Air Force Zero PRICE

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, maybe you are missing my point..
This particular turntable is going to be priced at a cost that equates to something that is far far more complex and costly to design and bring to market..while there is nothing wrong in that, i don’t think that it equates to the same value proposition. While that may be irrelevant to many, I still think that to try and equate the two items in this manner is not correct or accurate...maybe that’s just me?
Do I care, heck no, like I said before, if Nishikawa-San can make as many of these that he so chooses and sell them to his Far East clientele at any price he so deems, well then more power to him.

My point is simply that these development costs are spread out per unit built and sold. That also addresses Jeff's reply. In auto land 5000 units is considered a failure. In audio land, that is a miracle. Mark-up percentage always decreases with volume. The companies are not trying to keep prices low out of the goodness of their hearts, they are trying to optimize turnover and cashflow, thus sustainable profit. Even in car land we see cases where cars are priced ABOVE sticker if there is particularly strong demand for cars of limited availability.

I also agree with Micro about masterpieces. Only time will tell if any of these halo products will actually be appreciated and maybe later appreciate in value. If we could predict what would become "masterpieces" in time, boy, we could all afford stuff like these. It is also IMO an irrational market where just a handful of competing buyers made a Basquiat more expensive than a Van Gogh or Wu Tang Clan more expensive than the White Album owned by Ringo (or was it George?). What does remain fairly constant is that the limitations in supply are a driving factor of price not just at launch but also in the secondary or tertiary markets. It is also not limited to high ticket items. Ask anybody looking for a 16ohm original LS3/5a in mint condition or NOS tubes that could have been had for cents half a century ago.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying how it is. I just don't see it as being harmful to me or anybody else for as long as there is stuff in my price bracket that can satisfy me. It's not like some super wheat or super rice that somehow decimates crops and can only be afforded by the 1%. The first thing I wager would happen is the 1% getting lynched. There simply are no humanitarian consequences. Besides, many of the features tend to eventually trickle down by design or say when patents lapse. Case in point is the matrix structures by B&W.

I also take the same attitude towards first or business class passengers who pay double or triple of coach. They get a bit more comfort, some so-so wine, meals that are usually just edible, get out of the plane and get their baggage early but hey, they subsidize my coach ticket. More power to ya while I enjoy the sandwich I made at home. I make good sandwiches :D

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
And don’t forget bragging rights of having the best/most expensive in the world. Until someone else or more likely TechDas themselves ups the ante/price. And your state of the art piece becomes last years model !

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
One aspect of the audio market vs the car market is the dealer mark up. Car dealers are lucky to make 10%, most audio dealers are making 40%+.

True, although most car dealers make much of their money on service and repairs.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And don’t forget bragging rights of having the best/most expensive in the world. Until someone else or more likely TechDas themselves ups the ante/price. And your state of the art piece becomes last years model !

I cann say with all honesty that it didn't bother me :) I already had my AF1P. Jim wanted it and bought it. I've been happy with my original AF1 since then. It's still the same table. Profit went to more carts and LPs. :D

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just saw a leaked photo of AF0. It is a massive angry Hulk AF3 with the motor revealed before. The platter seems thicker than AS with different layers of materials. The whole platter, plinth, motor stand on a huge somewhat integrated three inches thick platform. The whole thing should be heavier than the AS if it is crafted out of billet. Super heavy mass seems to be the design philosophy. Hope they dont put fuzzy electronics into the design.

Tang

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Maybe two Stevie

Reactions: bonzo75

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just saw a leaked photo of AF0. It is a massive angry Hulk AF3 with the motor revealed before. The platter seems thicker than AS with different layers of materials. The whole platter, plinth, motor stand on a huge somewhat integrated three inches thick platform. The whole thing should be heavier than the AS if it is crafted out of billet. Super heavy mass seems to be the design philosophy. Hope they dont put fuzzy electronics into the design.

Tang

It is very interesting that some of David’s design philosophy seems to have seeped into the thinking about the Air Force Zero.

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is it just me, or does that look like three designers were involved, none of whom talked to the others.

I'm sorry, but visually, that's a miss
IMHO, YMMV, YYY (Yada Yada Yada).

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is it just me, or does that look like three designers were involved, none of whom talked to the others.

That’s just a working prototype not the final product.
david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Even the prototype fails LOL.

Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

You can place your order, they will probably add a fourth designer to get a visual aspect that will please you. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing