Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy audition near Dallas

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I am working on a loudspeaker upgrade and a friend recently strongly recommended that I give the Watt/Puppy combination a try. In his opinion their sound would suit me and they would fit my current situation well, especially due to the fact that I can't bring my speakers out into the room very much (max 3 feet) and because they would be within my budget. I have the original Gryphon Diablo integrated as amplification.
Since I am very unfamiliar with Wilson Audio and the W/P are discontinued I am trying to find a place to audition them. I live in the Dallas area and thought that maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Maybe there's a W/P owner in the area that would be so kind and open their home in order for me to get an idea of how these sound like.
Thank you all so much in advance for any help.
Best
André

André, you are quite welcome to come listen to my WP8s. I'm driving them with Pass Labs XA 100's. I live down in Round Rock, about 10 miles north of the center of Austin.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
André, you are quite welcome to come listen to my WP8s. I'm driving them with Pass Labs XA 100's. I live down in Round Rock, about 10 miles north of the center of Austin.

André, you're in for a treat, this system sounds great so you'll be getting a very good idea of what WP8s are capable of.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
thanks, Steve. haven't driven down there in quite a while, but will take you up on that offer if I ever do.
on another note: I am currently auditioning a pair of WP5.1s. was almost giving up on them, but had a little breakthrough with setup this week. they are quite finicky to setup. inches make a remarkable difference. can someone weigh in on the differences from the 5.1 to the 6, 7 or 8?

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Just wanted to update you guys that I ended up keeping the Watt/Puppies I was auditioning. Overall, their cohesion, sound stage (especially depth), accuracy and macro dynamics were the major selling factors, apart from the fact that they work very well without having much room from front wall. Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions.
I would welcome insights regarding a thorough setup or, maybe even, someone who has a lot of experience with setting them up to extract all that they can provide. I have looked at the WASP, but it would make life easier if I could have someone who knows their way around the process do it with me.
I honestly never thought I would end up having W/P and I do still somewhat miss a ribbon HF extension, but the above-mentioned qualities made this move the best one for a good while. I don't foresee changing speakers in the near future and will be able to focus on tweaking other parts of the system.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Happy New Year to everyone.

Reactions: Golum

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
If I read right you are in the Dallas market? We have a small but dedicated group of guys that get together once a month to listen to systems and help each other out. I've owned Sasha 2s for going on 2 years now and another member with Sophia's. I'm sure we could all get together to share insights. If you're interested PM me and we can talk.

George

Reactions: reverendo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing