What's Best in Bath Towels

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm looking for the Ultimate Bath Towel. None I can find and have tried have the absorbency that I want and occasionally find in 5 Star Hotels.

Someone also told me (or I read) that if you use fabric softener either in the washer or dryer) on bath towels they lose their absorbency. True or false?

Thanks

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
funny you bring this up - been searching for two years for perfect towels. i tried the Pottery Barn hydrocotton and Target Fieldcrest ones that come so highly recommended online. The former gets kinda scratchy after use and the latter had durability issues. I went back to my standby The Hotel Collection @ Macy's and they are awesome. If you want to spend more, Parachute has really quality stuff, but I haven't tried the towels.

i have no idea on the fabric softener question.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Fabric softner will do that, but not like a 100% seal.

Fabric softner makes skin break out. Bad skin? Wash everything in lots of vinegar and wash dryer out with vinegar. Then switch to wool dryer balls. This is not a joke. The fabric softner makes skin malfunction because it coats everything in a thin film.

Reactions: DaveC

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Haha, I don't know what's best in bath towels, but this might be top 10 in what's best in threads on WBF. And if consensus best bath towels are discovered, I'm in.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
funny you bring this up - been searching for two years for perfect towels. i tried the Pottery Barn hydrocotton and Target Fieldcrest ones that come so highly recommended online. The former gets kinda scratchy after use and the latter had durability issues. I went back to my standby The Hotel Collection @ Macy's and they are awesome. If you want to spend more, Parachute has really quality stuff, but I haven't tried the towels.

i have no idea on the fabric softener question.

This thread makes me realize my bath towels are old and coarse. They feel like the Motel 6 Collection.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I just went through a search for bath sheets a few months ago. I like a super sized towel.

I used to buy them from Restoration Hardware and loved their bath sheets but they seem to have changed and I don't like their new membership model. About 10 years ago the Restoration Hardware towels came from Baltic Linen but I think their vendor changed. Baltic Linen offers many different quality towels (some not so good) so don't rely on that brand name alone.

It is a fact that towel selection is a matter of personal taste. I tried Macy's Hotel Collection bath sheets and hated them (too light weight for my taste) but my wife loved them and she continues to use them daily. She felt my preferred towels were too heavy.

I ended up going with the Pottery Barn Turkish cotton towels - they are thick, heavy and absorbent if that is what you like. I did not like the Pottery Barn lighter weight bath sheets.

Over the years I also tried Front Gate, Lands End, Crate and Barrel and a few more. None of them worked for me and I returned them.

So, if a thick, heavy duty Turkish cotton towel is what you are after I recommend the Pottery Barn Turkish cotton (not their lighter weight hydroscopic towel).

As always, YMMV.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The strategist; some beach towels are actually bath towels, and one Utopia model is only $20. Here are the top best chameleon towels (bath and beach):

? http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-beach-towels.html

Best beach towel that’s actually a bath towel

Utopia Towels Soft Cotton Machine Washable Extra Large Bath Towel - $20

“I have now purchased these towels twice. I absolutely love the feel of them, and colors stay vibrant, wash after wash. I won’t sit here and tell you that these are the best towels ever created, but they are very nice towels. For the price, you are getting a great towel. The oversize aspect of it makes it a great beach towel, or just one you can wrap yourself up in after a nice hot, steamy shower.”

Also check out that beautiful round towel, she is simply gorgeous, and good for two people. Life's good.

Best round beach towel

No matter where you are or go; @ home getting out of the bathtub or shower, or @ the beach with your partner, there are designer towels for every occasion and decor.

Last edited:

thase13

VIP/Donor
Feb 22, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
We've been using Onsen towels for a while now. Admittedly they're different; quite different actually. These are not your conventional heavy traditional towels, nor do they even feel remotely thick, plush, and/or luxurious. They're very utilitarian, made of first class materials, absorb water like a sponge, dry quickly, and never emit an odd musty odor. They also have a 60-day, money back, guarantee so you can try before you commit.

One word of caution, if you're an OCD-freak, these towels are not for you. The natural supima cotton waffle weave results in a very rumpled, loose hang on the towel bar. If it's military corners you seek, look elsewhere.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I told my wife I wish we had very big and fluffy bath towels. One day she gifted us with a few sets embroidered with our initials too. I only looked at the brand after years of using them (they seem indestructible) as I read the OP.....Ralph Lauren. I admit I am a bit surprised.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Honcho of a multi-billion dollar clothing empire that never runs out of XL shirts LOL

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Following... It's hard to find pretty towels that are soft AND absorbent AND durable. Soft isn't always absorbent. I really like the Atelier 100% cotton towels by Kassatex. But they are hard to find and not cheap. Now... if they could also be pretty! Why is it that the pretty towels are never nice and soft and absorbent??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing