Maybe it's better not to know

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, the topic of what is best mostly just leads to some kind of disparity and disconnect whereas sharing music usually leads to connection and in unity. It is always music that ultimately brings us together. I would imagine Mike’s system would be kind of illuminating but it is in the experience of the music in his room that would be the essence of that illumination.

Good points! I have one audio buddy where we get together and virtually only listen to 70s prog rock and/or early electronica (love moog and early polyphonic synthesizers). Another mainly ECM jazz and others only classical of slightly less well known composers. We also share ideas on gear (one is a customer turned friend) but these sessions are often about the music.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Christian owns Wilson X2 and his original post referred to his speakers. It was a family reference ...

Doesn't make your statement any more valid...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From Roy Gregory this week:

"For me, the top tier is the exclusive preserve of Wilson’s WAMM Master Chronosonic and the Living Voice Vox Olympian/Vox Palladian ...possibly joined by Tidal’s La Assoluta .... Below that comes the second tier ... a group that includes the Wilson Alexx when paired with the Thor’s Hammer subs, Gryphon’s Kodo, the Rockport Arrakis (and quite possibly the new Lyra), the Tidal Akira, the Wilson Benesch Cardinal with a pair of Torus woofers and Focal’s Grande Utopia. ... Well, now we can add the Stenheim Reference Ultime to that group..."

I wouldn't agree with most of that list...

Presume for you it is Living Voice...any others? I have yet to hear Living Voice...being someone who loves Deep House Electronic thru to Hans Zimmer as well as intimate jazz, a capella, Choral, blues, etc...i do wonder about how well Living Voice does on deep house. At 105db sensitivity and a very heavy 250kg/speaker with solid dimensions (not to mention far larger dual subwoofers to go with them...although dimensions are unknown/not published?) I have to imagine the answer is 'very well'...any insight here?

Of this group, i have only heard the Arrakis, Focal Grande and the perhaps-somewhat-related-though-dwarfed-by-WAMM XLF, X2 and X1. I am a big fan of the X-Series and the Arrakis. I would guess if Roy likes the Genesis 1, he would add them to that first tier.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Doesn't make your statement any more valid...

I had the X2 in my room for a few months. Later I got the XLF and had a really great time with it until recently. IMHO there is a very large difference between them the XLF is much better in every sense. It is an opinion, not a statement. I have never listened to WAMM or VOX. Are you enlightened now? :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, the topic of what is best mostly just leads to some kind of disparity and disconnect whereas sharing music usually leads to connection and in unity. It is always music that ultimately brings us together. I would imagine Mike’s system would be kind of illuminating but it is in the experience of the music in his room that would be the essence of that illumination.

it is the shared experience of the music that brings Hi-Fi Guy to my place...….

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
All of the equipments mentioned in op are physically prohibiting to put in anyone system to demo or compare.
I am fortunate to be in touch with Mr.T and exchange audio info with him these days. His place is half an hour from me. At some point I will be visiting him to listen to his Living Voice setup. I also want to hear the sound of his Studer compare to mine. Even when you have the same gear you have to check if your own sound as good as it should.

Kind regards,
Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
All of the equipments mentioned in op are physically prohibiting to put in anyone system to demo or compare.
I am fortunate to be in touch with Mr.T and exchange audio info with him these days. His place is half an hour from me. At some point I will be visiting him to listen to his Living Voice setup. I also want to hear the sound of his Studer compare to mine. Even when you have the same gear you have to check if your own sound as good as it should.

Kind regards,
Tang

I hope the VOX don’t make you sad in the end....;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Committed suicide you mean. :rolleyes:

Tang

dear Tang,

likely more different than better/worse.

speakers do dominate our system preconceptions and expectations, but are simply enablers to the total room equation and signal path......both of which are just as key. your taste for the Kondo 'flavor' will be significant.

it's one thing to hear the VOX in Munich where no system is mature and speakers dominate, but in the context of other fully mature systems it's not as likely to jump out as singular. at the top of the room/system food chain there are simply so many variables.

just my 2 cents.

best regards,

Mike

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
I recently made the sojourn to Utah to hear the Master Chronosonics. Wilson demos them intentionally with "ordinary" electronics to demonstrate their majesty. While i completely agree with Mike, even not in a fully mature system, the last generation of Wamm is simply

on a different tier. The first track they played was just hard for me to believe that sound reproduction was capable of what I heard. I have heard the Codo drums in Japan and they are very impressive but i would recommend hearing them in Utah. It is a more compelling

experience. Not to say the MC does not have weaknesses,( it does) but my point in this post is simply to say that there is in fact a person who owns both the Master Chronosonic and the Vox.

So Tang, no need for suicide. Though The Master Chronosonic is amazing in many ways, I dont think a SET, horn guy could live with them in the setup i heard.

Just my one cent

Billy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I feel a bit bad for you that you can't seem to get a sound you are happy with.

Not to worry, I am good with it right now being crated up. I am in a transitional status right now, there are some changes coming soon and am way to busy for the next several months to deal with it.

May however have to go get a fix at Mikes place. Been waiting for the arrival of the AS2000!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The vast number of permutations and setup possibilities, along with the lack of endlessly disputed scientific rigor, make such comparisons vanity exercises and assertions of sound quality nothing more than fantasies or opinion bullying.

Shootouts fulfill some kind of primitive competitive need, like playing poker with your buddies, and if everybody doesn't take themselves too seriously, they can have a lot of fun.

Some of the frenzied manias with costly widgets don't sound like fun to me.

(Cjfrbw listening blissfully to First Watt M2 driving Frankenstein Stax headphones, and not haunted by the Vox Olympian at all)

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
dear Tang,

speakers do dominate our system preconceptions and expectations, but are simply enablers to the total room equation and signal path......both of which are just as key. your taste for the Kondo 'flavor' will be significant.

it's one thing to hear the VOX in Munich where no system is mature and speakers dominate, but in the context of other fully mature systems it's not as likely to jump out as singular. at the top of the room/system food chain there are simply so many variables.

just my 2 cents.

best regards,

Mike

Dear Mike,

I was just being sarcastic with my statement to Christian with a rolleye.

Mr.T was very nice and kind when he visited me. My visit to his place is to get acquainted with him. And Frankly I want to hear his system with A820/Doshi my specific agenda. I don’t really care for his Vox Olympian and WAMM. They are just happened to be there in the chain. I have pretty good info how these two speakers sound at his place already because he and I use the same tonearm guy. This guy goes in and out his room and mine almost every week. Nick Doshi and ddk also have heard both speakers (systems) because they went in to work in those rooms. I am much more interested in a vintage horns at much lower price point than the WAMM and Vox Olympian.

@Billygxx. I hope you enjoy your Aeries Cerat System as much as I enjoy my Cessaro. :)

Kindest regards,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The vast number of permutations and setup possibilities, along with the lack of endlessly disputed scientific rigor, make such comparisons vanity exercises and assertions of sound quality nothing more than fantasies or opinion bullying.

Shootouts fulfill some kind of primitive competitive need, like playing poker with your buddies, and if everybody doesn't take themselves too seriously, they can have a lot of fun. (...)

+1!

And unfortunately they can also be very misleading.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Kind regards,
Tang

Just out of curiosity, what electronics does he drive his LV system with?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
dear Tang,

just my 2 cents.

best regards,

Mike

The Munich system with full Vox Olympian /Elyssian + Kondo + Battery power system is pretty mature and it was very clear what the source and electronics bring to the quality and believability of the sound.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Shootouts fulfill some kind of primitive competitive need, like playing poker with your buddies, and if everybody doesn't take themselves too seriously, they can have a lot of fun.

Some of the frenzied manias with costly widgets don't sound like fun to me.

(Cjfrbw listening blissfully to First Watt M2 driving Frankenstein Stax headphones, and not haunted by the Vox Olympian at all)

No need to be haunted but once heard it can't be unheard...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Dear Mike,

I was just being sarcastic with my statement to Christian with a rolleye.

Mr.T was very nice and kind when he visited me. My visit to his place is to get acquainted with him. And Frankly I want to hear his system with A820/Doshi my specific agenda. I don’t really care for his Vox Olympian and WAMM. They are just happened to be there in the chain. I have pretty good info how these two speakers sound at his place already because he and I use the same tonearm guy. This guy goes in and out his room and mine almost every week. Nick Doshi and ddk also have heard both speakers (systems) because they went in to work in those rooms. I am much more interested in a vintage horns at much lower price point than the WAMM and Vox Olympian.

@Billygxx. I hope you enjoy your Aeries Cerat System as much as I enjoy my Cessaro. :)

Kindest regards,
Tang

Another system (Billy's) to die for :)!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing