Kallax equivalent

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Have you guys seen alternatives?

I was about to grab this for records and storage. I waz going to add some more drawer/doors but then I noticed they won't ship........ SOB.

Are there any others? I found Kallax on Amazon but not that unit. To order all the inserts with the shelves is triple the money, so I have an ethical economic issue with it. While the Kallax are inexpensive, I am bit offed by this incongruency.

I have a smaller collection, so the storage for lots of electronic parts and stuff is what is really useful. I wasn't going to combo them until this possibility came up, now I am obsessed with the space saving possibility.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Target has something similar.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I discovered it is just the color I wanted on the Kallax, I can order other ones.

But then I discovered how much nicer the earlier shelves were, with reusable drawers and doors... Ikea def shot themselves in the foot by changing.

We'll see what I decide on. I don't want to get anything too substantial because I feel pretty certain I won't stay where I am for too long.

Correct me if I am wrong, are the Kallax not stronger than Target's and most cheap shelves? (And hence their popular use with people of all likes). I have never been to an Ikea store in person. If all these shelves are as pathetic as some I've seen... maybe I will just make some or rethink.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I discovered it is just the color I wanted on the Kallax, I can order other ones.

But then I discovered how much nicer the earlier shelves were, with reusable drawers and doors... Ikea def shot themselves in the foot by changing.

We'll see what I decide on. I don't want to get anything too substantial because I feel pretty certain I won't stay where I am for too long.

Correct me if I am wrong, are the Kallax not stronger than Target's and most cheap shelves? (And hence their popular use with people of all likes). I have never been to an Ikea store in person. If all these shelves are as pathetic as some I've seen... maybe I will just make some or rethink.

I am in the same boat and found my 5X5 on Facebook Market Place in perfect condition for $40 and had it in my home in 2 hours, they are abundant on those sites.

20171203_131159.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I would do the Kallax and buy the cheap baskets that are designed to fit in each cube. Those are still priced affordably.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

The Kallax are popular for two reasons: LPs fit and you can store plenty for not much $. I don't think the quality is anything more than a little above average. It is just veneered MDF but at this price, that's the best you can do. I have had mine going back 12 years and they have held up nicely.

You used to be able to get some nice cubed CD inserts for their Billy bookshelves but those have been sadly discontinued.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Thanks for the comments.

I know they aren't hardwood. But until I know a more permanent physical space detail, I won't be going hardwood.

If they hold up nicely that's good enough. I've seen too many OSB type coated shelves that could never hold up vinyl. I may get a Billy for my recent picks that I am playing more often, and do this.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks for the comments.

I know they aren't hardwood. But until I know a more permanent physical space detail, I won't be going hardwood.

If they hold up nicely that's good enough. I've seen too many OSB type coated shelves that could never hold up vinyl. I may get a Billy for my recent picks that I am playing more often, and do this.

No worries, they hold up well. I have half of my 4,000 LPs in around 38 cubes of Kallax. The other half is in a storage closet so the music room stays tidy. I have not had any problems. Surprisingly durable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing