Gryphon Trident II

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
A few questions for those who can help:

- Does anybody own these?

- What minimum sized room is required?

- What is its nearest competitor?

- Has anyone compared to Magico M3s or M6s?

Last edited:

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Dreams are free! A speaker upgrade like that is a while away yet . I have my eyes on the M3s plus subwoofers or the Trident IIs. Am also thinking of moving apartments and a key consideration is music room size (current apartment is too small for either upgrade) so just thinking ahead.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Very much looking forward to reading about your further adventures. What are the dimensions of your current room?

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Small-Medium size. 18 feet deep and very wide from one side (opens up from the lounge/listening room to an open plan dining and 2nd lounge area). Too small for Trident IIs or M6s but probably ok for M3s. But not enough room for M3s + sub woofers. Perfect size for my S3 mk2s.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
AJR,

Speaking only for myself and my own experience...since i am always deal-driven (ie, big discounts, 2nd hand, etc), if i have had the opportunity in the past to pick up a pair of 'dream speakers' I have done so and worked them into the space.

Obviously, there are limits...but FWIW, i have never regretted having the big Wilsons even though the ceilings in our old place were a bit short. And today, they sound great having been 'freed up' with more space. But had I passed at that time...i am not 100% sure i would have been able to find these at the same price and in the same condition...possible, yes, but far from certain.

18' seems like a pretty good distance for the small dimension in a room. The Wilsons are designed for smaller rooms as well as bigger ones...it was one of David Wilsons big mantras...being able to reproduce the quality of sound he was striving for in multiple rooms...hence why they come with so many ways to adjust them.

That said, good setup even with fixed speakers can make a huge difference.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for that LL21.

How about this for a deal: a 2nd hand Pandora preamp (apparently 2 years old and in mint condition - the seller is a customer of my Gryphon dealer) for about the same price as a new Zena preamp.

Is very tempting!

But I also want to give my MSB Premier a decent try with the Antileon Evos. I have a hunch that if I decide to buy the Antileon Evo I will end up with the Pandora or Zena, but not for another 12 months or so, and that would depend on home auditioning to compare against the MSB. In the meantime I wanted to build up a war chest for a speaker upgrade.

The fun continues!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for that LL21.

How about this for a deal: a 2nd hand Pandora preamp (apparently 2 years old and in mint condition - the seller is a customer of my Gryphon dealer) for about the same price as a new Zena preamp.

Is very tempting!

But I also want to give my MSB Premier a decent try with the Antileon Evos. I have a hunch that if I decide to buy the Antileon Evo I will end up with the Pandora or Zena, but not for another 12 months or so, and that would depend on home auditioning to compare against the MSB. In the meantime I wanted to build up a war chest for a speaker upgrade.

The fun continues!

Indeed! You certainly have some great options there.

House of Gryphon_small.jpg
The House Of Gryphon, initial set-up was with the Diablo 300 driving the Trident II.

Pantheon vs Trident_small.jpg Pantheon vs Trident2_small.jpg POH_Trident _Pantheon_small.jpg
Pantheon & Trident. I'm 6' tall (1.85m) as a point of reference.

Trident_rear_small.jpg
That's a v nice high powered class AB on the rear panel of the Trident II.

I had the opportunity last month to spend a day listening to the Trident II with the Diablo 300, Antileon EVO, Colosseum & Mephisto. Preamps were mainly the Zena but also the Pandora. Source was the Mikado CD player feeding the Legatto DAC.

Sonically, we are enjoying the Pantheons immensely and think that they are a bargain in high end terms; even in our large living / listening room, we have found the bass to be nicely textured with lots of definition & articulation. They throw a wide, three dimensional soundstage and will rock out when needed and disappear like mini monitors if properly installed. The most telling feature is their ability to convey emotion & passion; they can easily bring an adult to tears listening to an emotional performance (such as Pandora, my wife while listening to Foy Vance "It Burns"). If you turn up the volume in anger, for an iconic rock classic, such as LZ's "Whole Lotta Love" - we have measured 110dB at the listening chair, with the speakers just ambling along nicely. In contrast to the Vivid Giya G1 series 2, the Pantheon are richer & more musical sounding, while the Giyas are more resolute for listening to the recording. So do you want to listen to the music or the recording ?

Trident II; what do you get if you spend three times as much money as the Pantheon ? The cheapest Gryphon monoblocks are more than half the price of the Tridents, so that is a major consideration. The Tridents are a sealed enclosure, versus ports in the Pantheon. The Tridents are 3dB less efficient than the Pantheon as a result. Not having any ports, mean that the Tridents are easier to position in a room. With adjustable dampening & amplitude from the listening chair via remote control, means that the speakers are easier to dial in.

Trident II are extremely impressive both sonically & visually. Its a sealed cabinet, with tighter & more articulate bass than the Pantheon. Where the Trident differs from most of the competition is that it has a huge class AB amplifier bolted to the rear panel that drives the four woofers. The amp is rated at 500W RMS or 2,000W peak power. So the mids & highs are 95dB efficient, in reality you only need a good 20W amp to drive these; so an excellent 845 amp would do the trick, as would any of the Gryphon class A amps. So how does it sound ? No surprise that it sounds like a scaled down Kodo versus a larger Pantheon. I really like the Mundorf air motion transformer found in all the Gryphon speakers, wonderfully airey highs, the transition between all the drivers is absolutely seamless. The tonal texture is sophisticated enough to allow one to differentiate between a Guarneri or a Strad or a Hamburg Steinway versus a New York Steinway. Even the Diablo 300 had a wonderful relaxed presentation driving the Tridents, clearly we were listening to the low powered class A output of the Diablo 300 - effortless is what came to mind.

Personally, I hope to swing later on in the year, the Trident II with Colosseum monos with either walnut burl side panels or red leather with black stitching. More anon.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Beautiful speaker, they managed to make a elegant large speaker !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing