Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Reference 3A Reflector monitors

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    People think mostly about vibration control and isolation - IMHO draining energy in the equipment and from the equipment is also the key in tuning a system.
    Sure, but I do think many times people want some vibration and the feedback loop created by vacuum tubes is one of the reasons people like tubes.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

I would like to add one more observation about the listening session at Al's house and I don't recall reading this in the review. The sweet spot with the Reflector speakers in the current configuration is very small. The center image falls apart pretty quickly as soon as you move to the side of the center listening seat. I wonder if this has something to do with the wave guide surrounding the tweeter, or the toe in angle as recommended by the manufacturer. I don't recall the sweet spot being quite as narrow with the lower model 3A monitors.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor [VIP/Donor]
    If the sweetspot was wider with the older speakers, it cannot have been by much. I believe that has to do with the speakers and the listener off the sweetspot being close to the side walls. In your room both speakers and off center listening spots are well away from side walls, and there is a wider range within which you have a recognizable center image.

Perhaps it is proximity to side walls, but it may also have to do with how close you sit to the speakers themselves. When in the left seat, you are quite close to the left speaker, so the listener gets a lot more direct sound from one speaker and more loudness than from the other speaker. So, you don't think it has to do with the tweeter wave guide, the dispersion pattern of the speakers or the degree of toe in?
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Peter, I am struggling to figure out whether you eventually really liked what you heard or not. You appear to be dancing around what you really think... Am I wrong?
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    Peter, I am struggling to figure out whether you eventually really liked what you heard or not. You appear to be dancing around what you really think... Am I wrong?
    Ack, I am sorry that you are struggling with anything that I have written on this thread. I did not mean to be vague with my impressions. Rather, I tried to be quite clear. I really liked the sound at the end which is as I remember from the last time I heard Al's system. And Al's wonderful review corresponds to the sound I heard once the footers were removed from under the amps. But those are just my impressions. Al and Madfloyd seem to have liked the sound with the new footers under the amp. Perhaps we should take this offline and discuss within our audio group.

I apologize to Al for taking the focus of this thread away from the content of his great review and toward my actual listening impressions from a couple of nights ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Perhaps it is proximity to side walls, but it may also have to do with how close you sit to the speakers themselves. When in the left seat, you are quite close to the left speaker, so the listener gets a lot more direct sound from one speaker and more loudness than from the other speaker.
    That's an excellent point, didn't think of that even though it should be obvious. When I sit off center in your room the speaker closer to me is still relatively far away.

So, you don't think it has to do with the tweeter wave guide, the dispersion pattern of the speakers or the degree of toe in?
    The effect of toe-in on center image from outside the sweetspot can be easily tested. I'll do that and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Ack, I am sorry that you are struggling with anything that I have written on this thread. I did not mean to be vague with my impressions. Rather, I tried to be quite clear. I really liked the sound at the end which is as I remember from the last time I heard Al's system.
    Yes, that was clear not just from what you told me, but also from what you wrote on the thread.

I apologize to Al for taking the focus of this thread away from the content of his great review and toward my actual listening impressions from a couple of nights ago.
    No problem, Peter. I made some more comparisons with and without footers yesterday and will open a new thread on this later today. In the meantime I hope the footer discussion can pause here until I open the new thread for it to continue there.

Al, while you are at it, might want to see how the Reflector's sound placed straight ahead- with no toe-in. I have found that in many cases in smaller rooms, this is the best set-up for stage width and depth. The sweetspot usually increases in this set up..although many times marginally.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Al, while you are at it, might want to see how the Reflector's sound placed straight ahead- with no toe-in. I have found that in many cases in smaller rooms, this is the best set-up for stage width and depth. The sweetspot usually increases in this set up..although many times marginally.
    Sure will do, thanks for the suggestion, Davey. A while ago I thought the strong toe-in was necessary to get the best result, but with my acoustic improvements more recently I found that requirements relax a bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast