Air Force Zero PRICE

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I continue to be amazed over how much TT appearance (particularly those plastic coated exotic wood plinths) has influence on purchase decisions. Copper coated platters also seem popular. There may or may not be sonic benefits but I've read many posts where 'tables are rejected based solely on looks.

I wonder if aesthetics have an effect on the sales of the AF2. One does not read much about that turntable.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Only 50 Air Force Zero will be built. It is because TechDAS only has 50 NOS motors left from Micro Seki era. Those air bearing motors are used in AF0.

I don’t know if they’re taking preorder at the moment. At least I am not aware of it. I visited them as a potential buyer of AF0 and they did not mention anything about it.

The motor can be found in Europe in several tape recorders - considering the price of the turntable, the manufacturer can afford to buy the machines just for the motor!

I have once seen one in an auction of the french eBay - still regret not having bought it, I could proudly write in my WBF signature - owner of the AS2000/AF0 synchronous motor! :)

Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Very industrial looking design, i quite like it! Although I would question a belt drive at that price level...and I am a BIG fan of belt drives. Direct drive would seem more the way to go, IMO.

Dave, have you ever seen a direct drive table with such a massive platter? I am curious why I've not seen such designs. I think this belt is non-compliant, just like on the AS2000, so belt creep should be minimal. Are you suggesting that the speed would be more stable and accurate if it were direct drive?

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Peter, that is exactly what I am suggesting. Personally, I am VERY cognizant of any speed inaccuracies, as such any belt creep would be a non-starter for me. YMMV.
The question would also arise is whether one needs such a massive platter if a direct drive was being utilized?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As TLi and David said this is a pic of the working prototype.

Marc what you're seeing is 2 out of the 3 plinth layers. I would stop complaining. What you are looking at is essentially your amps still in bread board form. That's not to say you or I would like the finished look but the fact is that it IS unfinnished. Hey, I don't like and never liked the Veyron's scarab looking carapace but do realize that it's bulk was required in order to provide driver and passenger comfort as opposed to the feline lines of say the Agera RS1. I also hate the looks of the McLaren long tail and frankly think the Zonda much more handsome than its flap waving successor. I do appreciate that the tail and the flaps are borne of function regardless and that the long tail is the fastest Mclaren in a straight line and the Huwayra the better handling Paganni.

What I do hope is that in the end they keep the reach to the arms short. It would be a shame if the size of the table would require the owners to have NBA wing spans. Depths of over 20" begin to be problematic for rear arm access.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Peter, that is exactly what I am suggesting. Personally, I am VERY cognizant of any speed inaccuracies, as such any belt creep would be a non-starter for me. YMMV.
The question would also arise is whether one needs such a massive platter if a direct drive was being utilized?

I suspect it depends on the design and implementation of the drive system in a direct drive. I'm not a physicist, so free to speculate that a highly accurate turntable can be built that does not rely on mass and inertia.

While a large chunk of metal may have damping properties that are frequency tuneable based on metal(s) and/or structure, other means (different materials) can yield equal effectiveness to keep vibration away from the record. But there a different controller mechanism could be required, one that gives feedback about platter speed, rather than relying primarily on the motor and inertia. The same approach could happen with a high mass platter, but I bet the motor would be different in order to control that mass. Speculation on my part.

Rather than adapt existing motors to specifications, or adapt design to existing motors, I wonder how many TT manufacturers build their own motor?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
What I do hope is that in the end they keep the reach to the arms short. It would be a shame if the size of the table would require the owners to have NBA wing spans. Depths of over 20" begin to be problematic for rear arm access.
They might have to design the integrated stand for the whole AF0 to rest upon. A multi-arm tt this size will be better off stand alone with accessibility to all four sides imo.

Kind regards,
Tang

TLi

May 27, 2016
They might have to design the integrated stand for the whole AF0 to rest upon. A multi-arm tt this size will be better off stand alone with accessibility to all four sides imo.

Kind regards,
Tang

I was told that an integrated stand is made by Artesania Audio in Spain.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing