Future mercedes convertibles

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
If you have a chance to drive the new GT2RS, take them up on it.
Problem is with both cars, The Ferrari and the Porsche, that there is nowhere in the US ( at least that I am aware of--besides a track) that will allow either car to truly show what it is capable of. So, like so many of these 'super cars', you are paying for a lot of performance that really cannot be utilized. Yes, I agree with you, driving these babies is the way to go..

Couldn't agree more. My main home is in FL, flat and boring and home to the second most supercars outside of CA. Nice to drive a convertible until to hot OR more concerning a sudden storm. Nowhere to drive a great car the way it is supposed to be driven except making a 90degree turn into my development. Finally had enough of great cars in FL.

My second home in Montana has some fantastic roads for great cars BUT nowhere to get them serviced or fixed so in Montana I drive a truck.

I now drive an Audi RS3 in FL to give me some fun at a much cheaper price since there is no place to really drive a "supercar" in FL

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I recently drove two cars that are most impressive, and should be on anyone’s short list if funds allow.
The first was a Ferrari 488 Spyder...this baby has 650 HP and can do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. Drives like a charm and has everything one could use for daily driving or long trips...plus it is a real looker. The second was a lot more race car derived...a new Porsche GT2RS...this ultimate Porsche puts out 700 hp and can do 0-60 in 2.4secs. Not as easy to drive as the 488, and not as docile either, but a fun car in so many ways...
My dealer was telling me that the price asked was $179k over sticker!! Seemed a little hefty to me at a out the door price of $500k.
However, for that money you do get a Porsche that will leave almost everybody in the dust..

GT2RS 6:47 Nurbrugring time video. must watch to understand how awesome and other worldly this car is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl0HtR6MaXs

just as I was about to hit 'send' to this post, -4- F/A-18 Blue Angel Hornets flew over my workplace, in a tight turn, at about 1000 feet due to the low cloud cover (practicing for Saturday and Sunday shows over Lake Washington).:D:D:D

I stepped out of my office sliding door and they flew directly over my head. wow!!! that's some serious bass energy there I could feel head to toe.

makes any talk of high performance cars seem besides the point.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I was looking seriously at the GT2RS, that is until the dealer added the $179K markup over sticker as their additional profit incentive to make the sale!...Adios to that idea.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was looking seriously at the GT2RS, that is until the dealer added the $179K markup over sticker as their additional profit incentive to make the sale!...Adios to that idea.

you think that's something, several weeks ago I was in the Porsche dealership on PCH in Newport and was walking the showroom. There were some serious Porsches for sale but the grand daddy of them all was at the very back of the showroom. It was a turbo but some special edition which is limited to only a few. There was a $300K dealer markup to sticker

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
you think that's something, several weeks ago I was in the Porsche dealership on PCH in Newport and was walking the showroom. There were some serious Porsches for sale but the grand daddy of them all was at the very back of the showroom. It was a turbo but some special edition which is limited to only a few. There was a $300K dealer markup to sticker

Wow, these guys really must think there’s one born every minute..perhaps because there must be! The GT2RS I drove was apparently sold the next day!! Sounds like what you saw at the dealer was also a GT2RS.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

So they were asking near 500K for one of the most awesome cars that is relatively useless to be driven on most roads?

My first rule of any car is never pay above sticker, no matter how much I want it. My second rule is (now of course after I learned my lesson) not to buy a car that owns me instead of me owning it. My last rule is a car that is so uncomfortable to drive that the thrill (unless on a track) is lost after a few minutes just isn't worth it.

Because of all my "car wisdom" and ownership over the years my young partner asked my what car he should buy. I told him the 488. He said what about the GT3. I said the 488. He said what about the Turbo S. I told him the 488. He said what about the Vantage. I told him the 488.

So he goes and buys a California, several weeks after they announce the Portofino. Now he wants a 488.

All my "wisdom" lost on today's youth. LOL.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
AMG baby!!!
I am only able to afford a C43,

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
An interventional radiologist perhaps in your next life E ;)

That would require him to go to school, study and most importantly listen to someone other than himself. Ain’t happening in any life. LOL

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
An interventional radiologist perhaps in your next life E ;)

Steve

A friend of mine, a surgeon, when I asked him why he is still working at the age of 75?

He answered me, “well I spent my money on women, booze, cars and boats and the rest I squandered”

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That would require him to go to school, study and most importantly listen to someone other than himself. Ain’t happening in any life. LOL

I have a simple question...aren’t ad hominem attacks against the WBF policy? It seems that in this thread and in several others, people are calling others ‘trolls’... Here is another prime example....or am I missing something? Mods...:confused:

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I have a simple question...aren’t ad hominem attacks against the WBF policy? It seems that in this thread and in several others, people are calling others ‘trolls’... Here is another prime example....or am I missing something? Mods...:confused:

You’re kidding me???

I have been a friend of and a customer of Elliots for 30 years and am having some fun with Elliot and Steve who purposely made the comment in Elliot’s direction in reference to my job.

Yes you’re missing something. It’s called kidding around.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So they were asking near 500K for one of the most awesome cars that is relatively useless to be driven on most roads?

My first rule of any car is never pay above sticker, no matter how much I want it. My second rule is (now of course after I learned my lesson) not to buy a car that owns me instead of me owning it. My last rule is a car that is so uncomfortable to drive that the thrill (unless on a track) is lost after a few minutes just isn't worth it.

Because of all my "car wisdom" and ownership over the years my young partner asked my what car he should buy. I told him the 488. He said what about the GT3. I said the 488. He said what about the Turbo S. I told him the 488. He said what about the Vantage. I told him the 488.

So he goes and buys a California, several weeks after they announce the Portofino. Now he wants a 488.

All my "wisdom" lost on today's youth. LOL.

Well he might be going 488 after all since they'll ask you to buy a California to qualify for one.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
[B said:
Too many people buy Ferraris and are afraid of resale value and keep them in their garages under bubbles to keep them clean[/B]. When I had mine, the service guy from Maranello LOVED to work on my car because I drove the hell out of it. He would laugh at all the cars that were brought in for "service" and there was literally nothing for him to do. Life is too short not to drive amazing cars like this if you can afford them and if have one.

This made me smile! There are two kinds of Ferrari owners (not going to expand there) and two kinds of Ferraris. There are those Ferraris that appreciate and those that do not. A 488 is a driver, built as such and will maintain status quo. The Pista like Scuds, Stradales and Speciale's can and will appreciate, while not being super rare.

Every day I have the conversation with people telling them to drive it more and it wont melt in the rain. They in the end are costing themselves expensive repairs because the cars are rotting in the garage and they never enjoy driving it.

We have one guy with over 80k on his 458 and we have never done ANYTHING except yearly maintenance.

Enzo's, La Ferrari, 599 GTO Aperta, and the like, now those cars value lies in the no miles catagory.

DRIVE THE DAMN CAR!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This made me smile! There are two kinds of Ferrari owners (not going to expand there) and two kinds of Ferraris. There are those Ferraris that appreciate and those that do not. A 488 is a driver, built as such and will maintain status quo. The Pista like Scuds, Stradales and Speciale's can and will appreciate, while not being super rare.

Every day I have the conversation with people telling them to drive it more and it wont melt in the rain. They in the end are costing themselves expensive repairs because the cars are rotting in the garage and they never enjoy driving it.

We have one guy with over 80k on his 458 and we have never done ANYTHING except yearly maintenance.

Enzo's, La Ferrari, 599 GTO Aperta, and the like, now those cars value lies in the no miles catagory.

DRIVE THE DAMN CAR!

Drive the car..what a thought. But here’s the real question...from a car guy( and I have considered myself one since I was a small child) .. why not drive the 599 GTO or the La Ferrari or the Enzo....what’s the point of leaving them in the garage and insuring that the issues that you mention become reality. Here’s my thoughts on this....the car guy drives them, the “investor” who really couldn’t give give a hoot about the car, leaves it in the garage.
IMO, it actually a real pity that these cars have so much value, because if they didn’t, I really think they would be used a lot more than they are..and by people who really appreciate what they are and can do. If that makes sense.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You’re kidding me???

I have been a friend of and a customer of Elliots for 30 years and am having some fun with Elliot and Steve who purposely made the comment in Elliot’s direction in reference to my job.

Yes you’re missing something. It’s called kidding around.

Kidding around on an Internet forum is easy to do, and easily mistaken by people who may not know you...or your particular sense of humor. Just saying.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Drive the car..what a thought. But here’s the real question...from a car guy( and I have considered myself one since I was a small child) .. why not drive the 599 GTO or the La Ferrari or the Enzo....what’s the point of leaving them in the garage and insuring that the issues that you mention become reality. Here’s my thoughts on this....the car guy drives them, the “investor” who really couldn’t give give a hoot about the car, leaves it in the garage.
IMO, it actually a real pity that these cars have so much value, because if they didn’t, I really think they would be used a lot more than they are..and by people who really appreciate what they are and can do. If that makes sense.

You nailed it, they are investment pieces. Although one of my clients is going to put his Ferrari up for auction at Monterey this year and it is poised to be one of, if not the highest car ever sold at auction, and he had no problem driving it or letting others drive it.

If i had an Enzo, i would drive it till the doors fell off.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You nailed it, they are investment pieces. Although one of my clients is going to put his Ferrari up for auction at Monterey this year and it is poised to be one of, if not the highest car ever sold at auction, and he had no problem driving it or letting others drive it.

If i had an Enzo, i would drive it till the doors fell off.

Is that a 250 GTO? I do think that with a value of say $35+- Million, driving the car next to the soccer mom in her overloaded van might give one food for thought! On the other hand, that’s what insurance is for...yes I know the insurance guy has a conniption when it comes to driving vehicles like this.
BTW, I have a very good friend who also owns one of the most valuable cars in the world...it’s actually not a street car, and he drives it at the Goodwood revival and other exhibition/ hill climb events. Although recently he has only allowed the likes of Brian Redman and a few other names to drive it...
The insurance company requires an armed guard next to it whenever it gets transported anywhere...and the premium nowadays is a total joke...but that’s another story.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Kidding around on an Internet forum is easy to do, and easily mistaken by people who may not know you...or your particular sense of humor. Just saying.

I hear you but don’t assume it’s trolling and ad hominem so quickly. People know some more than others. Steve knows me and Elliot and was chiding Elliot and I jumped in.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Is that a 250 GTO? I do think that with a value of say $35+- Million, driving the car next to the soccer mom in her overloaded van might give one food for thought! On the other hand, that’s what insurance is for...yes I know the insurance guy has a conniption when it comes to driving vehicles like this.
BTW, I have a very good friend who also owns one of the most valuable cars in the world...it’s actually not a street car, and he drives it at the Goodwood revival and other exhibition/ hill climb events. Although recently he has only allowed the likes of Brian Redman and a few other names to drive it...
The insurance company requires an armed guard next to it whenever it gets transported anywhere...and the premium nowadays is a total joke...but that’s another story.

It is and this one is expected three times that. Keep your eye on Pebble Beach!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing