What's Best (Priced) Forum

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Perfect - I could see now that they are called "NCF Booster Signal " and show in the Furutech site http://www.furutech.com/products/ncf-booster-products/

Did some checking on this product. Helps secure big power cord connections to the AC outlet which tends to sag due to diameter and weight. Cost $350.

I had this issue with my Shunyata PC's. I placed some stiff packing foam (2" X 2" X height + 1/4" or so) between the shelf and the bottom of the power cord and "wedged" it in the gap to create a very firm / robust (no sag) connection. Doesn't look pretty but its behind all the gear and you can't see it unless you look around the back of the rack.

Cost $0.00. Just save some foam scraps from other electronic gear.

shapo

Jul 5, 2018
My friend wanted to support the power cable which was high on his desk so he added a whole bunch of extension shafts for his NCF Signal booster haha.
The booster piece in the middle of the tower is for structural support as the legs get wobbly from the extreme height
IMG-8353.jpg

Reactions: dgale

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
What kinda cable lifts do you guys use?

I've been experimenting with my wire setups and trying to make everything look tidy. With regards to sound improvements I haven't really had the patience to do testing.
I'd like to hear everyone's experiences and preferences!

Acoustic Revive RCI-3H for Speaker Cables

About 15 years ago I noticed that when I raised my speaker cables about 5 inches or so off the carpet there was a very small but still distinct improvement in clarity.

Eventually I purchased the NoNameHiFi ceramic cable lifters and used those for about 10 years. See pic below.

Then I read some positive feedback on the Shunyata Dark Field II cable lifters just making their way onto the scene. Having read positive things about the Dark Field I's, I purchased 2 boxes of 12 Dark Field II's.

Within a couple of days of installing the Dark Field II's, I noticed 2 nice little improvements and enjoyed them for about a month. See pic below.

Since I like to dabble with mechanical energy mgmt, the Dark Field II's improvements sparked an idea so I grabbed some acoustic foam bars 4" x 4" x 36" squares from storage, used my box cutter knife and cut 2 parallel 1/2" deep slits along one side of the 4 foam bars.

Then I buried my tiny Audio Tekne speaker cables inside the cut slits and powered on. Over the next 4 days I realized about double the improvements of the Dark Field ll's so I sold the Dark Field's and kept my acoustic foam cable lifters. See pic below.

Evaluating the construction and materials of the Dark Field ll's, I've no idea why they offered any improvements but they did and the Dark Fields are worth the money. I suspect they were better anchored into the carpet (no movement allowed there) at the base and their V-shaped tops probably limited cable moveent there too.

What prompted me to try my experiment with the acoustic foam bars after installing the Dark Field ll's was my recalling a Cardas video showing how a wire vibrates when current passes through it. So I suspect my very small girth Audio Tekne speaker cables fitting snuggly into the slits was perhaps just enough to curb some of the potential micro vibrations, but I really don't know.

Wasn't it Einstein who said, "Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why it's called research."?

nonamehifi cable lifters.jpg Shunyata Dark Field II cable lifters.jpg Custom Cable Lifters.JPG

Reactions: dubselect and shapo

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Absolutely. Less noise, better imaging, less smearing, etc.

Problem is they are inexpensive so many folks on this site are (unfortunately) unlikely to try them. :cool:

And they do reduce any "floor vibration" to a single point of contact for each case used.

Highly recommended for raising cables off the carpet for those that don't want to spend thousands of dollars on the "high end" lifters.
What about jitter? :eek:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello stehno,

For how much of the length of the wires do you have them encased in the foam?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have made them out of wood and heard no difference. I have also used glass. The cd case thing is cool on the cheap. The only real compelling reason to have them is if you live in a dry climate and have carpet that induces static electricity. Separating the cables from the carpet can reduce static interference. The other reason is they look cool if done sparingly.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hello stehno,

For how much of the length of the wires do you have them encased in the foam?

Hi, Ron. I'd say about 85% of the cables are embedded into the foam squares. Each square is 3 ft long and there are 2 foam squares per side as the speaker cables are about 7ft in length.

I was able to confirm the foam square's value when about 18 months ago I replaced the bi-wire Audio Teknes with an equally small set of fully-cryo'ed silver speaker cables purchased new. IME, new speaker cables always 5 - 7 days of continuous play to reach full burn-in status. So I was a bit purplexed when during the silver cables initial few days I noticed a handful of small improvements (well before the 5 day min mark). Then I remembered the square foams doing essentially the same for my previousl cables.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hi, Ron. I'd say about 85% of the cables are embedded into the foam squares. Each square is 3 ft long and there are 2 foam squares per side as the speaker cables are about 7ft in length.

I was able to confirm the foam square's value when about 18 months ago I replaced the bi-wire Audio Teknes with an equally small set of fully-cryo'ed silver speaker cables purchased new. IME, new speaker cables always 5 - 7 days of continuous play to reach full burn-in status. So I was a bit purplexed when during the silver cables initial few days I noticed a handful of small improvements (well before the 5 day min mark). Then I remembered the square foams doing essentially the same for my previousl cables.
Where do you get the 4X4X36 foam strips?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Where do you get the 4X4X36 foam strips?

I was about to say eBay but now that I think about it, I got these in 6ft runs from some large 7ft tall computer shipping crates received by my employer. I thought they might come in handy one day so I grabbed a handful of these. Then I cut a couple them in half for my use here to make a sharp angled curve.

So these are not acoustic foam squares but packing foam squares. If there's a difference.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I use SBA Iso-ESD cable lifters. Highly effective. 20190113_205448.jpg

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Getting IC's off a carpet floor makes sense and has some science behind it. You can use most anything, as long as it does not resonate. Big $'s for fancy name brands is silly. In the past I have made some with black heavy construction paper, formed into a cylinder, taped, and kitty litter in a baggy placed in the center to provide dampening. I have not A/B'd it myself, but Al Sekella, a sadly passed EE/Audiophile did, and convinced me. Today, I have various other approaches. Simply be creative. On wood floors, the need is much less. Vibration control is important, particularly with PC's. Strain control too. The pictured foam pucks are effective, and provide some space between PC's and IC's where they cross.

Attachments

• lifters.JPG
    lifters.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG-3617.JPG
    IMG-3617.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
"I use SBA Iso-ESD cable lifters. Highly effective"

Agreed. They are effective and relatively cheap. I have some too.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just balance the cables on €135 worth of banknotes, and buy a couple of beers w the €10 left over.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing