Zero Distortion: Allnic, Aesthetix, Magic Q7 mk2, Alieno, loads of carts, Vyger, Kodo Beat

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A massive room houses Magico Q7 mk2 with a stack of 6 REL subs driven by Alieno OTL (I have previously heard the Alieno with the M3 and compared it to Dagostino with a Feickert Firebird, but will wait to write more on details as I will get a further compare of the amps with that owner’s Techdas Af3 premium and Lampi Pacific).

J's preamp is the NAT Magnetostat, which J moved on to from the Allnic L5000. He also has the Berning and the Veloce preamps, and we did briefly compare the NAT to the Dartzeel as a preamp (I have previously*had*the NAT Magnetostat SE*on audition in my home system next to a Jadis pre).

Given the amount of gear, I paid J two visits, and spent two full days with changes made to the set up. I am posting this write-up as Day 1 and Day 2. The findings on Day 1 did change to Day 2.*

A long read, but it gets much better on Day 2 as compared to Day 1.*

The analog that we were able to compare was:

1. Kodo Beat (modded) and Vyger Indian Signature (modded)
  2. Aesthetix IO Eclipse, Allnic H5000, and the Dartzeel phonos
  3. Kiseki Purple Heart, Airtight Supreme, Allnic Puritas, Lyra Atlas, vDH Stradivarius, Benz LPS, and Zyx Omega carts

http://zero-distortion.org/allnic-aesthetix-io-dartzeel-kodo-beat-vyger-indian-signature-kiseki/

Attachments

• Magico Q7mk2.jpg
    Magico Q7mk2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 354
  • Modded Vyger.JPG
    Modded Vyger.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Kodo.JPG
    Kodo.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Phono gear.jpg
    Phono gear.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 351
  • daad room.JPG
    daad room.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 353

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff!!! (link not working?)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ha! He has the Schwarznegger devices!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What an amazing listening room!

Was there any discussion of why he chose a “six pack” of RELs rather than Magico subwoofers?

And Alieno appears again!

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Wow, those are some really long tone arms. And I've never seen such large speakers so close together. I look forward to reading your comments.

Concur....speakers appear to be way to close to one another....
Cheers...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok guys link working now

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kedar, this was as always a very interesting and informative (and breathless!) comparison.

What do you make of the fact that, according to this report anyway, changing tubes can flip preferences on major components (and major combinations of components)? I find this disturbing.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Quite a job there keeping track of the many different combinations with changes. Very interesting about the modified Vyger having no air pump, vacuum hold-down.

As a writer, would you help me out with your use of the word 'flow'? Could you say an antonym and other words (besides 'pace') to help with what it means for you.

Was that a 3 box IO Eclipse ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, this was as always a very interesting and informative (and breathless!) comparison.

What do you make of the fact that, according to this report anyway, changing tubes can flip preferences on major components (and major combinations of components)? I find this disturbing.

It is not exactly changing with different tubes. One of the tubes is lower quality, and with that the quality of the system is dropping. With all the three other tubes, preferences will likely be the same except for adjusting for some artefact like thick midrange etc. Once we swapped VTLs with MSB 204 on TADs. Analog compare was Schroeder CB with MSL Eminent Ultra and Kuzma with GFS - as we changed amps, differences between the two arm-cart combos changed. It's similar

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Tang just misspelled it. ... Schnerzinger

I think his pun was intentional - especially given how Vyger and REL stack look - or maybe I credit him with being smarter than he is

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Quite a job there keeping track of the many different combinations with changes. Very interesting about the modified Vyger having no air pump, vacuum hold-down.

As a writer, would you help me out with your use of the word 'flow'? Could you say an antonym and other words (besides 'pace') to help with what it means for you.

Was that a 3 box IO Eclipse ?

Yes on 3 box Eclipse - will update my report to mention that. Opposite of flow is music coming in a stop start fashion. Think of a good LP vs a bad CD. Good SET horn systems have the highest flow (for some readers, IMO, but IMO fact :))

Keeping track is easy if the changes are obvious, e,g. if you are with Lyra on Allnic, next is Lyra on Aesthetix. Not arbitrarily playing something else on the other table through another phono. Also it reads tougher, because you guys have to visualize what I could see in front of me.

The modded Vyger is one of the earlier Vyger versions.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is not exactly changing with different tubes. One of the tubes is lower quality, and with that the quality of the system is dropping. With all the three other tubes, preferences will likely be the same except for adjusting for some artefact like thick midrange etc. Once we swapped VTLs with MSB 204 on TADs. Analog compare was Schroeder CB with MSL Eminent Ultra and Kuzma with GFS - as we changed amps, differences between the two arm-cart combos changed. It's similar

I’m a little confused. In your report it seemed like tube rolling switched component preferences, and combinations of component preferences. It makes more sense to me that rolling tubes in amplifiers, and then swapping amplifiers, should result in bigger sonic differences then tube rolling within a single amplifier.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think his pun was intentional - especially given how Vyger and REL stack look - or maybe I credit him with being smarter than he is
My money is on Tang being funny to. He always is. Keep them coming Tang !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing