American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The lamm has a mono switch? And does LP2 have it too?

mono switches suck...the sum both channels and dull the sound. I would rather hear both mono channels coming through the pre in stereo (two channel mono)...not summed. It's still mono sound without the summing.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
mono switches suck...the sum both channels and dull the sound. I would rather hear both mono channels coming through the pre in stereo (two channel mono)...not summed. It's still mono sound without the summing.

So you play with your mono cart into a stereo phono?

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

But some mono carts cause hum when not using the mono switch. What mono carts do you have?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
So you play with your mono cart into a stereo phono?

But some mono carts cause hum when not using the mono switch. What mono carts do you have?

You don't need a mono switch to use mono cartridges!

Depending on the cartridge some monos output two channels instead of one, there's no hum issues there. You can use the mute switch if you want the sound from only one speaker.

With single channel output mono cartridges there can be a hum from the empty channel you don't need extra switches and circuitry to deal with this issue you can;

- Mute the noisy channel.
- Not connect the empty channel to your phono, typically it's the Left channel.
- Use a Y connector from the signal side, typically the Right side to the L & R inputs this way you have playback from both speakers if that's what one wants.

david

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, I don't think we've ever seen that view before. For goodness sake man, now it's obvious there's space for another turntable! What's holding you back? Why stop at 4? Seems you need a nice straight arm to round out the collection!!

View attachment 43312

I was just glancing through this thread and broke a smile seeing the espresso machine in my room..lol.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have not found hum at all from my Etana mono going to stereo input of EMT phono, no mono switch used. I have less than 100 mono pressings of old and new so not much experience to be conclusive yet. From what Christian and David said, Mr. Bonzo probably will make a dozen more trips to reconfirm his conclusion.

Mr.Bonzo you take so many steps to enjoy mono, I wonder how many steps you go through to take a ****. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
...Mr.Bonzo you take so many steps to enjoy mono, I wonder how many steps you go through to take a ****. ;)

Kind regards,
Tang

;););) LOL! Don't forget it's your AS-2000 thread Tang!

david

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I listen to my Miyajima Zero through a stereo phono pre and it sound wonderful.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, which leather mat is that on top of the platter?

Hello Ack,

It just came with the tt. No special brand.

Kind regards,
Tang

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
You don't need a mono switch to use mono cartridges!

Depending on the cartridge some monos output two channels instead of one, there's no hum issues there. You can use the mute switch if you want the sound from only one speaker.

With single channel output mono cartridges there can be a hum from the empty channel you don't need extra switches and circuitry to deal with this issue you can;

- Mute the noisy channel.
- Not connect the empty channel to your phono, typically it's the Left channel.
- Use a Y connector from the signal side, typically the Right side to the L & R inputs this way you have playback from both speakers if that's what one wants.

david

With one of my phonostages my Ortofon Cadenza Mono will hum, with a different phono it doesn't. Neither have a mono switch.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
With so many records and tapes and other stuff in the room, the room acoustic must be very natural.

Tang :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
+1

Dear Tang, If you can see it, then you can order it!

Dear Ron,

Since ddk came, I now enjoy and have fun fine tuning my cart setup. The tonearm guy still do the initial set up but I now do the rest to get the sound I prefer. Not really thinking new tt right now. Just to optimize each of my setups. Yesterday, I finished fine tuning my SAT/GFS setup. Now the sound is as involing as the Opu/SME set up but differ in flavor and presentation.

I find having multiple arms carts in my system very advantageous when fine tuning cart. When I can hear something from armcart combo1 but don’t hear that in combo2, I could keep finetuning combo2 until I get that or if I don’t at least I how where to approach to and know if the combo2 just don’t have it.
Anyhow I get to know my arm cart more than people who dont have multiple arms carts like me.

Btw, wonderful family portrait Ron. Best gift a man can get for BD present.

Kind regrds,
Tang :)

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@Tang
finetuning Carts and Arms is so much fun :)
But you are 100% right, after a while even a vdh colibri can sound similar to a Koetsu stone body in the same tonearm, as you know, how to tweak....
If people are visiting my analog set up, at the end they are listening to my "house sound", as I adjust any Cart/Arm combination according to my "taste",
which is mostly more on the fluid and involving side, lesser on the pure maximization of information side.

Reactions: Springcreek

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@Tang
finetuning Carts and Arms is so much fun :)
But you are 100% right, after a while even a vdh colibri can sound similar to a Koetsu stone body in the same tonearm, as you know, how to tweak....
If people are visiting my analog set up, at the end they are listening to my "house sound", as I adjust any Cart/Arm combination according to my "taste",
which is mostly more on the fluid and involving side, lesser on the pure maximization of information side.

Same here. I go for music “speaks” to me first. Then I look for maximizing other hifi aspects that the arm cart have in them.

Best regards,
Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Same here. I go for music “speaks” to me first. Then I look for maximizing other hifi aspects that the arm cart have in them.

Best regards,
Tang

Tango, have you found that increasing resolution by fine tuning your arm/cartridges ever leads to less emotional involvement and connection to the music? I'm not talking about increasing distortion through VTA for the impression of more detail, I'm talking about true resolution, getting more of the information that is in the grooves.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing