Future mercedes convertibles

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had my car in for service today and in the process test drove an AMG GT-C convertible as well as an AMG GT-R. Both of these cars were fun to drive and gave me pause as both had engines of 577 bhp

I said to the sales rep that at the money charged I would love to have a retractable hardtop like the SL series and he told me that 2019 is apparently the last year for Mercedes retractable hardtops and future convertibles will be soft top.

The GT-R is a beast to drive 0-60 in 3.5 secs

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Steve,

I am thinking back and forth about these two models: GTR or GTC. Which one to buy for my wife. GTR seems more practical for daily with grocery shopping and my little boy stuffs for my wife to throw in the back. But I always want a convertible although seems stupid to open top in mostly 38-40 degree temp and probably have roof down only a few times a year. It is for wifie but I want to have some fun in it some time too since I will be paying...hehe. How do you find the practicality of these two cars Steve?

I am also thinking a Targa 4S.

Kind regards,
Tang

Steve Williams

Dear Steve,

I am thinking back and forth about these two models: GTR or GTC. Which one to buy for my wife. GTR seems more practical for daily with grocery shopping and my little boy stuffs for my wife to throw in the back. But I always want a convertible although seems stupid to open top in mostly 38-40 degree temp and probably have roof down only a few times a year. It is for wifie but I want to have some fun in it some time too since I will be paying...hehe. How do you find the practicality of these two cars Steve?

I am also thinking a Targa 4S.

Kind regards,
Tang

The GT-R is not for your wife and child

0-60 in 3.5 secs

The GT-R has a very wide and low profile

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
She and I don’t drive this fast but we are quite accustomed to cars with this kind of speed Steve.

How did you find the visibility of GTC from inside and how big is the trunk?

Tang

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I cant come up with one logical reason for that move. RHT is more dependable, safer, does not rip or tear. They are quieter, less wind leaks and did I mention more reliable. When I see a soft top come in I want to run the other way.

Since I have been working for Scuderia Ferrari now for awhile, when I get in those aforementioned Benz, they feel so bulky and cumbersome by comparison. I worked a long time for Benz and love the brand and never thought i would ever mutter those words.

They are amazing cars to be sure, just a different approach!

When does your order come in?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You guys are lucky to be in the US. The GTR will cost me $530,000 here.

Steve Williams

I cant come up with one logical reason for that move. RHT is more dependable, safer, does not rip or tear. They are quieter, less wind leaks and did I mention more reliable. When I see a soft top come in I want to run the other way.

Since I have been working for Scuderia Ferrari now for awhile, when I get in those aforementioned Benz, they feel so bulky and cumbersome by comparison. I worked a long time for Benz and love the brand and never thought i would ever mutter those words.

They are amazing cars to be sure, just a different approach!

When does your order come in?

Totally agree Mike

They also have a new SL63 in the showroom that was loaded and same engine as the GT-C. I am considering this one but honestly I ike the body style of my SL55 more

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Steve, it is very interesting that you started this thread.

I actually approach it from a slightly different perspective. I do not care for the look of the AMG GT. I personally just don’t care for the big shark mouth front grill, which apparently is getting increasingly popular with Mercedes and Lexus.

I am not a big fan of Mercedes models in general, but I just happen to love, love, love the characteristics of the SL. For me the SL is small on the outside but large on the inside. If you check specifications you might be surprised to learn that the SL has more legroom than the front seats of most of the Mercedes sedans!

The SL as a large two-seat convertible with a retractable hardtop literally is a unique vehicle. No one else makes a car with this exact design brief. (Okay, I think one of the newer Ferrari models may be a large two-seater with a retractable hardtop, but I cannot consider that a daily driver for reliable, high mileage use.)

As far as I know the SL is the largest two-seat convertible in the world. Many convertibles are 2+2, but I don’t care about the rear seats, and the 2+2 results in reduced legroom for the front seats.

It is not that I have such long legs, obviously, but I like space. I have never cared for the genre of smaller two seat convertibles (Audi TT, Audi R8, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster, MB SLK, Jaguar F, etc.). I find all of them annoyingly small and cramped on the inside, whereas the two seats in the SL feel like the front half of a large sedan.

For a relatively small car on the outside it swallows a serious amount of luggage. The trunk accepts my giant 29” full-size suitcase on wheels. And you can stow two small to mid-size suitcases behind the seats.

Finally, I love the retractable hardtop. I just find there to be too much wind noise in a soft top convertible to be used as a daily driver in which I am almost constantly on the bluetooth telephone. Yes, the retractable hardtop makes the car heavier, but in cost/benefit analysis terms I love the solid weatherproof seal, the noise isolation from the outside and the physical security of a steel roof.

I bought my SL550, named Gunther, new in 2008. My personal dilemma/annoyance is that the next generation 2020 or 2021 SL is going to be a 2+2 soft-top — exactly what I don’t like and I don’t want!

And just to make it worse I really don’t think the current SL body style with its gills and sharper angles and body panels is as pretty as the smoother, simpler body style of Gunther and of your high-power SL.

Steve Williams

I agree Ron. I’ve been driving an SL since mid 80’s before the RHT.

I remain an SL fan. It’s just that I like the style of mine more than this newer one.

I have no problem with the look of the AMG GT but the sales rep told me I’d be tired of it in 6 months

Have a look at the Project One in another thread I just started.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
That's the main reason I didn't take my allocation for the GT-C. The retractable hardtop of my SL is perfect.... and to top it off, it has the AMG Performance package with 577HP. I got a Renntech tune and it now produces about 605HP. I don't like the style of the newer SL63, though it is better than the 2013 fiasco! Forget the Ferraris and McLarens.... I can't get in/out of the damn things! Like Ron said, it has plenty of room and comfort for trips. The only alternative I've been looking at are the newer Astons.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bruce, is there a big two-seat Aston with a retractable hardtop?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I recently drove two cars that are most impressive, and should be on anyone’s short list if funds allow.
The first was a Ferrari 488 Spyder...this baby has 650 HP and can do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. Drives like a charm and has everything one could use for daily driving or long trips...plus it is a real looker. The second was a lot more race car derived...a new Porsche GT2RS...this ultimate Porsche puts out 700 hp and can do 0-60 in 2.4secs. Not as easy to drive as the 488, and not as docile either, but a fun car in so many ways...
My dealer was telling me that the price asked was $179k over sticker!! Seemed a little hefty to me at a out the door price of $500k.
However, for that money you do get a Porsche that will leave almost everybody in the dust..

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I had my car in for service today and in the process test drove an AMG GT-C convertible as well as an AMG GT-R. Both of these cars were fun to drive and gave me pause as both had engines of 577 bhp

I said to the sales rep that at the money charged I would love to have a retractable hardtop like the SL series and he told me that 2019 is apparently the last year for Mercedes retractable hardtops and future convertibles will be soft top.

The GT-R is a beast to drive 0-60 in 3.5 secs

Always find it funny when SoCal peeps require a hard top :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No. But the new Aston Convertibles are very very quiet inside. Best interior fit-n-finish in business imo.

Tang

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's the main reason I didn't take my allocation for the GT-C. The retractable hardtop of my SL is perfect.... and to top it off, it has the AMG Performance package with 577HP. I got a Renntech tune and it now produces about 605HP. I don't like the style of the newer SL63, though it is better than the 2013 fiasco! Forget the Ferraris and McLarens.... I can't get in/out of the damn things! Like Ron said, it has plenty of room and comfort for trips. The only alternative I've been looking at are the newer Astons.

....with the AMG engines :D

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I recently drove two cars that are most impressive, and should be on anyone’s short list if funds allow.
The first was a Ferrari 488 Spyder...this baby has 650 HP and can do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. Drives like a charm and has everything one could use for daily driving or long trips...plus it is a real looker. The second was a lot more race car derived...a new Porsche GT2RS...this ultimate Porsche puts out 700 hp and can do 0-60 in 2.4secs. Not as easy to drive as the 488, and not as docile either, but a fun car in so many ways...
My dealer was telling me that the price asked was $179k over sticker!! Seemed a little hefty to me at a out the door price of $500k.
However, for that money you do get a Porsche that will leave almost everybody in the dust..

The GT2RS is not meant for mere mortals. The 488 clearly a better "all around" car if you are willing to drive it. Too many people buy Ferraris and are afraid of resale value and keep them in their garages under bubbles to keep them clean. When I had mine, the service guy from Maranello LOVED to work on my car because I drove the hell out of it. He would laugh at all the cars that were brought in for "service" and there was literally nothing for him to do. Life is too short not to drive amazing cars like this if you can afford them and if have one.

Here is a Yogi Berraism, but a Ferrari (488) is the cheapest car you can own, assuming you can afford one. Not talking the California or Portofino, but a "real" Ferrari really holds it's resale value more than any.

I had an original Vanquish and will NEVER buy another Aston ever ever again. Gorgeous to look at but the thing overheated every time I took it out and finally got rid of it after just a few months. Thankfully I did as the released a DB9 that looked very similar and almost as fast and the value of my Vanquish went through the floor. The good news about that car was I was able to get Greg Norman's BMW Z8 that he traded in for his Vanquish at 629/month lease, it had just under a 1000 miles on it and it was an awesome car to have for three years.

The GT-C is obviously a different car than the SL and they want to maintain that "classic top".

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The GT2RS is not meant for mere mortals. The 488 clearly a better "all around" car if you are willing to drive it. Too many people buy Ferraris and are afraid of resale value and keep them in their garages under bubbles to keep them clean. When I had mine, the service guy from Maranello LOVED to work on my car because I drove the hell out of it. He would laugh at all the cars that were brought in for "service" and there was literally nothing for him to do. Life is too short not to drive amazing cars like this if you can afford them and if have one.

Here is a Yogi Berraism, but a Ferrari (488) is the cheapest car you can own, assuming you can afford one. Not talking the California or Portofino, but a "real" Ferrari really holds it's resale value more than any.

I had an original Vanquish and will NEVER buy another Aston ever ever again. Gorgeous to look at but the thing overheated every time I took it out and finally got rid of it after just a few months. Thankfully I did as the released a DB9 that looked very similar and almost as fast and the value of my Vanquish went through the floor. The good news about that car was I was able to get Greg Norman's BMW Z8 that he traded in for his Vanquish at 629/month lease, it had just under a 1000 miles on it and it was an awesome car to have for three years.

The GT-C is obviously a different car than the SL and they want to maintain that "classic top".

If you have a chance to drive the new GT2RS, take them up on it.
Problem is with both cars, The Ferrari and the Porsche, that there is nowhere in the US ( at least that I am aware of--besides a track) that will allow either car to truly show what it is capable of. So, like so many of these 'super cars', you are paying for a lot of performance that really cannot be utilized. Yes, I agree with you, driving these babies is the way to go..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing