The Basis Superarm...not to be confused with---

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The arm that I happen to believe is currently the most resolving arm I have ever heard, is called the Basis Superarm 9. Since there is considerable interest in tonearms on this forum, and the fact that so many are so enamored of one arm in particular, that being the SME 3012R; I thought a more modern alternative might be of interest. Unfortunately, the Basis Superarm is priced at a cost that is more commensurate with its design and current competition.
There are two versions available of this arm...the Superarm 9 and the latest-Superarm 12.5. Each of these arms was designed by AJ Conti before he passed and took him several years to bring to fruition. Having heard many of the competing arms on the market, including the more expensive SAT and the various SME's and others, I think this arm is at the top of the heap. For those who are looking to try a new arm...and have the budget, I would put this design on my very short list.

Here's a link: https://www.basisaudio.com/super-arm-9/

If you like increased resolution and precise and superb imaging, check it out.:D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Guess I have to ask...has anybody, besides me, actually heard the new Basis Superarm 9 or 12.5??

I have heard the Superarm 9 several times on the Inspiration and on the Work of Art.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think it is a great tonearm but nothing intelligent can be said about it in comparison to the 3012R, so I don’t know why you keep fishing on this subject.

Have you auditioned a Superarm 9 and a 3012R on the same turntable, with the same cartridge on each tonearm, and with each cartridge aligned by the same person?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think it is a great tonearm but nothing intelligent can be said about it in comparison to the 3012R, so I don’t know why you keep fishing on this subject.

Have you auditioned a Superarm 9 and a 3012R on the same turntable, with the same cartridge on each tonearm, and with each cartridge aligned by the same person?

Not sure i asked you to compare the SME arm to the Basis arm??

Having owned the SME in the past, I personally think that the Basis arm is in a totally different league, but yes, you are right...auditioning both for a valid AB would be extremely difficult--to say the least

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guess I have to ask...has anybody, besides me, actually heard the new Basis Superarm 9 or 12.5??

Gian will soon install the basis 9 on his AF3 premium

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have superarm 9 in his box
Wayting AF3P that will arrive I think end is August
They delay from may to early September I hope
I am very curious to listen it on AF3P and in comparison with Vyger

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I Love my Super Arm 9, it replaced the Vector 4. Miss my talks with A.J.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I met AJ Conti once and he showed me his latest projects in the back room. One was an extremely long, perhaps 16" arm that he was working on. I have not heard the SuperArm 9. Is it a uni-pivot like his other designs? Some find fault with uni-pivot arms unless they are well stabilized like the Graham or Durand with magnets or heavy damping. Ack wrote about the experiments with and modifications to his VPI uni-pivot arm. How did AJ address this issue with his new arm?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The arm that I happen to believe is currently the most resolving arm I have ever heard, is called the Basis Superarm 9. Since there is considerable interest in tonearms on this forum, and the fact that so many are so enamored of one arm in particular, that being the SME 3012R; I thought a more modern alternative might be of interest. Unfortunately, the Basis Superarm is priced at a cost that is more commensurate with its design and current competition.
There are two versions available of this arm...the Superarm 9 and the latest-Superarm 12.5. Each of these arms was designed by AJ Conti before he passed and took him several years to bring to fruition. Having heard many of the competing arms on the market, including the more expensive SAT and the various SME's and others, I think this arm is at the top of the heap. For those who are looking to try a new arm...and have the budget, I would put this design on my very short list.

Here's a link: https://www.basisaudio.com/super-arm-9/

If you like increased resolution and precise and superb imaging, check it out.:D

I had a long conversation with the local dealer a couple of weekends ago about it, the 12, and the Transcendence and Inspiration tables plus accessories. I am due to audition them in the coming weeks and will report back.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I had a long conversation with the local dealer a couple of weekends ago about it, the 12, and the Transcendence and Inspiration tables plus accessories. I am due to audition them in the coming weeks and will report back.

I know you are in for a treat. Pocket book...not so much!:D

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have superarm 9 but never compared or listen Aquilar
But I can tell that I find SA9 the best traditional arm I had or I listen

Reactions: Ron Resnick

directdriver

Jul 1, 2011
"Some find fault with uni-pivot arms unless they are well stabilized like the Graham or Durand with magnets or heavy damping... How did AJ address this issue with his new arm?"

The Superarm or Vector has a secondary bearing. It's a ball bearing wrap around a spike so the arm can lean on that ball bearing. Majority of the mass rests on the spike while the offset counterweight, hollowed on one side, forces the arm to lean on one side so it makes contact on the ball bearing. Basically it has TWO contact points so it's no longer your father's old unipivot anymore. Strictly speaking, it doesn't qualify to be a unipivot anymore. One can even called it dual-pivot. The creativity in unipivot designs is indeed in finding ways to stabilize the azimuth wobble. The design is ingenious, simple and elegant. It belongs to a genre of unipivot with secondary bearing that does NOT have the azimuth rocking. Similar designs can be found in the Continuum Cobra/Copperhead, Graham Phantom, Durand Telos, Simon Yorke, ProJect Signature, et al. In this YouTube video, you can see how the bearing system works. No, I do not own a Superarm so I can't tell you how it sounds. I just like studying tonearm designs for fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing