American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I'm not quite sure what to make of this. :)

I meant in a good way Ian. To me You are always honest to yourself in what you hear when there is a change in your system. Several times I read your comments questioning your own hearing especially when you haven’t absorbed the new sound for longer period of time. Is it better or is it just different or is it just psychological. We are obviously different from Bonzo who has a few hours of listening and can give rating to a gear :p.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Marc Gomez likes Lyra cart on his arm. So I put the Etna Mono on one of them. Who said you have to have a mono setup and use only Zero to sound excellent.

E37ADC8B-6651-4583-AE1C-F86E0677C81F.jpg
BC6D903E-CE87-4387-B567-C76C4FA2E3E4.jpg

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, to compare Lyra mono, zero mono, and EMT mono, you need to have original mono recordings, which were made in the era of mono (not monos made in the era of stereo). In the 50s, and early 60s.

Since you have the EMT, you can play them through mono switch, or if you have a Miyajima step up, then use step up to play through stereo switch. Do various mono cart compares with combinations of the mono switch on and off. And compare with a stereo cart playing mono.

I haven't done these, but with an EMT phono, you can. The technical reason given on forums is that Miyajima mono has no vertical compliance and tracks horizontally while dual coil monos like Lyra which sum up have vertical compliance too. Whether the technical reason is right or not can be verified only in listening.

Michael Fremer, Art Dudley, Jacob helibrunn seem to be recommending the Miyajima mono. There is also the EMT- the older OFD 25, the newer TMD 25, and there is the Clement from France. All of these are quite low priced. One day I would like to try out all.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Actually, to compare Lyra mono, zero mono, and EMT mono, you need to have original mono recordings, which were made in the era of mono (not monos made in the era of stereo). In the 50s, especially early 50s.

Since you have the EMT, you can play them through mono switch, or if you have a Miyajima step up, then use step up to play through stereo switch. Do various mono cart compares with combinations of the mono switch on and off. And compare with a stereo cart playing mono.

I haven't done these, but with an EMT phono, you can. The technical reason given on forums is that Miyajima mono has no vertical compliance and tracks horizontally while dual coil monos like Lyra which sum up have vertical compliance too. Whether the technical reason is right or not can be verified only in listening.

Michael Fremer, Art Dudley, Jacob helibrunn seem to be recommending the Miyajima mono. There is also the EMT- the older OFD 25, the newer TMD 25, and there is the Clement from France. All of these are quite low priced. One day I would like to try out all.

You give me a headache.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Marc Gomez likes Lyra cart on his arm. So I put the Etna Mono on one of them. Who said you have to have a mono setup and use only Zero to sound excellent.

View attachment 43311

Tang

Tang, which leather mat is that on top of the platter?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Actually, to compare Lyra mono, zero mono, and EMT mono, you need to have original mono recordings, which were made in the era of mono (not monos made in the era of stereo). In the 50s, and early 60s.

The Miyajima is excellent as are all the other ones you mention, the Ortofon mono SPUs sound fantastic too for a nominal investment. I understand the technical reasons for using a pure mono cartridge but in practice the dual coil monos also deliver the goods, in fact they’re mostly hindered by the playback chain rather than any technical disadvantage.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Miyajima is excellent as are all the other ones you mention, the Ortofon mono SPUs sound fantastic too for a nominal investment. I understand the technical reasons for using a pure mono cartridge but in practice the dual coil monos also deliver the goods, in fact they’re mostly hindered by the playback chain rather than any technical disadvantage.

david

Thanks, is that even with old recordings - the logic for the horizontal only compliance ones is that they are quieter (something needed for older recordings)..

A record collector who recently sold off his stereo recordings was recommending vintage ortofon mono with type A and G headshells... never tried.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, is that even with old recordings - the logic for the horizontal only compliance ones is that they are quieter (something needed for older recordings)..

A record collector who recently sold off his stereo recordings was recommending vintage ortofon mono with type A and G headshells... never tried.

the Miyajima Premium Be mono I have certainly bypasses pressing noise my stereo carts pick up. some pretty hammered looking old mono Lps many times shine on the Miyajima when I did not expect it. I only have about 350-400 vintage mono pressings, but I see this a lot.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I have mostly vintage mono pressings very few new ones. The vintage Ortofons are great, in mono or stereo :)!

We have to define this noise and what does quieter mean, is there audible noise that they’re hearing? Are we including shellac?

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
the Miyajima Premium Be mono I have certainly bypasses pressing noise my stereo carts pick up. some pretty hammered looking old mono Lps many times shine on the Miyajima when I did not expect it. I only have about 350-400 vintage mono pressings, but I see this a lot.
Lucky! Getting harder to find monos these days.
david

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Tang, I don't think we've ever seen that view before. For goodness sake man, now it's obvious there's space for another turntable! What's holding you back? Why stop at 4? Seems you need a nice straight arm to round out the collection!!

4th table.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have mostly vintage mono pressings very few new ones. The vintage Ortofons are great, in mono or stereo :)!

We have to define this noise and what does quieter mean, is there audible noise that they’re hearing? Are we including shellac?

david

Audible noise due to recordings being beaten up. No shellac. Guess you will need the EMT ofd 65 for that one

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Tang, I don't think we've ever seen that view before. For goodness sake man, now it's obvious there's space for another turntable! What's holding you back? Why stop at 4? Seems you need a nice straight arm to round out the collection!!

View attachment 43312

Yes, Tang, you don't want to be a slacker.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

View attachment 43312

Lol awesome putting that thing in

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Audible noise due to recordings being beaten up. No shellac. Guess you will need the EMT ofd 65 for that one
Because the noise in shellac has to do with the fillers they used too.

Hard to know Ked I guess it depends on how beat up the record is. I can’t say if a pure mono design is advantageous or not all I can tell you is that the Miyajima is fantastic and I enjoy a bunch of others too.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Because the noise in shellac has to do with the fillers they used too.

Hard to know Ked I guess it depends on how beat up the record is. I can’t say if a pure mono design is advantageous or not all I can tell you is that the Miyajima is fantastic and I enjoy a bunch of others too.

david

The lamm has a mono switch? And does LP2 have it too?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Lucky! Getting harder to find monos these days.
david

10 years ago I lucked into a collection with many of these, particularly the classical ones. most of the jazz mono's I purchased individually.

I was disappointed looking that collection over with these older pressings, then on the cleaning and playing I was pleasantly surprised. I became bolder on buying marginal looking Jazz mono pressings as mostly they turned out acceptable with the Miyajima mono. sometimes the seller rated it as noisy, but it was not.

probably not bought any for 7-8 years now.

Reactions: HORTON

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing