American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What are the frequency ranges for the various horns in the crossover?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don’t really know the spec. Never asked the designer. Only know it is 30 - 45,000Hz. The website also doesn’t tell much.

https://www.cessaro.de/products/gamma-ii/

Kind regards,
Tang

Do you know if the low-mid section is filtered in the bass? It seemed to me the sub is an integral part of the design , not an optional add-on.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Do you know if the low-mid section is filtered in the bass? It seemed to me the sub is an integral part of the design , not an optional add-on.

No it's not filtered in the bass. It start's working from around 110hz due to it's size (103cm horn). That's what the designer told me in Munich.
So you are right, the bass section (not really a sub) is an integral part of the design.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just received a new concave top platter, more 3012R’s, a thinner leather mat and a few arm posts. The sme’s are doing great on the AS2000. My 2 SAT’s will move back to the AF1P and Kronos.

E4222D3B-EA6C-4DA2-A515-AF835E4D6A9F.jpg

Tang

Last edited:

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
which turntable is platter for Tang
Do you have the titanium platter for the airforce 1
Just received a new convex top platter, more 3012R’s, a thinner leather mat and a few arm posts. The sme’s are doing great on the AS2000. My 2 SAT’s will move back to the AF1P and Kronos.

View attachment 43823

Tang

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Tang, from the pic the platform looks like overpumped. It should float some 3-5mm above the crate surface.

Cheers,

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
which turntable is platter for Tang
Do you have the titanium platter for the airforce 1

It is AS2000 thread :)! The new platter design is an upgrade we’ve been working on for a while and will be supplied to everyone free of charge to all owners over the next 2-3 weeks.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, from the pic the platform looks like overpumped. It should float some 3-5mm above the crate surface.

Cheers,

Thank you Jarek. I was a little too pumped up :eek:.

@Gardener. Yes I have the titanium platter for the Techdas.

@ddk. I have been getting too many things for free from you.

Tang

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
For whatever reason our customers tend to pump the platforms immediately to its max of 5 bar. This is a wrong approach - unlike with the quality mass, more is not better here :) Actually the less pressure the better (for most of the equipment), but then comes in the balance with a more frequent need to correct the pressure. A 3-5mm elevation seems like a good all round optimum. In any case, there is also 10mm max elevation restriction which must be also respected.

Cheers,

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
For whatever reason our customers tend to pump the platforms immediately to its max of 5 bar. This is a wrong approach - unlike with the quality mass, more is not better here :) Actually the less pressure the better (for most of the equipment), but then comes in the balance with a more frequent need to correct the pressure. A 3-5mm elevation seems like a good all round optimum. In any case, there is also 10mm max elevation restriction which must be also respected.

Cheers,

Because with 3-5 mm. It feels like having a wimpy flat tire :p. And maybe your pressure gauge should have only 5 bar max instead of 10.

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And this is exactly how it should feel :p I can only prey you did not pump till 10bar...

Most small compressors can not go over 8 bar - they have safety valves that actuate if pressure for any reason go over this value!

Can we risk there is a confusion between PSI , bar and decimal points?

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
I hope this reply works

David you used to like your AF1 in the old days?

Don't you miss the vacuum hold down on your new turntable( which I think looks great)

I have many very old records that have some warp

Are there any owners of the AS2000 in the UK

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is AS2000 thread :)! The new platter design is an upgrade we’ve been working on for a while and will be supplied to everyone free of charge to all owners over the next 2-3 weeks.

david

David, Could you explain what the new concave platter achieves over the old design and what the sonic differences are, if any?

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Most small compressors can not go over 8 bar - they have safety valves that actuate if pressure for any reason go over this value!

Can we risk there is a confusion between PSI , bar and decimal points?

IIRC Tang's manometer is up to 6 bar only and bar scale only (our current manometer model). Difficult to confuse PSI (which go into 60-80) with bar (3-4-5).
Anyway, I always recommend looking at the platform elevation and then noticing the pressure for a future reference, and NOT pumping straight away to 5 bar max :)

Cheers,

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
IIRC Tang's manometer is up to 6 bar only and bar scale only (our current manometer model). Difficult to confuse PSI (which go into 60-80) with bar (3-4-5).
Anyway, I always recommend looking at the platform elevation and then noticing the pressure for a future reference, and NOT pumping straight away to 5 bar max :)

Cheers,

Ah, I did not know the relationship between bar and PSI. Thanks for that. I set my three Vibraplanes at 80 PSI. I can also adjust the height independently. I made a wooden block of a particular height to quickly, and repeatedly confirm that the corners of the platform are always at that height. I use a round bubble level to confirm that my turntable platter is level for that particular unit. The ones under my amps don't need to be confirmed as much because they never move, so the pressure never changes. I remove and then replace a heavy plexiglass turntable cover everyday, so that puts pressure on that Vibraplane on a regular basis, so that unit needs to be checked more often. I suspect the Stacore platforms are more robust in this sense and need adjustment less frequently. But I agree, the pressure is pretty low, like a softly inflated tire. It sounds best this way.

Sorry, I just realized this is not the Stacore thread on isolation, but the AS2000. Back on topic.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I hope this reply works

David you used to like your AF1 in the old days?

Don't you miss the vacuum hold down on your new turntable( which I think looks great)

I have many very old records that have some warp

Are there any owners of the AS2000 in the UK

i have other turntables with and without vacuum hold down and I like them all, it’s not a make or break feature for me and a little warp was never an issue. Vacuum hold down is another way of dampening the playback system and how it performs depends on the turntable and platter construction so it’s not always a good thing.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, Could you explain what the new concave platter achieves over the old design and what the sonic differences are, if any?
The very mild concave shape helps with the record coupling more with the platter and solid mass underneath. It results in a slightly more natural and focused sound.

david

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sounds like it's convex, not concave? How would concave improve the coupling?

Definition-of-concave-versus-convex-1.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing