Nordost - "Making the Connection"

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day maties, fellow audiophiles and ladies...

As their slogan goes... "Making the Connection" hot-dam do they make the connection!

Just for trial and the heck of it, once in a lifetime (for me at least) I tried the Odin's- no words... just speechless, and especially when it costs nearly the price of a full system, just for a meter pair. Anyway, not in my finances.

So I managed to get hold of the Frey speaker cable - wow! Superb transparency and depth, compared to the previous Heimdall's I was using, this is certainly a notch above.
The most significant performance criteria, were obviously transparency and depth as earlier noted but not only that, the speed is just extraordinary! On one of my favorite albums, Larry Carlton with Robben Ford "unplugged" I was trying to follow the transition from bass to guitar and back, it's so fast the track is gone!

Now, I plan to upgrade to the Frey Interconnects, however this will take awhile since that price tag is slightly out of reach for the moment. Hence, using Heimdall interconnects for now. Having had the DHLabs Q-10 signature series 2 speaker cable, that served extremely well for nearly a decade, trying various cables across a host of brands did not justify the extra spend until I installed the Frey's.

Whatever Nordost puts out is simply outstanding and will enhance the performance of any system regardless of price. After auditioning the Odin's, I am quite dizzy after that short 3 hours with them, that I tend to wonder what on earth have Nordost done/constructed in the Odin's to make them sound that way. Then again I suppose in order for the Odin's to takeoff, one must have a top notch system with a lofty price tag? Definitely not so, with the current CJ Monoblocks (LP125m's) and the simple PV15 preamp, driving a pair of Martin Logan Ethos, I'm wondering whether anything else is really required for my journey... happy as!

Hats off to Nordost, and the performance level they've managed to reach with the Frey. Anyone looking out for a cable in the range of 4-5 grand for a 2m pair, I highly recommend the Frey. On another note, I strongly believe it can very easily out-perform others costing twice as much but only to be beaten by its own.

To those who have Valhalla or Odin's, I truly understand how serious you are with recorded music reproduction at its finest- simply marvelous!
Cheers to Nordost- they have definitely made the connection!
Massive woof- RJ

Reactions: hogen

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
G'day maties, fellow audiophiles and ladies...

As their slogan goes... "Making the Connection" hot-dam do they make the connection!

Just for trial and the heck of it, once in a lifetime (for me at least) I tried the Odin's- no words... just speechless, and especially when it costs nearly the price of a full system, just for a meter pair. Anyway, not in my finances.

So I managed to get hold of the Frey speaker cable - wow! Superb transparency and depth, compared to the previous Heimdall's I was using, this is certainly a notch above.
The most significant performance criteria, were obviously transparency and depth as earlier noted but not only that, the speed is just extraordinary! On one of my favorite albums, Larry Carlton with Robben Ford "unplugged" I was trying to follow the transition from bass to guitar and back, it's so fast the track is gone!

Now, I plan to upgrade to the Frey Interconnects, however this will take awhile since that price tag is slightly out of reach for the moment. Hence, using Heimdall interconnects for now. Having had the DHLabs Q-10 signature series 2 speaker cable, that served extremely well for nearly a decade, trying various cables across a host of brands did not justify the extra spend until I installed the Frey's.

Whatever Nordost puts out is simply outstanding and will enhance the performance of any system regardless of price. After auditioning the Odin's, I am quite dizzy after that short 3 hours with them, that I tend to wonder what on earth have Nordost done/constructed in the Odin's to make them sound that way. Then again I suppose in order for the Odin's to takeoff, one must have a top notch system with a lofty price tag? Definitely not so, with the current CJ Monoblocks (LP125m's) and the simple PV15 preamp, driving a pair of Martin Logan Ethos, I'm wondering whether anything else is really required for my journey... happy as!

Hats off to Nordost, and the performance level they've managed to reach with the Frey. Anyone looking out for a cable in the range of 4-5 grand for a 2m pair, I highly recommend the Frey. On another note, I strongly believe it can very easily out-perform others costing twice as much but only to be beaten by its own.

To those who have Valhalla or Odin's, I truly understand how serious you are with recorded music reproduction at its finest- simply marvelous!
Cheers to Nordost- they have definitely made the connection!
Massive woof- RJ

+1

With Nordost cabling, IME as you go up the line ...two things happen--One, you empty out your wallet more and more; to the point where even the wall street junkies begin to sweat ( well just a tiny bit) and two-- you do get more of everything. More resolution, more precise imaging, better tonal quality, more dynamics, etc.,
I too am very happy with my Frey speaker cable, it is a real winner. If you get a chance, try some Tyr....it is close to Valhalla and not close price wise. Nordost likes to multiply by two ( appx...except for the Odin line ) the price as you go up their line.
One of my a'phile friends believes that Nordost has made the connection to your wallet....something to contemplate as well, LOL.:D

Reactions: hogen

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Frey & Tyr

Nice one Davey!

Yes, agreed 110%, definitely wallet and whatever else after...

However, in my careful planning and long awaited patience, the price I actually paid for the Frey was less than half of what it would generally cost for a 2m pair. But on the downside, if I was to go for their interconnects, I need to place a "new" order, hence the cost as you correctly pointed out begins to multiply...

I did try out the Tyr, and yes it is basically Valhalla standard, another superb product and at even greater price point. Whether this is worth it or not, I wouldn't be able to justify that but one thing for sure is the Frey provides all that is required from utter transparency and through stats this really comes out with sheer musicality and power.

Obviously for those who can afford Valhalla and Odin products, they should match those with an equally top of the line system. My question has always been "what really defines top of the line"? Is it justified by price / or by performance regardless of price / or by value... I think whatever system one can put together and have just the right amount spared for some truly remarkable cables & wires, that should add that finer touch to a remarkable level of realism. That's what I'm after, and having said that, the rest of the accessories are all Nordost- Sort Kones, QX4, Q-Base 8, all power cords, and now cables... I think that should be just about adequate.

Thanks for your reply Davey, I am sure you will be enjoying those Frey's for many many years.
Cheers, RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
RJ, hate to say this, but I found that the move up to Tyr interconnects was more noticeable than the move up to the Frey speaker cabling. Tyr interconnects are truly exceptional, IME. I think when it comes to Nordost cabling, and maybe everyone else’s as well, the ic ‘s seem to make more of a difference than the sc’s. I also utilize Nordost Red Dawn 2 sc in my system...when I am listening to my ss amp...this sc cable is nearly as revealing as the Frey sc and again just a fraction of the price. I don’t think the Red Dawn ic’s were that great however...particularly in relation to the Tyr ic’s.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Totally agree Davey, the Tyr is an exceptional cable, no doubt! Although I didn't try it specifically on my system, I did hear it quite extensively on my CJ dealership mates system, and it was indeed marvelous. Yes, very close to Valhalla performance as you pointed out.

However, for me at this point in my life, I think I will stop with the Frey. I will be getting the Heimdall interconnects on Sunday and will leave it at that, until the Frey interconnects are on order. Since using Heimdall power cords on all the components, the level of performance, particularly zero noise floor, darker background and that total immersive sound is limitless, completely satisfied with it.

Another, thing is although I could squeeze some funds towards either Tyr or Valhalla, I really don't want to divulge in this kind of expenditure. Everything is focused on other priorities, such as house, kiddo's education and must never forget, the good wife! If not for her support, during the hard times I faced migrating to Aus, plus the various jobs I was in & out of... I would be on the streets!
She was always there no matter what! Held strong and ran the ship, even on just one income. I'll never forget at my lowest point in time, I had to sell off my CJ ACT2 preamp and a lot of other CJ gear, just to make ends meet.

Now I've bounced back, and this time with a solid foundation, plus finally an employer who appreciates the hard dam work put in, that makes a huge difference!
Therefore, I plan to settle with this for now, since I had to rebuild the entire system from scratch in 2015. I'm looking forward to at least the next decade with the Frey. Unless I was able to acquire a trade-in deal from a customer wanting to upgrade to the Odin's or Valhalla's, then the Tyr would be available for a very good price, which was the case with the Frey's.

Prior to this, it was all DHLabs, from interconnects to cables, except power cords, and that served extremely well for 8 years, with fantastic value for money.

Another thing I realized, nearly every Ethos system that I have listened to so far, including the ML dealer's place, and that's making a fair comparison to some of the other top line speakers he's currently selling, none of them equal what the Ethos can do with the Frey and CJ amplification.

I also remember quite vividly when we had the Apogee Diva's, connected to Nordost SPM reference cables, that was superb! The SPM was their top of the line, at the time.
To me it seems like the Frey offers all those qualities and more. Plus it elevates the performance of the Ethos that I can very easily compare to the Diva's. I prefer the Ethos to Diva's in many ways. The Diva's were a remarkable ribbon transducer, no doubt. It also required an awful lot of care in placement as well as maintenance, hence they never sounded the same after several repairs were carried out over the years. May be the technical team carrying out the repairs didn't quite understand ribbons but they were experts in repairing Maggie's... I don't know what went wrong.

With the Ethos, I find them far more reliable, very easy to place and set up, and most of all, high efficiency thus when driven with 125w of musicality from CJ in monoblock form, what more do you really need... I certainly don't need anything else whatsoever!

As I have previously stated on many other posts, good enough is as "good enough".
Cheers to all Nordost users, and especially those using a full Nordost connection/loom, they are simply outstanding!
RJ

Reactions: cmarin

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
As a full Odin loom user, I can say Tyr is excellent and really a bargain, if bargain is an appropriate word for stereo cabling....lol

G'day Rockitman,
I must say, "respect mate"! Hats off to you. I do know how the Odin's sound and what you're achieving in terms of pure musicality at its finest! The Odin's are the worshipful master, I don't think anything else comes close or at least what I've heard to date. Other than of course the Valhalla's.

As I stated in my previous reply to Davey, I won't be going towards the Tyr or Valhalla, unless there was a trade-in deal eminent...

The chap who actually upgraded to the Odin's, was using the Frey's, hence I grabbed them but he's not letting go of the Frey interconnects. Claims that on his particular CJ amplification, which is the Classic 120se used in bi-amp mode, all remaining interconnects are Frey, the only difference being Odin's for speaker cables. I plan to head out to this chaps place again on either Sun or Mon for a listen, as he claims this combination to work extremely well with his ML Ren15A's. He's also expecting arrival of CJ's new ART150 amp in Sept, and will be selling off his Classic se's. Further claims that once the ART150 settles in nicely, he will place an order for the ART300's as he feels that the 300's will provide all that is required from a SOTA tube monoblock config, no kidding! (I was going to use another word in place of Kidding but that would be naughty).

Well I guess the ART300's matched with the Odin's would be just incredible! So each time I venture towards his place for a listen, I will continue to appreciate what Nordost has created!

Have a good one mate, enjoy your Odin's.
With a highly "respectful" woof!
RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
RJ, you made some of the best points in your previous post about life's priorities...and I TOTALLY agree with you. This is a hobby, plain and simple...and IMHO it should NEVER interrupt our life in such a way that it can cause any potential for damage to our other priorities. Unfortunately, I happen to know of a few a'philes who let it do exactly that. These folks are asking for trouble, IME.

As to Frey vs Tyr...IMHO both are superb cables...and it would almost certainly behove one to look elsewhere at all the ancillary gear as the upgrade path for where money needs to be spent, before an upgrade between the two should be contemplated...again all IMHO.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Just a quick update from down unda... all is well and well is all!

Picked up the Heimdall interconnects this arvo, now fitted alongside with the Frey is superb!
The full spectrum was always there, even on the DHLabs and Analysis plus interconnects, there was nothing lacking. However, the significant improvement from installing the Frey + Heimdall + power cords delivers a more fuller sense of scale & depth, and there is just more of the music.

The sheer speed and definition along with a more lively presentation is delivered Effortlessly, with more bite and snap, reminds me more of the SPM reference and all its superb attributes but at a higher level.

After experiencing this level of performance, I know that the Frey interconnects would be that nice added touch to the full wiring but the price hike is quite significant, still contemplating...
For me unless it's above 50% in overall improvement, I can't justify the extra spend. And so that percentage of improvement has been closer to 60% which is fantastic!

I'll wait it out a bit and see what's available towards end of year. My dealer mate was talking about receiving another pair of Odin cables to be placed for an order. Before it leaves his shop, must try them out just for fun & comparisons. I'm sure this one trial will be out of this world, looking forward to it.

Cheers to Nordost! RJ

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Very interesting thread.
Are we talking Frey,Heimdall and Tyr Series 2 or Series 1?

Either way, they are all great sounding cables, IME. I am talking series 1 in my system...although I do think that series 2 offers some benefits, it's not worth it to me to upgrade from series 1 to 2.
I do think that upgrading from say Heimdall to Frey will give you a bigger bang for the buck than going from say.. Frey series 1 to Frey series 2, etc.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, correct spot on!

The upgrades as you spend and your wallet plus bank empties...ha! is fairly small compared to series 1 & 2 but from a different category or series such as the new Norse series is up there in the 50% performance range and you can actually "feel" it! There is no doubt.

I was going over the interview back a few years with the Nordost team and the way they construct there cables. The Science behind Nordost was the interview with their senior team. It has remained exactly the same when we visited their Factory in MA many years ago... The way they construct their products are like no other and they are created at extraordinary levels.

I remember I was told by the chap, that since it take about 8 hours to create just 1m of cable, after working full-time for nearly two weeks, a team member in their winding facility takes a a couple days off just to reset! Sounds like those chaps at Air Traffic control...

I have said this before and strongly believe, that in any highly transparent and revealing system, the Nordost cabling solutions provide that finer refinement like no other, and especially on CJ gear for that matter, it is nothing short of marvelous!

Cheers to all, and best to Nordost,
another big woof!! RJ

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for those replies.
Someone I trust tells me the Tyr 2 cables comfortably exceed the performance of the original Valhalla.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Tyr2 vs Valhalla

Thanks for those replies.
Someone I trust tells me the Tyr 2 cables comfortably exceed the performance of the original Valhalla.

Yes, could well be, I wouldn't be surprised.
I reckon if possible, try them out on your system and only your ears are the final judge!

I would first try the Tyr then the Valhalla last, that way the comparison after a few hours on the Tyr, you get used to that sound... Then install the Valhalla's and things should change either one way or the other. You will be able to identify it straight away, unlike the majority of other types of cables, which sometimes is very hard to judge.

Cheers mate, let us know what you find.
RJ

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks very much.It might take me a while,but I will report back.
Appreciate your interest.
Ross.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Nordost is IMO the MOST revealing of all cables. While it has, rightly or wrongly, been accused of being sometimes bright, sometimes overly resolving ( not sure how that can be..but??) and many times introducing a 'whitish' sound...it is never accused of being too dark ( at least I have never heard that). The problem that the design seems to highlight is this...and this is absolutely IMO only, IF your system and your preference is for a more 'soft' sounding presentation and you are not a 'resolution' type of listener, plus you have ANY distorting/ringing gear up stream, you will NOT like this type of cable design..period.

Reactions: cmarin

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nordost is IMO the MOST revealing of all cables. While it has, rightly or wrongly, been accused of being sometimes bright, sometimes overly resolving ( not sure how that can be..but??) and many times introducing a 'whitish' sound...it is never accused of being too dark ( at least I have never heard that). The problem that the design seems to highlight is this...and this is absolutely IMO only, IF your system and your preference is for a more 'soft' sounding presentation and you are not a 'resolution' type of listener, plus you have ANY distorting/ringing gear up stream, you will NOT like this type of cable design..period.

Spot on Davey, spot on mate!

In fact, this is exactly what I experienced on my previous systems. Highend gear that I purchased, thinking these were "great" products sounded like they required something more... Changed far too many things along the way, and settled for certain types of cabling. The moment I tried the Nordost range, things changed so dramatically, I was wondering now what? Not only did it confuse me but I didn't know where to start to fix it.

Left it like that few years... Then changed over from full range stats to hybrids, stereo amps to monoblocks and downsized the preamp to a simpler and older series. Re-introduced the entire cabling system from scratch, since I already had the QX4 & Qbase8, adding the power cords for the full component line up was not only a revelation but also a true reference standard.

Interconnects are tricky, so I started over again with the entry level and up to the Norse series 2, being the Heimdall series 2.

Once that was settled, I gave it two years and then knew straight away exactly which cable would be perfect match to bring out the best in the ML Ethos, and that was the Frey. Obviously if I am to venture further to the Tyr, then knowing myself for that particular match, I would probably go for a full line up of Frey interconnects as well as their power cords and this the wifey would definitely throw me to the butchers...

The level of performance I get from this particular combination is just remarkable!
I am very appreciative to my CJ dealership team, and the kind support they extended for me to home trial the full Nordost line up, which costs a fortune for their reference line. Unless, this trial was done at home, I wouldn't have been able to know exactly what the Ethos is capable of on the CJ amplification.

At this point in time, I truly believe there really isn't anything else I would require from here onwards, unless it were the CLX's, which perhaps in 10-15 years may eventuate. So the big dog's express has come to a halt for now, since the music is superb and life is great, might as well enjoy without upsetting the better half...

Now it's onto the others to explore the possibilities of what their systems are capable of with some very special cabling from Nordost, after all it's about "making the connection"!
Cheers Maties, I'm sure you will have a very good one for decades.
RJ

bengal_finch

May 10, 2015
:) beautiful blog/thread fueled by raw Nordost power.

i am a Siltech user, got full Siltech loom very recently, still have Siltech except prince speaker cable. i sold it as it was heart breaking for me to park my beloved sc lying on the floor and collect dust. i recovered 75% on the price.Which i purchased from the Siltech authorized dealer.

its was not long back when i finished my SILTECH loom by purchasing last 4 pc Ruby Mountain2 for my MBL 9008A mono's, and got my self nearly killed paying them. once my a'phile brother listened my system and send his Transparent SUPER sc telling me to find out what i am missing. i was an old time transparent user and i hate transparent cable for the mufflers in my system. yet i hooked it as my experience with Transparent was old. image. focus and soundstage blown my off. even speaker ( Gryphon Pantheon ) placement can't help Siltech to stand in my system. i put my former wireworld eclipse 7 sc as a back up and sold my siltech prince.

i got completely broke as i know Siltech speaker cable is not working in my system. i loose complete interest to find new speaker cable for my system. as MBL with GRYPHONE is quite uncommon match i opted for. no i didn't listen my gears before purchasing as in my country no demo possible.

one day one of my another a'phile big bro came to listen my rig, fortunately he is the only person in my country known of have nordost valhalla 1 and 2. he told me to try Nordost sc in my system. i asked him to give me valhalla 1 and after listened i got shocked and felt so happy i still have that hooked up till then. i said him i am not giving it back to him. he smiled.

now i lend one valhalla 1 ac power cord, i hooked it up to my moon sim 820S power supply and enjoying a lot what i have never enjoyed before with my SIM moon 650D cd player.

yes i have listened the valhalla 2 in his house with ARC and VR 5 von schekert and EMM Lab front end, awesome.

i borrowed valhalla 1 IC and DIGITAL cable and used side by side with my SILTECH Queen and Golden Eagle 75, my siltech performed quite well as per my ear. Valhalla 1 is also very good but i really don't want to take any risk trying the valhalla 2.

Valhalla 1 SC cable work amazingly with my MBL & GRYPHON. i dare not to try anything new from NORDOST soon.

now planning to buy NORDOST AC power cord, i should go for valhalla 2 this time. GOD wills.

NORDOST is a sure shot, for most system. BUT taste differs.

PS: i paid my big bro for valhalla1 and trust me i never felt that happy after purchasing anything in my system.

NORDOST you have earned it.

Now listening Gordon Lightfoot "ALL LIVE" track no 8 for the first time with valhalla SC. Its emotional.

i am quite happy with my Siltech Nordost comblo. But as the Nordost reviewers from HiFI + said NORDOST user eventually remove all other BRAND cables from rig, Nordost in my RIG attacking with Ac power cord for the time being.

being a two month old NORDOST user, i am simply happy, which i never be that happier. the NORDOST Valhalla 1 speaker cable is the the only used components i am owning, yes i felt i can't live without Nordost valhalla 1 speaker cable. i believe i can't live without Nordost.

its hard to stop, when you express revealing your feeling about Nordost. and still its not enough. happy listening every one.

Big Dog RJ, Daveyf and Rockitman ... feel like to hug you all. tc .. we are family.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
:) beautiful blog/thread fueled by raw Nordost power.

i am a Siltech user, got full Siltech loom very recently, still have Siltech except prince speaker cable. i sold it as it was heart breaking for me to park my beloved sc lying on the floor and collect dust. i recovered 75% on the price.Which i purchased from the Siltech authorized dealer.

its was not long back when i finished my SILTECH loom by purchasing last 4 pc Ruby Mountain2 for my MBL 9008A mono's, and got my self nearly killed paying them. once my a'phile brother listened my system and send his Transparent SUPER sc telling me to find out what i am missing. i was an old time transparent user and i hate transparent cable for the mufflers in my system. yet i hooked it as my experience with Transparent was old. image. focus and soundstage blown my off. even speaker ( Gryphon Pantheon ) placement can't help Siltech to stand in my system. i put my former wireworld eclipse 7 sc as a back up and sold my siltech prince.

i got completely broke as i know Siltech speaker cable is not working in my system. i loose complete interest to find new speaker cable for my system. as MBL with GRYPHONE is quite uncommon match i opted for. no i didn't listen my gears before purchasing as in my country no demo possible.

one day one of my another a'phile big bro came to listen my rig, fortunately he is the only person in my country known of have nordost valhalla 1 and 2. he told me to try Nordost sc in my system. i asked him to give me valhalla 1 and after listened i got shocked and felt so happy i still have that hooked up till then. i said him i am not giving it back to him. he smiled.

now i lend one valhalla 1 ac power cord, i hooked it up to my moon sim 820S power supply and enjoying a lot what i have never enjoyed before with my SIM moon 650D cd player.

yes i have listened the valhalla 2 in his house with ARC and VR 5 von schekert and EMM Lab front end, awesome.

i borrowed valhalla 1 IC and DIGITAL cable and used side by side with my SILTECH Queen and Golden Eagle 75, my siltech performed quite well as per my ear. Valhalla 1 is also very good but i really don't want to take any risk trying the valhalla 2.

Valhalla 1 SC cable work amazingly with my MBL & GRYPHON. i dare not to try anything new from NORDOST soon.

now planning to buy NORDOST AC power cord, i should go for valhalla 2 this time. GOD wills.

NORDOST is a sure shot, for most system. BUT taste differs.

PS: i paid my big bro for valhalla1 and trust me i never felt that happy after purchasing anything in my system.

NORDOST you have earned it.

Now listening Gordon Lightfoot "ALL LIVE" track no 8 for the first time with valhalla SC. Its emotional.

i am quite happy with my Siltech Nordost comblo. But as the Nordost reviewers from HiFI + said NORDOST user eventually remove all other BRAND cables from rig, Nordost in my RIG attacking with Ac power cord for the time being.

being a two month old NORDOST user, i am simply happy, which i never be that happier. the NORDOST Valhalla 1 speaker cable is the the only used components i am owning, yes i felt i can't live without Nordost valhalla 1 speaker cable. i believe i can't live without Nordost.

its hard to stop, when you express revealing your feeling about Nordost. and still its not enough. happy listening every one.

Big Dog RJ, Daveyf and Rockitman ... feel like to hug you all. tc .. we are family.

Hi mate, great to hear from you and specially another very happy person who seems to be extremely pleased with the Nordost magic of "making the connection"!
The Valhalla cables are superb, as is every other Nordost cable, Valhalla's and Odin's take it right to the top, there's no comparison.

At the moment I'm trying out the Tyr cables but don't have the speaker ends terminated as spades, rather those Z plugs. The CLX's don't seem to accept Z type or banana plugs as easily compared to say the Ethos or other Martin Logan's that I've used.
Anyway, I managed to connect these cables and wow are they superb!
I'm also enjoying the Frey cables fantastic connection of reproduced music. I'm still getting used to the Tyr's level of transparency, which is right up there on par with the Valhalla line.

So far it seems to be performing in that 40% and above zone and so is the price... If it was around 50% & above, I would have closed the deal straight away but I'm still contemplating...
Perhaps I'll give it a bit more time, let's see how it goes.

It's a bit unusual for grown up men to hug but since you're a Nordost fan, won't hurt with a hug or two I guess. Cheers mate, and have a good one, enjoy your music and keep discovering the magic!
RJ

Reactions: Ultrafast69

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Ok, so this thread has been sleeping for a while. I’ll wake it gently and add my bit to perhaps evolve the conversation a step further.

Moving my listening from Nordost TYR (1) to TYR2 in my XLR IC’s and phono SE connects was kind of a big deal sonically.

The originals were some of the best cables my kit had ever experienced. They presented what I would characterize as an utterly transparent and very linear from top to bottom. Not thin, and not white in light. But possibly an excellent choice to transmit a source signal without colouring or smearing too much what the retrieval components were able to extract. In my experience that is what Nordost does so well. Is it the famed “air dialectic“? Or the supportive and vibration isolating monofilament architecture? Or perhaps the purity of the silver on copper core? I do’no.

But as it has been said; there is not knowing what you do not know. We can exist very happily, minding to our own, and then one morning the doors of perception feel a breeze and blow open just a crack, and the winds of change become most imminent. It was with that first taste of the TYR2. For the money, and in my kit, these did everything I admired about Nordost, and the TYR line originally, now additionally rendering with a tinge more tonal colour, warmth if you will, and a new and distinct liquid sense of flow, perhaps even slightly juicy(?). Overall, in very, very small amounts, but it felt (more) right. Like the difference between a smooth plate Telefunken and an Amperex Bugle Boy in the right circuit. It sounded just a bit more joyful through the midrange, a lovely addition.

This additionally causes me to recklessly wonder what paying three to ten times their value would further bring to the feast. But I’m not wandering down that rabbit hole, at least for now.

What continues to truly amaze me about this past time, hobby, beyond the beautiful music and friends to share it with, is not just all the different flavours that the gear and tweaks can bring, But it’s the fact that it seems like we can just keep getting a little deeper and drawing more out of it. The experience can actually, continues to get better and better...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing