Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sean Casey Shows New Zu Audio Druid Mk. VI in California

Anyone know why they called the company Zu Cable? I am not a cable denier, but I don't get my jollies from cables either. I think I missed them in some RMAFs because the called themselves Zu Cables. Kind of puzzling, considering their astute business strategy.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Caesar, "Cable" because they started off purely as a cable company, and then branched into spkrs (And thence to pick-up carts too).
    "Zu" because they wanted a talking point, debate on pronunciation etc.

Tao, I've always been reluctant to run parallel gear, feeling one setup should do it all, or close to it.
    But I can't deny the logic of yr suggestion.
    There is no reason why my Nat SETs shouldn't major on full transparency, but it may be the ultra quiet and linear SS amp that synergises best w the Zus for acoustic music.
    My second opinion from guest is just a few weeks out, he'll confirm or contradict my current take on things.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Tao, I've always been reluctant to run parallel gear, feeling one setup should do it all, or close to it.
    There is no reason why my Nat SETs shouldn't major on full transparency, but it may be the ultra quiet and linear SS amp that synergises best w the Zus for acoustic music.
    My second opinion from guest is just a few weeks out, he'll confirm or contradict my current take on things.

Mystery Guest: "It's scheiss, all scheiss, I say!" Camera cut stage center to Marc, cringing and weeping on his knees and begging for mercy.
    Last edited by cjfrbw; 08-10-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    SME 30/2 Turntable, Da Vinci Grandezza Tonearm, Benz MC-3 Cartridge, Allnic HT 3000 head amp, Allnic H-3000 Phono, Allnic L 5000 preamp, Accuphase F 25, Analysis Audio Epsilon Speaker/foil tweeters in four way active crossover Amplification: Sony TAN 8550 VFET amp (26 DHT preamp driver)350-7000hz, Yamaha B-2 VFET amplifier (26 DHT preamp driver)80-350hz , 45 SET tube amp 7000Hz to infinity Hz, Yamaha RX Z9 plus Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000 preamp processor 9.4 surround sound.

CJ, there's an avant garde theatrical piece here, just no-one will pay good money to watch it LOL.
    I'm bullish about my sound, but also self analytical to realise where I could be coming up short.
    My friend (Blue58) of SGM server and AG Duos fame has a fantastically transparent and open sound, he's the perfect judge to give me perspective.
    He's already once given me the thumbs down when he first heard it, and has upped his approval on subsequent visits. His opinion this time I'm most interested in.

Caesar, "Cable" because they started off purely as a cable company, and then branched into spkrs (And thence to pick-up carts too).
    "Zu" because they wanted a talking point, debate on pronunciation etc.
    Thanks. Interesting they didn't start out with speakers, considering they have achieved a cult following.

Much better than my earlier buy a pair of Apogees as well and steal a room from the missus to get both sides of an equation... a thought that just does not really add up. CJ’s suggestion of what the Pass may bring is clearly potentially a much more elegant and efficient solution to adding some flexibility to make living with one pair of speakers possible.

Nearly every setup is some kind of compromise so the notion that any one system can indeed do it all for us is the kind of convenient delusion that what is close can be the one true destination. Going via the Pass might be a lovely detour whenever you need to appreciate something else along the way. I do believe that all we have is the way rather than any absolutes like destinations.
    Magnepan 20.7 - Shindo - Sanders - Sotm Ultra - Chord - Shunyata Cyclops & Z Anaconda and Python PCs - Wireworld Platinum Eclipse SCs, ICs, USB, jumpers - Stillpoint Ultra 5s throughout the system.

Oh, Apogees still cross thoughts.
    Like when a man dying of thirst in the desert hallucinates about mirages and clear spring water LOL.
    I am confident that a pair of modded Duettas off high current high power bulletproof SS would fit my room v well. Abducting the main space for my selfish ends is never going to happen.

So it would be ironic if I went for these low/medium power SS amps Pass XA25 on new Zus, and for the same outlay didn't go modded Apogees and higher power Pass or other SS.

Gentlemen,
    So is this single driver really a woofer? and how does it manage to re-create everything up to 10, 11 kHz?

And what is this Griewe business? How does a motorcycle exhaust technology transfer to spellbinding high end audio? And how does it enhance channelling emotion from recording to human, and completely engrossing the human into the musical experience, where all time falls away and one is enjoying music for its own sake? Does anyone understand and can explain in plain English?

Caesar, I can't answer your qs, sorry.
    Maybe an email to Sean, or his able deputy Gerrit, will get some answers.
    There are disadvantages to boosting a mids driver to cover upper bass-mids-lower treble, including the potential of stridency where mids normally cross over to highs, ie in the 7-12kHz region, and I'm certain this contributes to the main weakness of the Zu presentation, namely some grittiness or lack of smoothness in this region.
    It may be that the new driver has ameliorated this, certainly Ron feels the roughness he heard in my room is not replicated on the new Druid VI.
    Re Griewe loading, I believe it's a variation of porting where energy is used to boost bass performance and dynamics, getting a putative mids/upper bass driver to eek out extension to under 40Hz in room, where a normal 10" mid driver might only bottom out at 50Hz.
    And to get sub 40Hz to be agile and extended, not just a simple spec.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234