Nordost - "Making the Connection"

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, agreed on that 110%!

Infact, I do have access to the Tyr2 speaker cables and those will probably be the next move. However, I'm still getting used to a few other gear settling in... The Esoteric sacd player is still settling in, although I think a few more hours will benefit. What I noticed is after the 2-3hr mark of playback it shifts into another dimension and I can turn down the volume even further. Also the big CJ SS amplifier I'm currently using whiles my tube monoblocks are undergoing a final SE upgrade, is further settling in nicely due to the large bank of Teflon caps that require so many hours to get going.

What I'm trying to achieve overall is a very full sound with all the detail, soundstage depth and finesse at low volume levels. This is very achievable especially with tube amplifiers and high quality cables, and for me Nordost has proved it 110%. Extremely happy with the Frey2 at this stage and what it offers, it's just marvellous!

So perhaps around mid this year, I'll venture into the Tyr. Might probably even end up with Odin's supreme reference series at one point or the other but I think that's more of a dream for now, since getting thrown into the dog house by the wifey is more of a reality! So I guess I better stick to what I've got at this stage.

It's definitely a marvellous thing, and one thing Nordost is good at is "making the connection," without a doubt!

Cheers to 2021, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Just an FYI imhe : Heimdall2>Frey2>TYR2>Valhalla2... as you may well have already experienced are not at all a simple linear progression in “better ness” or “more ness” for your $€£¥ and present very system dependent. Though they do reveal and resolve progressively up the product line, they have personality or favor of their own and really need to be taste-tested, as an assumption that the next level will be a evolution of the former will likely be met with some confusion and dismay.

Reactions: bmarq

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, very true.

Infact, back in the hey day when Nordost launched their first Flat Line gold speaker cables, trying these out on Paradigm speakers for the first time was a revelation! Moved up towards Blue Heaven and then onto Red Dawn, the Blue Heaven proved to be better on certain aspects compared to Red Dawn. Then finally onto the SPM reference cables, which were their top of line at the time, and these were marvellous!

Having experienced similar variations between the Norse2 line up and ending with theTyr2 series, I actually preferred the Frey2 with the current system installed. However, I'm thinking perhaps the trials didn't go as expected merely because I'm currently using a different Norse2 line up for interconnects and power cords. Oh well, nothing to fuss about too much I guess, as long as I'm hearing all the finer details as they ought to be. It's that overall balance that's hard to achieve in a short span of time. Once achieved through patience and perseverance, the results are very noticeable.

Down the road when time permits, I will trial the Tyr2 again but this time perhaps with upgraded power accessories if they exist. Otherwise I'll have to use equivalent cords on whatever Nordost offers as their next best thing... if it exists within the next few years. Who knows what series they may introduce next after Norse2. I'm suspecting they might even downsize and offer only top tier stuff at top level pricing!

When there's a large range to choose from amongst the same brand, this gets confusing and makes trials / demos harder to judge. There are far too many variables in such a vast array. I think comparing and trialing just two top level products would be much easier and clearer to evaluate.

I'm still very impressed though by the way Nordost designs and constructs their cables. It's very labour intensive and the process is so stringent, yet their cables can be quite fussy when installed in certain types of systems that prove to be a mismatch. I had that very same experience with Maggie's, perhaps it was the silver plating that made them far too bright all round. Whereas the top line stuff from Cardas proved to be a much better balance overall, and I guess this was something to do with using pure copper as the main material. OTOH, using Nordost with stats, from Quads to CLX's proved to be a far better solution. Once again system dependent comes into play big time.

I'll give it perhaps mid this year and see how the Tyr2 cables work out. In the meantime, the Frey2 is delivering all that I'm looking for, so to come to think of it, why change?

Cheers maties, enjoy those fine tunes.
Best, RJ

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Air dielectric for me is most often a very recognizable attribute with cabling, in that it sounds like absolutely nothing in the way. Other aspects of the cable may have some color or character but I believe this is where Nordost has it right throughout their product line. Just my 2¢

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, without a doubt!
The only thing or issue that I have with Nordost is, as you go up the chain, the price increases by either double or triple the amount... and that's a significant increase in cost, not subtle.

Then for me to justify that extra spend is questionable. However, after a few listens, you tend to forget the cost simply because the level of playback is at such a high quality, all costs are automatically forgotten!

I guess that's enjoying the music.
Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

KeesNL

Jun 23, 2021
Always found the Nordost line giving a great price performance ratio. Started years back with the super flatline gold (double flatline gold in shotgun setup) and a pair of red dawn interconnects. Later switched to a full red dawn cable setup. Powercords, interlink and speakercable.

After that the prices started to get up so much i started to look around, first to just compare and to make sure i wouldn't pay so much money while there could be another or even better alternative for the same or less money. Found the German Goldkabel Executive series a better performer at way lower prices, also a fantastic match with my then setup.

Last years moved up in setup and compared the Nordost line with the Ansuz cables to replace the Goldkabels. Also because Lars and Michael from Ansuz are the guys who worked on many highend Nordost cables.
Bought several Nordost and Ansuz cables and started trying to see what i liked best in my system and to my taste. For me system and taste match means more then any test out on the internet to be honest.
Now recently sold my last Nordost cables, still think they are great but for me the Ansuz cables work better. Mind, this can also be because my amp en speakers are wired and matched towards these Ansuz line. Raidho modded Scansonic MB3.5 speakers and Gato Audio Dia400s with the same building components (amplification) as the Aavik 150 from the same Micheal Borresen who designed these amp/speakers/cables.
Very happy Ansuz owner here; Ansuz Mainz8 XTC powerbox/ 1x C2 + 2x A-edition + P2 Mainz powercords/ A Digitalz coax and usb/ P2 xlr Signalz interconnect.

Still really like the Nordost line, specially when used in the right setup they sound amazing.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I do not have experience with the latest versions of Nordost IC's or speaker cables. But I do with their power cables (up to Heimdall 2) and power distribution boxes.

I messed for years with various different power filtration devices, DC blockers, filters both serial and parallel, resonators, plug-ins e.t.c
I found that what you gain from them they also take away in other areas. I was also a bit shocked that the Nordost QB-8 power distributor bested them all. It seems like an empty box with just a circuit board in it that does something to the grounding, but it was the least intrusive and the least colored sound of all my power filtering experiments.

Then I also experienced the QKore grounding, with the ground post of the QB-8 going to this grounding box. A revelation, again all gain and no coloration or negative effects.

So I seriously say consider the foundation of a system should be the QB-8 distributor with a QKore-1 grounding it. And the price of both those components is not that outrageous compared to the way this hobby has been going in recent years.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, the Qbase 8 is a fantastic accessory to have in any high quality system. Partner this with the QX4 and it reaches an outstanding level of detail and quietness, which also evolves to greater transparency. Using these accessories alongside the Nordost cable solutions is one fine combination. Obviously highly system dependent, and if it works well, it's that top level of quality playback that you will experience.

The QKore units are designed in such a way, they will further elevate those finer levels in micro detail that were not thought possible until you actually install one.

Recently I visited a private demo where the owner had multiple QX4 & QX2 units plugged into nearly every piece of gear. It replaced the standard power cords to higher grade ones and passed through each dedicated QX4 or QX2 unit, along with his speakers since they're powered speakers. That level of detail and refinement is right up there!

I've tried a similar thing before with multiple QX2 units, since they're modular units and can be added to the system gear as you wish. However, there is a point where it reaches its threshold and this is the top most level your system will deliver. Beyond that, improvements are very marginal...

I've already achieved that fine level with my particular gear but I must admit that when I tried dedicated QX2 units for each of the speakers, it was certainly a mighty fine combination! I do have serious intentions to finalise this but still deciding between two separate QX4's or QX2's, will give it some thought...

As for now, sit back and enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
old thread.. But trying out a pair of Valhalla 2m power cords to my ML ESL 11’s. First with original wattgate connectors, later with new from aluminum milled connectors from Viborg (the same brand Shunyata source from). Results so far. Nothing but stunning. Valhalla power cords and Martin Logan Electrostats are a fine match IMHO. The clearity, the timing is world class. This is going to be a late evening :)

Attachments

• IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4080.jpeg
    IMG_4080.jpeg
    618.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
old thread.. But trying out a pair of Valhalla 2m power cords to my ML ESL 11’s. First with original wattgate contacts, later with new from aluminum milled contacts from Viborg (the same brand Shunyata source contacts from). Results so far. Nothing but stunning. Valhalla power cords and Martin Logan Electrostats are a fine match IMHO. The clearity, the timing is world class. This is going to be a late evening :)
Funny how this hobby works. I just had a home audition of Valhalla 2 power cords and found them bright, thin, and not so good in my system. I actually prefer the musicality of the Tyr2 power cords compared to Valhalla 2s in my system.

Last edited:

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
@Big Dog RJ
Note how Nordost has now seemingly dumped the QX2/4 line of products in favour of these QSource things, which all need the multiple 5v out LPS to power them all.

Or maybe that's just a different product altogether and the QX will be back in new versions?

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Funny how this hobby works. I just had a home audition of Valhalla 2 power cords and found them bright, thin, and not so good in my system. I actually prefer the musicality of the Try2 power cords compared to Valhalla 2s in my system.
Someone told me that Valhalla I and Tyr II are very similar? Anyway. There is nothing bright in my system. I have a large very well dampened room, fully Class A driven with new tech (Bacch) implemented. Valhalla did not bring any brightness to the system, hence speed, precision, articulation and power. I was very satisfied with the sound prior to the introduction of the Valhalla’s. With them I noticed improvements in all important factors. They now fuel up my Speakers so they have an important role to play. Given these results I will also try Valhalla PC to my Bacch and to the Torus conditioner later this week. I.e 4x Valhalla PC in my system. For me the Valhalla’s (1) seem like great value. I pick them up on the 2nd hand market for a fraction of what Valhalla II cost. Will keep you posted.

Republicoftexas69

Someone told me that Valhalla I and Tyr II are very similar? Anyway. There is nothing bright in my system. I have a large very well dampened room, fully Class A driven with new tech (Bacch) implemented. Valhalla did not bring any brightness to the system, hence speed, precision, articulation and power. I was very satisfied with the sound prior to the introduction of the Valhalla’s. With them I noticed improvements in all important factors. They now fuel up my Speakers so they have an important role to play. Given these results I will also try Valhalla PC to my Bacch and to the Torus conditioner later this week. I.e 4x Valhalla PC in my system. For me the Valhalla’s (1) seem like great value. I pick them up on the 2nd hand market for a fraction of what Valhalla II cost. Will keep you posted.
I have been very reluctant to buy any of the more well known brand name interconnects or power cords on the second hand market, due to the massive influx or proliferation of counterfeit product in this channel. Authentication can be problematic.

Reactions: agisthos

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, the QX units have been discontinued to make way for the Qsource and Qpoint units. However, this is typical Nordost as they're always improving and when they release a product, it's not just a new thing but has to reach very high standards in total upgrades. Nordost is one of those that does this well.

Although the QX units are no longer available, whatever remaining items can still be used to great effect. I've been using these QX units along with the Qbase 8 since 2010. Along the way I upgraded each unit to the newer version and ever since never regretted it. I can further elevate the performance grounding and quietness with the new Qsource & Qpoint units but I haven't gotten round doing so, simply because everything sounds mighty fine as is! So why mess with it.

I've gone upto the Tyr2 cables and everything else is Frey2 & Heimdall2. From this point onwards, after trying out the Valhalla and Odin series, in order for me to achieve my personal benchmark in improvement, which is 40% or higher, I can certainly confirm that the Odin's are the top. The Valhalla series is very fine, and they are of reference level but in certain systems it can be overly transparent, showing other flaws in the chain. So it's not suitable to all types. In such cases, the Frey2 or Tyr2 series is a safer option. This particular series can be used across many different types of set-ups. When you start looking at Valhalla or the Odin Supreme reference series, there are other factors to consider, it's not just about the cables.
However, considering the price tag, I can't justify 30grand for a few skinny metres of cable... I'm not that silly. But boy was it a good ride, awe-inspiring!

To those of you who have installed the Odin & Odin Gold series 2, hats off- respect! It's one hell of a cable! There's nothing quite like it.

As I've said before, as you go up the Nordost line of accessories, just because the elements get very expensive doesn't necessarily mean that it will enhance any and every system. These super fine accessories are highly system dependent, you have to find the one combination that suits your particular set-up. Not one system is ever the same, there are far too many variables to compare, the combinations are limitless.

I will say this though, once you've found the right match of cables and the full power loom, just sit back and enjoy those finest tunes.
Woof! RJ

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
After a couple of nights listening to my ML ESL 11’s fuelled up by a pair of Nordost Valhalla’s (gen I), I can say I am very pleased with the change in sound. It is somewhat stronger, more energised, more articulated, and the timing (Prat) seem better (compared to stock). I also implemented one Valhalla power cord from the Furutech power outlet to my Torus Conditioner and one more from the Torus to my source component (DAC/Streamer) with great results. My components and my ears seem to like the 7x solid core silver plated conductors (per cord) run through air dielectric. Such a plaeasure when your system get’s a bit more life injected! This is my second encounter with Nordost. I borrowed a C19 Valhalla II to my Gryphon Essence Class A amplifier with great results a couple of months ago. Quite pleased with my current C19 Luna, but might re-consider later on. Power cords are intriguing!

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpeg
    IMG_4132.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4133.jpeg
    IMG_4133.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    649.8 KB · Views: 8

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
After a couple of nights listening to my ML ESL 11’s fuelled up by a pair of Nordost Valhalla’s (gen I), I can say I am very pleased with the change in sound. It is somewhat stronger, more energised, more articulated, and the timing (Prat) seem better (compared to stock). I also implemented one Valhalla power cord from the Furutech power outlet to my Torus Conditioner and one more from the Torus to my source component (DAC/Streamer) with great results. My components and my ears seem to like the 7x solid core silver plated conductors (per cord) run through air dielectric. Such a plaeasure when your system get’s a bit more life injected! This is my second encounter with Nordost. I borrowed a C19 Valhalla II to my Gryphon Essence Class A amplifier with great results a couple of months ago. Quite pleased with my current C19 Luna, but might re-consider later on. Power cords are intriguing!
Outstanding!
Now that will add a very fine level of performance, sit back and enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Outstanding!
Now that will add a very fine level of performance, sit back and enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ
Thanks BigDog. It is a true pleasure to re-discover one favorites with more information, nuances and musical flow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing