Maybe it's better not to know

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There may also be disagreement about which has the SOTA sound and cabinet quality. I can see a case made for each speaker regarding the latter. No idea about the former and then it would so depend on set up.

You got my point Peter, SOTA is relative even at this level, if at all :)!

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You got my point Peter, SOTA is relative even at this level, if at all :)!

david

Sorry David I don’t think I did get your point because to me it is not clear what you mean. You wrote state of the art for sound or state of the art for tech and cabinetry. I take this to mean that you think the horn speaker is one and the Wilson is the other. I guess I was wrong about your view. Are you saying that either speaker can be considered for either? That is what I am saying Even though I have not heard either speaker so that should be qualified.

I might suggest that speaker cabinets by Rockport or the latest from Mágico might be contenders for cabinet SOTA. Regarding sound it is way too subjective. And then does it make sense for a speaker to be SOTA in sound and not have a darn good cabinet? It is a very interesting subject about which I know little.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I wasn't declaring any opinion about either speaker my point was that we haven't defined the parameters of SOTA in this thread, that was my only point. The follow up sentence was posing the question of what is SOTA and does anything besides sound quality like cabinetry or gadgetry qualify either of these speakers or any other as SOTA?

Sorry David I don’t think I did get your point because to me it is not clear what you mean. You wrote state of the art for sound or state of the art for tech and cabinetry. I take this to mean that you think the horn speaker is one and the Wilson is the other. I guess I was wrong about your view. Are you saying that either speaker can be considered for either? That is what I am saying Even though I have not heard either speaker so that should be qualified.

I might suggest that speaker cabinets by Rockport or the latest from Mágico might be contenders for cabinet SOTA. Regarding sound it is way too subjective. And then does it make sense for a speaker to be SOTA in sound and not have a darn good cabinet? It is a very interesting subject about which I know little.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing