Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy audition near Dallas

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I am working on a loudspeaker upgrade and a friend recently strongly recommended that I give the Watt/Puppy combination a try. In his opinion their sound would suit me and they would fit my current situation well, especially due to the fact that I can't bring my speakers out into the room very much (max 3 feet) and because they would be within my budget. I have the original Gryphon Diablo integrated as amplification.
Since I am very unfamiliar with Wilson Audio and the W/P are discontinued I am trying to find a place to audition them. I live in the Dallas area and thought that maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Maybe there's a W/P owner in the area that would be so kind and open their home in order for me to get an idea of how these sound like.
Thank you all so much in advance for any help.
Best
André

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, there were several different versions of the Watt/Puppy, culminating in the model 8. ( Which I think was the best of them ). Each version had a somewhat different sound to the other. Many people, including myself, think that this speaker began to take on a more neutral sound beginning with the model 6. None of the Watt/Puppy combos can compete with the newer version called the Wilson Sasha. The reason, at least to my ears, is that with the Sasha, Wilson finally did away with the nasty 'ringing' Focal titanium dome tweeter that they had been using up until then.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Andre, there were several different versions of the Watt/Puppy, culminating in the model 8. ( Which I think was the best of them ). Each version had a somewhat different sound to the other. Many people, including myself, think that this speaker began to take on a more neutral sound beginning with the model 6. None of the Watt/Puppy combos can compete with the newer version called the Wilson Sasha. The reason, at least to my ears, is that with the Sasha, Wilson finally did away with the nasty 'ringing' Focal titanium dome tweeter that they had been using up until then.

You are referring to the Sasha II - the Sasha had the titanium tweeter. And yes, we agree the model 8 was great sounding.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Thanks, DaveyF
I am looking at preferably the 7 and 8 versions, which would fit the bill. The Sasha is outside of my budget. ;)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks, DaveyF
I am looking at preferably the 7 and 8 versions, which would fit the bill. The Sasha is outside of my budget. ;)

Simple answer, IF you can try both at home, then you will be sure. Since that may not be practical, I would suggest the model 8...although I suspect that either model will work given your parameters. I have not seen either on the used market for some time, so maybe that is going to be the determinant, therefore whichever comes available first.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Simple answer, IF you can try both at home, then you will be sure. Since that may not be practical, I would suggest the model 8...although I suspect that either model will work given your parameters. I have not seen either on the used market for some time, so maybe that is going to be the determinant, therefore whichever comes available first.

there are options on the used market, but I don't want to buy without knowing the house sound. with used and discontinued gear listening before buying is rather difficult.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The 7 came out like 15 years ago - finding a demo is going to be difficult. fyi, that speaker was very bright compared to your EAs. The 8 wasn't much of an upgrade as it really was just made for EU consumption. It was actually a quite lazy release and they picked up their groove as Magico came to prominence at the same time - resulting in a much improved Sasha.

You might consider going to the Dallas dealer who may have a Sasha 1 on trade or something at least to hear a Wilson.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
there are options on the used market, but I don't want to buy without knowing the house sound. with used and discontinued gear listening before buying is rather difficult.

I’m not sure how you will be able to ascertain the house sound on a system that is going to be, in all likelihood, completely different than yours. Your EA’s will certainly sound very diff to the Wilson’s ...and I think if you like the EA’s, then the Wilson’s will certainly either really float your boat...or they really will not. There won’t be much indecision.
Personally, and given your budget...which I am assuming is about $10k...as that is most likely what you will have to pay for a used pair of Wilson 8’s, I would look elsewhere....to a speaker that is less hobbled by that nasty tweeter. Many choices out there in both the new and used market.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
I’m not sure how you will be able to ascertain the house sound on a system that is going to be, in all likelihood, completely different than yours. Your EA’s will certainly sound very diff to the Wilson’s ...and I think if you like the EA’s, then the Wilson’s will certainly either really float your boat...or they really will not. There won’t be much indecision.
Personally, and given your budget...which I am assuming is about $10k...as that is most likely what you will have to pay for a used pair of Wilson 8’s, I would look elsewhere....to a speaker that is less hobbled by that nasty tweeter. Many choices out there in both the new and used market.
I think I'll try to see if there's a Sasha at the local dealer. Might give me an idea. Maybe they have something else than arc to power them in order to create a scenario closer to mine. Thanks.
I had the 8’s. Really enjoyed them. Power hungry...
I have loads of good power and current to spare, imo.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Reverendo, our Wilson dealer here in Dallas is Audio Concepts. Mark Ashworth is the owner. Give him a call to discuss your needs and an audition. I worked with Mark for many years.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Do the grills change anything in the sound of the Watt/Puppy? I prefer most speakers without grills, since they are not transparent, but some projects actually are intended to be used with the grills on. What is the case with the Watt/Puppy?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do the grills change anything in the sound of the Watt/Puppy? I prefer most speakers without grills, since they are not transparent, but some projects actually are intended to be used with the grills on. What is the case with the Watt/Puppy?

I used the Watt/Puppy 5 and later the 7 without grilles, they sounded more airy without them. The only person I have seen using the grilles had small children ...

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

I found my Watt Pups like Micro sounded more open with the Foam ( not grills per se in this case) off--it was not a finish befitting the product in my opinion--

they either rotted or deformed outa shape if you messed with them too much.

I've tended to remove grills on most of what I've run--except the LS3/5a's they were voiced with the covers on.

Early model Tannoy cloths were fixed to the cabinets also.

BruceD

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Thank you very much. I have reached out. Will see how that goes. ??

I'll be very interested to read your thoughts on the Wilsons versus the EAs, once you've heard the Wilsons.

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
I'm also bummed that I didn't know there was a pair of Evolution Acoustics in Dallas! I lived there for three years, and I have wanted to hear a pair.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I am an EA dealer and have a pair of Mini 2's and a customer with a killer sounding pair of MM3's. You are welcome to come over and hear either or both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing