communicate with one another in describing sound.

Similar to what you're pointing out, is visual resolution based on the number of pixels available. Think about viewing a photo on a computer monitor and those monitors evolving from say 640x480 to 1280x1024 pixels. With more information can come increased image clarity. While obscured detail may be there to emerge or not, where, imo, the real improvement comes is in what I might call improvement in the density or depth of what is perceived. We might think of this in audio as relates to tonal density or depth, (not image depth) or perhaps harmonic saturation - more information about something already present (a tone), not something new or additionallly present (a previously unheard tone, though that could also happen.) To go back to video, it is something like more of the same information. Take the analogy of a tone to a color - a higher pixel density may cause the color to appear richer, more 'solid'. This is something of a thought experiment so bear with me. I don't know if analog sound can be perceived 'more analog' or 'less analog'; a notion worth exploring. (Trying to keep the combustion level low by not using the 'D' word.)

Or consider 'continuousness' - a term HP liked to use, and one I struggled with - I'm still not certain I grasp what he meant by it. Holt never takes it up. One possible meaning is 'flow.' And here the video analogy in terms of number of pixels and refresh rate may help. Lower pixel-count motion is 'less even', less continous, even with a higher refresh rate(?). More information of the same type in audio (higher resolution) - think for example of note decay, its length and tonal completeness - yields more continuous continuousness. (My pardon to the nominalists.) Could this be a form of 'resolution'? - but not in terms of detail, which seems the more commonly cited use of the term.

I must say that I consider that analogies in high-end stereo are usually misleading and limit the debate to the superficial aspects.

IMHO resolution in audio is not correlated with signal to noise ratio or number of bits, except for a limited range of values that are outside what we are debating. Curious that you pick the 'continuousness', something that I also find is very interconnected with resolution.
HP had a interesting essay on it in the review of the conrad johnson ART preamplifier, highlighting this characteristic of the ART. And yes, I owned it and it had plenty of 'continuousness' - this magic attribute that makes you follow the music and apprehend the small details without effort. If someone valuates a lot this 'continuousness' he will find that later preamplfiers , such as the ACT's were a back step - they sounded more detailed but had less 'continuousness'. But the market was asking for more detail and slam and cj followed that line.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So the CJ is more continuous (flowing) than the AR?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I considered so, but the REF40 preamplifier made me re-think it. IMHO the GAT is on par with the REF40, depending on matching with the system.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I must say that I consider that analogies in high-end stereo are usually misleading and limit the debate to the superficial aspects.

IMHO resolution in audio is not correlated with signal to noise ratio or number of bits, except for a limited range of values that are outside what we are debating. Curious that you pick the 'continuousness', something that I also find is very interconnected with resolution.
HP had a interesting essay on it in the review of the conrad johnson ART preamplifier, highlighting this characteristic of the ART. And yes, I owned it and it had plenty of 'continuousness' - this magic attribute that makes you follow the music and apprehend the small details without effort. If someone valuates a lot this 'continuousness' he will find that later preamplfiers , such as the ACT's were a back step - they sounded more detailed but had less 'continuousness'. But the market was asking for more detail and slam and cj followed that line.

Without meaning to spin off in (yet?) another direction:

I believe the relatively lower success of the ACT2 (i owned one of those) and the second ACT2 resulted from CJ's switch from the 6922 family to the 6H30? - I believe that was CJ's first go with that tube in a linestage. The ACT2 (meant to be the follow-on to the ART) no longer had the slightly golden 'CJ sound' and was rebuked by many among the CJ faithful. It took 'em awhile to realize this but they did return to the 6922. ARC had a much better implementation of the 6H30? and their success with it continues today. Also 'ART' was a golden name with an aura attached to it by HP. Wish I never sold my CJ Premier 16LS ('the baby ART).

Poor analogies rarely work, but thoughtful ones may bridge gaps in communication, though they can only carry so far before they fall apart. After all, they are only analogies.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Perhaps at the time of the original ART LS. Not so with 21st C. ARC Reference Series, beginning with REF 2SE phono carrying through REF 10 Phono and LS. Imo only, a lot of 20th C ARC sounded like tin-foil tastes.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
tima said:
ack said:

Hello ack, tima and micro,

A higher refresh rate/film rate does not, in-and-of-itself, lead to higher resolution. A higher refresh rate/film rate can lead only to higher perceived resolution (1).

Why do I say perceived resolution? Because we are perceivers. And we have been perceiving since the day we were born. Our brain has been hardwired via information taken from the eyes and processed in the brain.

When we watch a tennis ball fly through the air, our brain is processing a continuous stream of information in time. If we were to film that same tennis ball using the same lense on 35mm film at 24fps (an inherent pixel count of approx. 6K) and via 8K HD at say, 60fps (2), we would be subjugating that continuous event to a series on individual images captured contiguously in time. When we watch those images back, we are attempting to portray a contiguous process (over time) as a continuous one (in time) (3).

If we were then to take that 24fps film and look at each independent frame via a 6K digital intermediate (its “native” resolution), we would see individual images that lack specificity of image definition. Essentially, the ball will look blurred in every frame. Once projected digitally from the 6K intermediate, however, we would likely perceive a tennis ball flying through the air in a way some would agree is “true to life” (4).

However, if we were to view the 60fps HD footage as an 8K digital intermediate, we would see individual frames of greater image definition that are less blurred than the 24fps film footage, but curiously, once played back, some would potentially perceive the tennis ball’s movement to be less true to life - despite the higher pixel count and the higher frame rate.

Why? Because we cannot but perceive reality. And although the 8K 60fps digitally-captured footage is technically superior in both pixel count and frame rate to the 35mm film, it’s our brain that defines whether or not something is “true to (our experience of) life”. The medium via the mechanism can only present a form of reality for our brains to evaluate via our perception - they themselves do not define reality.

When we talk about resolution then, what we are really talking about is information that most aligns with our brain’s perception of reality. Perhaps we can all point to very high resolution systems (audio and visual) that nevertheless were perceived to be less true to (our perception) of reality, or to use a problematic term, were perceived to be “unnatural” (5).

So it seems to me it’s impossible to talk about resolution in video and audio unless resolution is understood as a container for several variables (it is always color and contrast over time/pitch and amplitude over time) relative to our perception via the eye/brain and ear/brain mechanism. To define resolution solely in terms of frame and sampling rate relative to pixel count and bit depth is insufficient, I would posit.

My best to you, gentlemen,

853guy

(1) For the purposes of this discussion, I am limiting the notion of refresh rate to capture in fps since it can be quantified, rather than the variables of HD screens and their “claimed” refresh rates which are often marketing jargon disguised as legitimate specs.

(2) The Red Monstro is capable of 60fps at 8K Full Format (8192 × 4320).

(3) Analogue (tape/vinyl) is a process of continuous capture/playback. Digital is a process of contiguous capture/playback.

(4) Please note the qualifiers “likely” and “some”.

(5) I could point to some very high resolution cable lines as cases in point, but to do so would only tell you about my perception relative to my preferences and biases.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello ack, tima and micro,

A higher refresh rate/film rate does not, in-and-of-itself, lead to higher resolution. A higher refresh rate/film rate can lead only to higher perceived resolution (1).

Why do I say perceived resolution? Because we are perceivers. And we have been perceiving since the day we were born. Our brain has been hardwired via information taken from the eyes and processed in the brain.

When we watch a tennis ball fly through the air, our brain is processing a continuous stream of information in time. If we were to film that same tennis ball using the same lense on 35mm film at 24fps (an inherent pixel count of approx. 6K) and via 8K HD at say, 60fps (2), we would be subjugating that continuous event to a series on individual images captured contiguously in time. When we watch those images back, we are attempting to portray a contiguous process (over time) as a continuous one (in time) (3).

If we were then to take that 24fps film and look at each independent frame via a 6K digital intermediate (its “native” resolution), we would see individual images that lack specificity of image definition. Essentially, the ball will look blurred in every frame. Once projected digitally from the 6K intermediate, however, we would likely perceive a tennis ball flying through the air in a way some would agree is “true to life” (4).

However, if we were to view the 60fps HD footage as an 8K digital intermediate, we would see individual frames of greater image definition that are less blurred than the 24fps film footage, but curiously, once played back, some would potentially perceive the tennis ball’s movement to be less true to life - despite the higher pixel count and the higher frame rate.

Why? Because we cannot but perceive reality. And although the 8K 60fps digitally-captured footage is technically superior in both pixel count and frame rate to the 35mm film, it’s our brain that defines whether or not something is “true to (our experience of) life”. The medium via the mechanism can only present a form of reality for our brains to evaluate via our perception - they themselves do not define reality.

When we talk about resolution then, what we are really talking about is information that most aligns with our brain’s perception of reality. Perhaps we can all point to very high resolution systems (audio and visual) that nevertheless were perceived to be less true to (our perception) of reality, or to use a problematic term, were perceived to be “unnatural” (5).

So it seems to me it’s impossible to talk about resolution in video and audio unless resolution is understood as a container for several variables (it is always color and contrast over time/pitch and amplitude over time) relative to our perception via the eye/brain and ear/brain mechanism. To define resolution solely in terms of frame and sampling rate relative to pixel count and bit depth is insufficient, I would posit.

My best to you, gentlemen,

853guy

(1) For the purposes of this discussion, I am limiting the notion of refresh rate to capture in fps since it can be quantified, rather than the variables of HD screens and their “claimed” refresh rates which are often marketing jargon disguised as legitimate specs.

(2) The Red Monstro is capable of 60fps at 8K Full Format (8192 × 4320).

(3) Analogue (tape/vinyl) is a process of continuous capture/playback. Digital is a process of contiguous capture/playback.

(4) Please note the qualifiers “likely” and “some”.

(5) I could point to some very high resolution cable lines as cases in point, but to do so would only tell you about my perception relative to my preferences and biases.

Well put. It's for this reason that I still hold live/in amplified music as the only real reference. When a system sounds closer to this ideal then I know it is of a fundamentally higher resolution to the human perception of real.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing