What are some of the best single driver to listen to

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Looking for suggestions of best single driver full range (or ones with subs if really necessary) system to listen to. I have tried Voxativ Ampeggio and do not feel I can live with it long term for all types of music. Tried AER driver based but not in full range, and again, while I appreciate many of the attributes, I cannot feel I can live with it long term (on the bright and hard side).

This may be more of a quest if I can find a full range or semi-full range with subs for the lowest octave I can live with. I find myself quite sensitive to the crossover points regardless of slopes in multi driver designs lately. To put bluntly, I want the iphone speaker sound but with more refinement and full range :). All suggestions welcomed. Ddk’s unobtanium Siemens is out of the question though.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I can't relate to your Iphone analogy, however check out the Pnoe by Arcadia.
Possibly a little better than an iphone speaker

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Depending on your listening levels you might like the Decware Model FRX2 . Also the Rullit speaker drivers may work for you. Here's a guy I've chatted with but sadly have not got to hear his...

I think the reality is fullrangers are not that great. But I know what you mean about "crossovers". I don't necessarily think the problem is the crossover, but many speakers sound torn between the tweeter and lower drivers... (this isn't easy to know about unless you've clearly heard without it). There are not a lot of speakers that can avoid it. I'm working on one, and it does well, but it isn't accomplished through simple means.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
@infinitely - thanks, I will check out the Pnoe. It seems to be using AER driver.

@Folsom - thanks for your suggestions. Can you share more about your work? PM works as well.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'd check out the Omega models with the Alnico 6.5" driver.

I've heard AER, Feastrex, Vox, etc. and the Omegas are up there with any of them, although all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I have a speaker I plan on bringing to market that uses a custom Omega 4.5" driver from 400-15000 Hz in a LeCleach horn combined with a woofer and supertweeter... what I'd say is there are no perfect single drivers, if you want a truly full-range sound you need to use a tweeter and woofer. Full range drivers avoid some issues, like xo and the dissimilar sound between tweeters and midrange drivers that is so prevalent. But they can introduce others like uneven high frequency response, limited SPL capabilities and disturbing peaks in the mid-high frequency ranges... some have even worse issues as well.

In any case, a sub + single driver can cover up to ~15 kHz fairly well, then you really need a super tweeter to complete the range. Fostex T500AMkII is the best I've used yet. I'd also recommend a sub that can cover up to ~200 Hz with the Omega Alnicos or similar drivers combined with a high quality capacitor to block the bass going to the full range driver. I use Clarity ESA + Jupiter copper foil as a bypass. Doing something like this will get you the positive aspects of full rangers with full frequency extension and much higher SPL capabilities. The overall characteristics of the speaker are still mostly defined by the full range driver so it is still very important and there aren't many good full rangers in existence imo. AER, Feastrex and Omega are the best I've experienced so far.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Looking for suggestions of best single driver full range (or ones with subs if really necessary) system to listen to. I have tried Voxativ Ampeggio and do not feel I can live with it long term for all types of music. Tried AER driver based but not in full range, and again, while I appreciate many of the attributes, I cannot feel I can live with it long term (on the bright and hard side).

This may be more of a quest if I can find a full range or semi-full range with subs for the lowest octave I can live with. I find myself quite sensitive to the crossover points regardless of slopes in multi driver designs lately. To put bluntly, I want the iphone speaker sound but with more refinement and full range :). All suggestions welcomed. Ddk’s unobtanium Siemens is out of the question though.

Siemens had a full range that was excellent, don't remember the model right now will check it when I get back home but of course the legendary one is the Goodman's Axiom 80. They're a bit costly these days but still a bargain compared to what's around.

david

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've really enjoyed the PI drivers every time I've heard them.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for all suggestions, I will dig down into each and every one :)

@jeffrey - may I ask why are’nt you using the PBN electronics? Have you tried them in your system? Pls feel free to PM.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for all suggestions, I will dig down into each and every one :)

@jeffrey - may I ask why are’nt you using the PBN electronics? Have you tried them in your system? Pls feel free to PM.

I'm a tube guy and a devotee to the Lamm sound. I've only demoed Peter's phono stage in my system and thought it was outstanding. If I needed another phono stage, I'd buy Peter's in a heart beat. I'm putting away a little money each month to buy one of his Denon based turntables however....

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I'm a tube guy and a devotee to the Lamm sound. I've only demoed Peter's phono stage in my system and thought it was outstanding. If I needed another phono stage, I'd buy Peter's in a heart beat. I'm putting away a little money each month to buy one of his Denon based turntables however....

I’m a big fan of Borbely jfet designs, which PBN is based on as well :). The phono is certainly the best i’ve ever heard/tried, if that means anything :). As for Peter’s Denon, I wonder how his 380 compares to the Denon 100m. How did you find the Denon in comparison to your Acoustic Signature?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I’m a big fan of Borbely jfet designs, which PBN is based on as well :). The phono is certainly the best i’ve ever heard/tried, if that means anything :). As for Peter’s Denon, I wonder how his 380 compares to the Denon 100m. How did you find the Denon in comparison to your Acoustic Signature?

I've heard the Denon 308 a few times, my friend's Tannoy Westminster system sounds great. I haven't had a chance to listen to the 308 in my system, but the fit and finish is outstanding. I'd like to buy the Denon in addition to my Ascona so I'd have a belt driven table as well as a direct drive.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Hi Leyenda,
The best I've experienced are Soundlabs for those with jazz and classical tastes and Zu for amplified music such as rock, soul, blues, etc.

And a question for you: What do you like and don't like about Voxativs? Interestingly, I think the reviewer Jon Valin has gotten sick og Magico (for now) and is now reviewing Voxativ.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've heard the Denon 308 a few times, my friend's Tannoy Westminster system sounds great. I haven't had a chance to listen to the 308 in my system, but the fit and finish is outstanding. I'd like to buy the Denon in addition to my Ascona so I'd have a belt driven table as well as a direct drive.

What does he drive the Westminster with?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Hi Caesar, on the Voxativs - I have to clarify first that I did not have a home audition and I only listened to a few songs at dealers. I will pm you as I do not think it is fair to the manufacturer that I express my opinion publicly. Its not like say the Magico that I paid $$$ for and can criticize the sound with confidence :cool:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I recently bought an antique pair of Altec 755-C single cone full range driver. It was made by Gordon Ranklin. founder of Wavac. It sounds magnificent. High efficiency largish bookshelf speaker in a lovely bamboo cabinet. No crossover. Pity no one can make a driver like the Altec 755-C or the far pricier Westinghouse 755-A version that now sells for many thousands of dollars on eBay. It’s a lost art of speaker design. Now all you get are monstrosities with many drivers with a complex crossover.

28017371-C08D-4527-B8CC-4DE95168F7C1.jpeg

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Looks a fine Speaker! kudos :) --I think you meant--

Gordon Rankin, designer and founder of Wavelength Audio--no?

Good listening,

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing